C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groaning/rubbing when turning right SPOILER: Not the diff or tires!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM
invadermoose
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Groaning/rubbing when turning right SPOILER: Not the diff or tires!

This is my 3rd time posting this and my 3rd time attempting to find the cause. The first time I posted everyone told me to change the diff fluid as this is a common issue. I did that, I did it properly, and that didnt fix it.

The second time everyone told me it must be the wheel bearings, but I knew then and now that it is not the wheel bearings... 3rd times a charm, right? I could take the car to someone but it isnt my daily so I dont really care that much.

So heres the deal:

When stationary and in park, if I turn the wheel to the left or the right nothing happens. I can hear the tires rubbing on the ground but of course that is normal.

When moving at any speed (traffic speeds) and taking right turns, I can hear what sounds like a groaning or rubbing noise coming from the front right wheel (passenger side) of the car. Its very similar to the sound you hear when you turn your tires on asphalt but arent moving, except I am moving. I've check the tires and they arent old or worn, Ive checked the wheel bearings and they're good, I've checked to see if tire is somehow rubbing on ANYTHING and it is not. Visually everything in the front looks fine. This doesnt happen on left turns.

The only thing I can think of is a warped rotor or a brake piston is malfunctioning somehow. The brakes and pads are visibly in good condition and this car is never tracked or driven hard these days, so I'm not sure how a pad would suddenly warp. This is a weekender and I've probably put 4000 miles on it in the last 2 years. I havent tested if the noise happens only when I'm on the brakes or if it happens just whenever the car is going to the right. I'll have to look into that.

Things it isnt
old tires
rubbing tires
wheel bearing
differential
loose lugnuts

Any ideas will be looked into. I'd be pretty happy if someone could solve this. I dont have a lift so getting under the car is a massive pain which is why I havent done my own in depth investigation.

Last edited by invadermoose; 11-18-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Do a Google search for "C6 corvette tire scrubbing".
Old 11-18-2017, 09:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Too soon? I am a horrible person.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by invadermoose
This is my 3rd time posting this and my 3rd time attempting to find the cause. The first time I posted everyone told me to change the diff fluid as this is a common issue. I did that, I did it properly, and that didnt fix it.

The second time everyone told me it must be the wheel bearings, but I knew then and now that it is not the wheel bearings... 3rd times a charm, right? I could take the car to someone but it isnt my daily so I dont really care that much.

So heres the deal:

When stationary and in park, if I turn the wheel to the left or the right nothing happens. I can hear the tires rubbing on the ground but of course that is normal.

When moving at any speed (traffic speeds) and taking right turns, I can hear what sounds like a groaning or rubbing noise coming from the front right wheel (passenger side) of the car. Its very similar to the sound you hear when you turn your tires on asphalt but arent moving, except I am moving. I've check the tires and they arent old or worn, Ive checked the wheel bearings and they're good, I've checked to see if tire is somehow rubbing on ANYTHING and it is not. Visually everything in the front looks fine. This doesnt happen on left turns.

The only thing I can think of is a warped rotor or a brake piston is malfunctioning somehow. The brakes and pads are visibly in good condition and this car is never tracked or driven hard these days, so I'm not sure how a pad would suddenly warp. This is a weekender and I've probably put 4000 miles on it in the last 2 years. I havent tested if the noise happens only when I'm on the brakes or if it happens just whenever the car is going to the right. I'll have to look into that.

Things it isnt
old tires
rubbing tires
wheel bearing
differential
loose lugnuts

Any ideas will be looked into. I'd be pretty happy if someone could solve this. I dont have a lift so getting under the car is a massive pain which is why I havent done my own in depth investigation.
Interestingly, things you haven't mentioned are alignment, front suspension, or steering components. If something was badly out of adjustment, worn or loose such that the steering geometry was way off when making a right turn, then you might get a scrubbing sound. Presumably, it's not tire pressure, otherwise the TPMS would be screaming at you. Nonetheless, a check with a pressure gauge is never a bad idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Groaning/rubbing when turning right SPOILER: Not the diff or tires!

Quick Reply: Groaning/rubbing when turning right SPOILER: Not the diff or tires!