C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with buying decision!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 02:05 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with buying decision!!

Hello, this will be sort of long so I apologize. I debated a long time before deciding to ask this because I didn't want to be the one beating a dead horse. I researched the forum for answers to my question and was able to find useful but unfulfilling information. My dream car for as long as I can remember was a C6 Corvette and here in the next month or so when my training ends, I'll have enough funds to make the plunge. My current debate is getting a 2013 Base Coupe fully loaded with about 50,000 miles or a 2008 Z06 fully loaded with about 80,000 miles on it. I could also consider a 2010 Z for 3 grand extra. All 3 cars are in the $30,000 range which is about what I am sitting with. I know its been said to get the newest corvette possible with the lowest miles so that would be the 2013, plus the 2013 would be more practical and driveable all the time, and it would make the SO happier lol... but at the same time I feel because I can get a Z for the same price, well, that would make sense. But also this car will be my daily driver and also my first sports car. I know the Z will be more expensive to maintain but how big is that cost difference actually? I've checked insurance prices between the two and with USAA the difference wasn't that much, but I will check again. So given all that info, what would you guys do? Thank you all so much and once again, I'm sorry it's so long and kind of repetitive.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

The tires for the base car will be cheaper and available in more variety than those for the Z06, and be sure to think about items which may require "normal maintenance" at the mileages of each of the respective choices.

Also, the Z06 may need to have the valve guides at least inspected for wear. Falls into the model year range where there has been reported issues.

Good luck with your decision, as long as there still is time, you never know, maybe another one or two will catch your eye.

Last edited by rkj427; 11-12-2017 at 02:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteZ0607 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:29 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by rkj427
The tires for the base car will be cheaper and available in more variety than those for the Z06, and be sure to think about items which may require "normal maintenance" at the mileages of each of the respective choices.

Also, the Z06 may need to have the valve guides at least inspected for wear. Falls into the model year range where there has been reported issues.

Good luck with your decision, as long as there still is time, you never know, maybe another one or two will catch your eye.
Thank you very much sir, I did forget about the valve issue. From looking at it, it seems like the base would be the better starting point.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:32 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ0607
Thank you very much sir, I did forget about the valve issue. From looking at it, it seems like the base would be the better starting point.
can't go wrong with ANY model C6, they ALL are great vehicles.............
Old 11-12-2017, 02:41 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

can't go wrong with ANY model C6, they ALL are great vehicles.............
Damn right! Thank you again!
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

If you have never had a sports car before then I think the base C6 will be enough power for you. I have owned several Corvettes, a twin turbo BMW and V8 Mercedes and Jaguar cars. The power and acceleration of the LS3 still amazes me. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:22 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
If you have never had a sports car before then I think the base C6 will be enough power for you. I have owned several Corvettes, a twin turbo BMW and V8 Mercedes and Jaguar cars. The power and acceleration of the LS3 still amazes me. Good luck.
I agree with that definitely. Thank you for sharing your experience with the cars! Typing it up really helped me kinda make more sense of the decision. Take care!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Stig13
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had been looking over the last year and a half. Loved the wide body look and narrowed it down there but as rkj427 said, you really can't go wrong. The base has a lot of power and surprised me when I first drove it and as I'm sure you've read if you want more power it's easy to do with these cars.

I'd lean toward a slightly earlier model year base with lower miles. You're not going to find a ton of difference if you get a 2010 base vs 2013, so IMO lower the mileage and enjoy the car longer before having to address any normal wear items.

Once I drove a Z06 though, I was hooked . I have another car that I was/could use as a daily driver but the Vette is just so much fun it gets driven most days. It's great as a daily driver but an automatic may make that easier if you deal with a lot of traffic. For me, my Vette had to be manual regardless of trim or traffic.

Especially if it's your first "real" sports car, you'll love the hell out of driving it. You'll get a ton of compliments and questions, almost all from guys...that should make the SO happy lol! My wife was worried this car would be a panty dropper, but with the exception of a lady at the store with a Roush Mustang, it's been all dudes. My neighbor and another friend are die hard Mustang guys and never seriously considered a Vette. They're both amazed and drool over mine

Take your time and be comfortable with your purchase. You'll probably know when you find "the one." There are a lot out there to choose from so don't buy just to have one. Enjoy your search!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:59 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stig13
I had been looking over the last year and a half. Loved the wide body look and narrowed it down there but as rkj427 said, you really can't go wrong. The base has a lot of power and surprised me when I first drove it and as I'm sure you've read if you want more power it's easy to do with these cars.

I'd lean toward a slightly earlier model year base with lower miles. You're not going to find a ton of difference if you get a 2010 base vs 2013, so IMO lower the mileage and enjoy the car longer before having to address any normal wear items.

Once I drove a Z06 though, I was hooked . I have another car that I was/could use as a daily driver but the Vette is just so much fun it gets driven most days. It's great as a daily driver but an automatic may make that easier if you deal with a lot of traffic. For me, my Vette had to be manual regardless of trim or traffic.

Especially if it's your first "real" sports car, you'll love the hell out of driving it. You'll get a ton of compliments and questions, almost all from guys...that should make the SO happy lol! My wife was worried this car would be a panty dropper, but with the exception of a lady at the store with a Roush Mustang, it's been all dudes. My neighbor and another friend are die hard Mustang guys and never seriously considered a Vette. They're both amazed and drool over mine

Take your time and be comfortable with your purchase. You'll probably know when you find "the one." There are a lot out there to choose from so don't buy just to have one. Enjoy your search!
I loved your post man! Thank you so much for that! I agree that at the end of the day, I'll be happy just driving a corvette! Take care brother!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...Good luck with your decision, as long as there still is time, you never know, maybe another one or two will catch your eye.
I agree. I would also chat with your insurance agent...that might be an eye opener.

Mansfield, Texas...the home of wayback who also posts on here. Send him PM and I'm sure he will be most helpful.

wayback

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2017, 04:31 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I agree. I would also chat with your insurance agent...that might be an eye opener.

Mansfield, Texas...the home of wayback who also posts on here. Send him PM and I'm sure he will be most helpful.

wayback

Good luck!
Thank you so much, I definitely will do both of those! Take care!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Back in 2013 I wanted another Vette, liked the Z06, but no auto and no Vert so I went for a GS and have been very happy with a 2011, GS with a6 and its a vert.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Howdy neighbor.

Lots of good advice here. Which ever one you choose have it checked out by a good mechanic. We are lucky and have Twenty-first Century and LG Motorsports close. Both top notch and among the best in the country.

Classic Chevy in Grapevine is known for sales and service of Corvettes.

Be glad to help anyway I can.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Daddy Freeman
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ0607
Hello, this will be sort of long so I apologize. I debated a long time before deciding to ask this because I didn't want to be the one beating a dead horse. I researched the forum for answers to my question and was able to find useful but unfulfilling information. My dream car for as long as I can remember was a C6 Corvette and here in the next month or so when my training ends, I'll have enough funds to make the plunge. My current debate is getting a 2013 Base Coupe fully loaded with about 50,000 miles or a 2008 Z06 fully loaded with about 80,000 miles on it. I could also consider a 2010 Z for 3 grand extra. All 3 cars are in the $30,000 range which is about what I am sitting with. I know its been said to get the newest corvette possible with the lowest miles so that would be the 2013, plus the 2013 would be more practical and driveable all the time, and it would make the SO happier lol... but at the same time I feel because I can get a Z for the same price, well, that would make sense. But also this car will be my daily driver and also my first sports car. I know the Z will be more expensive to maintain but how big is that cost difference actually? I've checked insurance prices between the two and with USAA the difference wasn't that much, but I will check again. So given all that info, what would you guys do? Thank you all so much and once again, I'm sorry it's so long and kind of repetitive.
Go with the base C6. It will be worry free. You can always add Z06 exterior items to give it more style.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:11 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boilerman
Back in 2013 I wanted another Vette, liked the Z06, but no auto and no Vert so I went for a GS and have been very happy with a 2011, GS with a6 and its a vert.
The GS seems like a good compromise for the two, plus you still get that great widebody look! Thank you for sharing! Take care!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:13 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by wayback
Howdy neighbor.

Lots of good advice here. Which ever one you choose have it checked out by a good mechanic. We are lucky and have Twenty-first Century and LG Motorsports close. Both top notch and among the best in the country.

Classic Chevy in Grapevine is known for sales and service of Corvettes.

Be glad to help anyway I can.
Howdy! Thank you for responding, I'll definitely keep those places in mind before buying! I'm currently at Lackland but when I get back to DFW, I'll try and make contact with you before buying. Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daddy Freeman
Go with the base C6. It will be worry free. You can always add Z06 exterior items to give it more style.
That is also true, more things to do with a base model. Thanks for your reply! Take care!

Get notified of new replies

To Help with buying decision!!

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM
CorvetteZ0607
Advanced

Wow, you guys have given me so much helpful input! I think those mental debates can be put to rest now. Thank you all so much for your time!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:13 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Decide WHY you are buying a Corvette, and what you expect from it, and how you expect to use it. That should steer you in the right direction.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:18 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Decide WHY you are buying a Corvette, and what you expect from it, and how you expect to use it. That should steer you in the right direction.
The voice of reason.

Quick Reply: Help with buying decision!!