C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car alarm went off for the first time,,,at work

Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM
DTbull
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Car alarm went off for the first time,,,at work

Hello all , hope you can give me some insight on this latest issue. I park my vette , a 2010 GS coupe in the same spot in ear shot of my office . Today i hear a car alarm going off and get up to investigate, not thinking it would be mine. But yes , it is. i have it set to auto lock and alarm when i get out of the car. As i approach, it automatically shuts off. i had my fob in my pocket. i looked around for any damage or forced entry and theirs none. i am thinking probably a fluke or possible problem staring with the electrical. when i got home and parked her in the garage i noticed a big oily palm print on top of the drivers window like some one was pushing down hard on the glass like they were trying to gain entry. i checked my front view video recorder and it started recording motion 1 minute before i came out to investigate but didn't show what set it off.so 2 questions, would this be enough to set off the factory alarm, pushing down on the window? the alarm should shut off as i approached with the fob,i am assuming this is normal?

Last edited by DTbull; 11-19-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-2017, 02:53 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

The alarm will only activate when a door, hood or hatch/trunk is opened or when the emergency panic button is pressed on the fob which is what I suspect you did accidentally. It did not sense you approaching and shut off. It's on a timer and probably timed out coincidentally when you arrived.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

If not accidentally triggered, might've been a stray signal.
Our CTS4 is parked next to my Z, when I press unlock for Z Cad's lights flash. That's it, just flashes once.

Probably a weird one-off, this time.
If it repeats there's likely an issue.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

When I first bought my car I had other keys on the fob and the alarm drove me crazy. I find that no other keys on the fob solved the problem.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

EVROSE said it correctly. You probably pushed the panic button accidentally, or it got against something like another key or coin in your pocket and set it off. My 2001 coupe used to do this all the time.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:24 AM
DTbull
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input. i think your right. i just tested the panic button from my office and it did go off through several walls...

Get notified of new replies

To Car alarm went off for the first time,,,at work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car alarm went off for the first time,,,at work