C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ! Replacing alternator

Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by chureah
Wow i didn’t know that I’ll take it tomorrow and get th alternator tested then thank you
Hello. Yes I suggested that in post # 86. This isn't rocket science. Some guys here can make your head spin. Good luck! It could easily be the alt.

Last edited by REDZED2; 11-18-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

6 pages on this subject, hope it doesn't turn out like some do and we never find out the solution
NSF
Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
Try opening your hood, look at the two battery cables, try to move them side ways, if they move, they need be to tighten.
1bd...he probably needs to look at the cable to the starter, that is the one that often gets hot and burns out.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Also, i called Chevrolet and they said it would be 900 freaking dollars to replace the alternator
GEEZ, MAN....STOP CALLING CHEVROLET!!!!

Any mechanic in town can do it, if that is what it really needs.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

this thread is absolutely painful!!!! it is so frustrating to try to follow the "progress", which is minimal.

Everyone is telling her that it is a simple job, yet she wants to know if she should "call a mobile mechanic for a diagnostic"...Hell, yes, and let him install the alternator or battery.

we all should read the first couple pages of this post to understand why WE ALL do not read every answer to a post before answering...
Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
this thread is absolutely painful!!!! it is so frustrating to try to follow the "progress", which is minimal.

Everyone is telling her that it is a simple job, yet she wants to know if she should "call a mobile mechanic for a diagnostic"...Hell, yes, and let him install the alternator or battery.

we all should read the first couple pages of this post to understand why WE ALL do not read every answer to a post before answering...
There is something FISHY about this thread......
Old 11-18-2017, 11:33 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Female ?

Very young ?
OK.

Replacing the alternator on the C6 is one of the easier jobs on this car, but it does help to have another set of hands.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:38 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The OP don't need a new alternator.

If you read all the posts in this thread, you will find that her mechanic replaced the starter, and all is fine now.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 AM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
If you want brand new GM parts for your Corvette (not remanufactured) ....

Here is a new ACDelco alternator that is correct for your 2007 Corvette.

And, this is a job that takes less the 30 minutes to install.

ACDelco P/N: 25888970

$ 312.79

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....433662&jsn=461

Caution.....I had two purchases from Rock Auto, the last one for my Camry. Nothing but junk from these people. Difficult to deal with and returns are at your expense. Never again.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Cut this young lady some slack. If this was some random guy no one would be fawning all over him or giving him any posts for that matter. Because she's a girl, she gets extra extra attention. Too many cooks in the kitchen in this thread.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by wantbluC6
Cut this young lady some slack. If this was some random guy no one would be fawning all over him or giving him any posts for that matter. Because she's a girl, she gets extra extra attention. Too many cooks in the kitchen in this thread.
It's the nature of males.

My whole perspective changed of the OP once I realized she's female.
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:21 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

That's why I dropped out of the conversation.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If it were a guy, several members that may live close by would offer to help. I've seen this many times on this site. We have some great members here.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
If it were a guy, several members that may live close by would offer to help. I've seen this many times on this site. We have some great members here.
And being a girl, I'm sure a LOT of (age-compatible) nearby members would be more than happy to help her out.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:26 PM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a headache now.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

To check and see if its the alternator you might want to jump the car and get it running then pull the negative battery cable off and if it dies then the alternator is most likely bad. If it stays running the battery you have might just not be good or the starter could be going out.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM
chureah
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here’s an update on the car. The start was replaced Friday and the fusable link wire he replaced while I was at work on Monday . He charged me $75 and when I checked his work he didn’t actually replace the wire, he just got a new wire and attached it to the alternator from the battery while the old wire was still attached. I looked and ask why he didn’t replace the old wire and he said he saved me money on labor which seemed nice but also a little sketchy. There was about one foot of extra wire that he just trucked by the battery and I asked him why he didn’t cut the wire to make it shorter so it wasn’t ghetto and super long tucked behind the battery and he just made some excuse. I didn’t think it would would be too big of a deal so that was that but now I realized my inside lights aren’t working ( the power window button lights and ac button lights and my tail lights aren’t working now either. So I called the mechanic and asked him to fix th problem. I’m worried I hope he didn’t **** the wiring up. His wire installation took him like 5 minutes just throwing that it there. Opinions and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Get notified of new replies

To Help ! Replacing alternator

Old 11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2

It's only painful because you stuck around for so long. You need to learn the fine art of *skimming*. Just get a flavor of each post and move on. When something important catches your eye, read that one. Otherwise, keep going. And if after the first couple of pages you can see where it's going (or not going), don't keep reading. No one is forcing you to keep reading. Right?
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

So here’s an update on the car. The start was replaced Friday and the fusable link wire he replaced while I was at work on Monday . He charged me $75 and when I checked his work he didn’t actually replace the wire, he just got a new wire and attached it to the alternator from the battery while the old wire was still attached. I looked and ask why he didn’t replace the old wire and he said he saved me money on labor which seemed nice but also a little sketchy. There was about one foot of extra wire that he just trucked by the battery and I asked him why he didn’t cut the wire to make it shorter so it wasn’t ghetto and super long tucked behind the battery and he just made some excuse. I didn’t think it would would be too big of a deal so that was that but now I realized my inside lights aren’t working ( the power window button lights and ac button lights and my tail lights aren’t working now either. So I called the mechanic and asked him to fix th problem. I’m worried I hope he didn’t **** the wiring up. His wire installation took him like 5 minutes just throwing that it there. Opinions and suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Young Lady: May i ask how many miles on your car.I was reading your posts about a week ago, and it is still going and i don't remember if you said how many miles you had....BTW...Get another MECHANIC...Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 AM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Not sure where she lives but I bet there would be several offer to drive over and help!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help ! Replacing alternator