C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced shifter bushings = awesome

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Huncle J
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replaced shifter bushings = awesome

My 06 has 124k miles and am assuming original shifter bushings. I ordered “shifter lower housing bushings” from zip for $15 + s/h ($27.50 total).
The shifter was pulling too far to the left so when you went into first or second, it would feel like it was going over a little bump to the right before going into gear. I could work around it, but not the shifting experience I want or expect in a corvette. The bushings were meant to be a stop gap til I could get a MGW, now I am not sure I need one!
I followed instructions on MGW website to remove the shifter. Most difficult part was releasing the electrical clips for the traction control button and the 12V outlet. The clips for cig lighter and hazards switch were easier.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Huncle J
Instructor

Originally Posted by bjohn
Did you find that your shifter "cup?" bushing had started to really disintegrate? I jsut replaced my OEM stuff with an MGW this weekend and found that the lower shifter housing was just full of plastic shavings.
yeah, it was everywhere but didnt think it was from the shifter cup. I didnt pay a lot of attention, but it looked more like crumbles rubber, too much to just be from thebushings though. I cleaned it all up and it shifts like a dream now. Still would like a shorter throw but not $400 worth...

edit: after more thought, I believe the black crumbles are primarily from the bottom of that rubber “mat” that lays on top of the shifter base. I know mine ripped when I pulled it out.

Last edited by Huncle J; 11-21-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:55 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Two things,

If you remove the screw from the front plastic piecce, you can pull the entire rod out of the housing to clean and re-grease the rod in the lower housing.

Yes, you still want the MGW, and it will be night and day how precise the MGW shifter shifts, compared to the OEM unit that feels like it came out of a ford Ferguson tracker with it sloppiness/vagueness instead. Hence it not all about the short throw,since you can adjust the MGW to have as long as throw as you want, but when you are banging down gears, and with the MGW, you now that you are in the correct gear each and every time instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-21-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Huncle J
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Two things,

If you remove the screw from the front plastic piecce, you can pull the entire rod out of the housing to clean and re-grease the rod in the lower housing.

Yes, you still want the MGW, and it will be night and day how precise the MGW shifter shifts, compared to the OEM unit that feels like it came out of a ford Ferguson tracker with it sloppiness/vagueness instead. Hence it not all about the short throw,since you can adjust the MGW to have as long as throw as you want, but when you are banging down gears, and with the MGW, you now that you are in the correct gear each and every time instead.
**In Forrest Gump voice**
and just like that MGW was back at the top of the to buy list
The following users liked this post:
Richard F (01-22-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

West Coast Corvette sells the rubber bushings which are more like the OEM but better.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-3...and-sport.aspx

Last edited by RussM05; 01-21-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced shifter bushings = awesome

Quick Reply: Replaced shifter bushings = awesome