C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10s NA Bolt Ons and Stock Exhaust.... Can it be done

Old 03-19-2018, 01:42 PM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mellojoe
Wait, are you still on the stock cam? Wouldn't a cam ground for WOT and high RPM usage give you some more ooomph on the top end? If you've changed springs, what was the reasoning behind staying with the stock cam? I re-read the thread and I see you are trying to stay "bolt-on", but swapping a cam is about as easy as swapping valves springs. Or at least it isn't too much more work at that point. Even if you didn't go with a massive cam that killed idle, you could probably pick up a few more mph at the top end, which could translate into the 10s.

by the way, massive respect for hitting 11.0 on a nearly "stealth" build. Cool to see.
Thanks Joe! I will be in the 10s no problem. I have headers and X pipe sitting here as well as flex fuel. The car has yet to see a dyno so I may find some power yet there as well. Heres an in car of the 11.07 pass
Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Very nice! Goes to show that the best mod, is the driver mod!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayhawkCPA
Very nice! Goes to show that the best mod, is the driver mod!
Thank you kind sir! I had a couple Z06 scratch there heads sunday LOL
Old 03-19-2018, 05:41 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by mellojoe
Wait, are you still on the stock cam? Wouldn't a cam ground for WOT and high RPM usage give you some more ooomph on the top end? If you've changed springs, what was the reasoning behind staying with the stock cam? I re-read the thread and I see you are trying to stay "bolt-on", but swapping a cam is about as easy as swapping valves springs. Or at least it isn't too much more work at that point. Even if you didn't go with a massive cam that killed idle, you could probably pick up a few more mph at the top end, which could translate into the 10s.

by the way, massive respect for hitting 11.0 on a nearly "stealth" build. Cool to see.
Swapping a cam is about as easy as changing the springs ??.....someones been in their daddys liquor cabinet again.....
The following users liked this post:
Noveske (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 AM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Originally Posted by windyC6
Swapping a cam is about as easy as changing the springs ??.....someones been in their daddys liquor cabinet again.....

LOL I agree a cam change is the least of my worries anyway. This thing should click off a 10.9 by accident next time out.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 PM
dieselracer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post the time slips?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 AM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Here you go
Attached Images    
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 AM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM
BoostedLS
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work! Definitely got that driver mod!
lazerlemonta (03-22-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:44 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice runs.
lazerlemonta (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:09 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Just watched the video. I'm sure you know but work on the launch.
I'd didn't see what your 60' was but you are giving up a bunch.
You need to launch higher and slip the clutch slightly more, but work up to it and practice at lower rpm with more psi until you have it down .

What tires are you running and what psi?

A few tips:
-You want to accelerate into the launch with the throttle to some extent depending on tires and clutch. So throttle in slightly before clutch in and to the floor. It's actually easier to do with less hp.
-You may want to have the clutch pedal off the floor right below the engagement of the clutch prior to launch which will help your situation.
- do a quick burnout in an effort to keep the clutch as cool as possible.
- launch slightly higher and work your way up
- slip the clutch ever do slightly more

Smoother is faster so it will take a little bit of finesse.

All of these things listed will work in your favor based on what I saw in that one video.
But you should work up to it and not change everything all at once. Document everything and write it on your timeslip.

When you figure it out you should be mid 1.4's.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Originally Posted by robz
Nice runs.
Thanks Rob! I appreciate the post. As far as the clutch its a 5.5" triple disc tilton so there is minimal slippage there. I have made so many passes in cars with limited traction this is a new realm to me and Sunday was a big learning curve. I am installing the hooker tri y headers, flex fuel and picked up some GTO spares with MH racemasters. I think with these changes and a solid 1.4 I should be knocking on a 10.5@130. Dyno time is scheduled for the 31st. I will be tuning mine and HioSSilvers car getting ready for the SRK 4/20 rental in Indy. Im running a 26x9.5x16 QTP Hoosier. I ran 1 11.0 at 15 pounds and the other at 18 pounds. Having the radial on the front and bias on the back was sketchy at 15 so we aired them up just for comfort. This was my first time ever in the low 11s and 1.6 60's. Thanks again for the tips

Last edited by lazerlemonta; 03-23-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Thanks Rob! I appreciate the post. As far as the clutch its a 5.5" triple disc tilton so there is minimal slippage there. I have made so many passes in cars with limited traction this is a new realm to me and Sunday was a big learning curve. I am installing the hooker tri y headers, flex fuel and picked up some GTO spares with MH racemasters. I think with these changes and a solid 1.4 I should be knocking on a 10.5@130. Dyno time is scheduled for the 31st. I will be tuning mine and HioSSilvers car getting ready for the SRK 4/20 rental in Indy. Im running a 26x9.5x16 QTP Hoosier. I ran 1 11.0 at 15 pounds and the other at 18 pounds. Having the radial on the front and bias on the back was sketchy at 15 so we aired them up just for comfort. This was my first time ever in the low 11s and 1.6 60's. Thanks again for the tips
Kewl.

You can still ride that thing out a little, it will help as will all those points above. You want the clutch as cold as possible so keep the burnouts short. You should also pump the clutch 10 times between the burnout and tree before you stage. And make sure that fluid is crystal clear before every pass. Have a high boiling point fluid with you.

If you are running a bias tire, you can really get aggressive on the throttle at launch like I mentioned above.

I can tell you, years back with ~400 hp and 390 gears I used to hold the rpms @ ~ 5000K and power launch it, meaning gas first then clutch so the rpms were climbing and likely @ around 6300 when launching. This was with MT et streets 16x11.5x26 and around 11 psi cold.

With a real on/off clutch you want to keep the starting rpms high, if not higher, and just be a little less aggressive on the throttle stab.

I have had success doing this with many different vettes with all different clutches but had to modify according as mentioned above.

You'll get it.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:41 PM
HioSSilver
Heel & Toe

Hey Rob...Glad to see your around handing out fine advice.

I think we're gonna put headers on this car on Saturday. ....although i hate to see it. It's so stealthy as it is.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:44 PM
Rod Johnson
5th Gear

The grandmaster himself!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:20 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Hey Rob...Glad to see your around handing out fine advice.

I think we're gonna put headers on this car on Saturday. ....although i hate to see it. It's so stealthy as it is.
Good to hear from you and good to know he has a solid team that knows their sh*t.
Yeah I didn't put 2 and two all together at first. Been out of the scene.
I think you guys proved 10's could be had with the stock exhaust, so on to the next goal makes sense.
I'll keep and eye out for your progress.
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:42 AM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

First drive after the Hooker Tri y header install. Listen to that music

Get notified of new replies

To 10s NA Bolt Ons and Stock Exhaust.... Can it be done

Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 AM
HioSSilver
Heel & Toe

It's sounding great!

Thanks Rob....hopefully we can get him into the mid 10s with some practice, dyno tune and some e85. Car feels very stout. He's done a great job tuning it with some very solid help from Jaik (Darthv8der) on tech. Who had a 540whp sbe ls1. All our buds have a hand in it somewhere along the line. Every body gets to learn and evolve.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:26 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It's sounding great!

Thanks Rob....hopefully we can get him into the mid 10s with some practice, dyno tune and some e85. Car feels very stout. He's done a great job tuning it with some very solid help from Jaik (Darthv8der) on tech. Who had a 540whp sbe ls1. All our buds have a hand in it somewhere along the line. Every body gets to learn and evolve.
That's what it's all about brutha. Nothing better than everyone working together.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:19 PM
lazerlemonta
Instructor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10s NA Bolt Ons and Stock Exhaust.... Can it be done