C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me, need better audio in my vert.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:30 PM
vettefan311
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Please help me, need better audio in my vert.

Hello experts, I'm looking for advice. I have a 2013 427 vert and the sound from the factory stereo just isn't doing it for me. I'd like to upgrade it over the winter and need to figure out what to get. I'd like to keep the factory head unit (I know it's probably not the greatest), so what are my options? Also, trunk space is at a premium for me, so I can't put a sub or mount an amp back there. Ideally I'd like to upgrade the door speakers and add an amp (under passenger seat?), will that work with stock head unit? What about the speakers behind the seats, can I replace those with small subs?

Im not looking for ground shaking bass or anything like that, just want to be able to hear the tunes better with the top down. My car has LTs, bullet exhaust and a cam, so stereo improvements are necessary. Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I would recommend replacing the door speakers with a really good set of component speakers. I know you are reluctant to add a sub woofer but there are options that don't take up much space and is almost a must if you want to upgrade and have a good sounding system. Good component in the front with a 3 channel amp to power the front speakers and a sub woofer and possibly a DSP like the Audison Bit Ten and you would have a recipe for a great sounding system while still keeping the factory head unit.

DSP's are great add-on for guys looking to keep a factory head unit and will really improve the sound quality coming from your head unit.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

There's an audio/electronics section in the general area:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/

Lots of good info in there on exactly what you're asking
Old 11-16-2017, 01:13 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Go to the audio section...too many choices depending on your budget.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I' going to be honest with you here, you'e asking for something from nothing. You'e made the car dramatically louder, started with less space and a drop top, and won' give up any trunk space.

The factory Bose system is already amplified. It includes 8" subs in the doors, and so if you replace them, you will lose almost all your bass, which you'e not willing to replace with a sub in the trunk.

If all you want is volume, you can get a high powered amp, and speakers with a high sensitivity to be louder. But it won't sound better, or even good. You need to figure out what trade off you'e willing to make. Will you give up space, will you give up sound quality, or will you give up background noise? Those are your 3 *****, and some are easier to change than others.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

All goals are possible.
1) Replace all oem speakers first.
2) Add sub woofer to trunk either custom enclosure for the side pockets or a Bazooka tube. 4" tube may fit behind waterfall?
3) Test sound.
4) Add amps and cross overs.
5) Add tweeters.
Either go in steps if budgeting or just replace all from the get go.
Again your plan is reasonable.
Best check the audio forum section.

PS Mine...Stock head unit, into amp/ crossover under pass floor board next to fuse box, all speakers upgraded, rear tweeters added, tube sub added in trunk, into duel amps under folded top/ tonnou (sp) (on truck floor) I think that sums it up. Sound is acceptable for me.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:12 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

JL Audio sells some stealth subwoofer boxes with subs for the C6 convertible that goes behind each headrest. They are a little pricey but if you go to a shop or authorized dealer, you could probably talk them down quite a bit.

A lot depends on budget, but to do it right with some good stuff I would say $2-$3.5K would get you a great sounding system. $2k if you do the install yourself or closer to $3.5k to have someone do it.

Also, a DSP like I mentioned in an earlier post will give you the ability to plug a laptop into your system and totally customize the sound. It can take a below average sound quality head unit and turn it into a great sounding unit comparable or better than many higher end aftermarket head units.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:32 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get rid of the rag top.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 PM
89Roadster
Race Director

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

There is plenty of room in the left storage cubbyhole to put a couple of decent amplifiers in.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me, need better audio in my vert.

Quick Reply: Please help me, need better audio in my vert.