C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0 to 60?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:03 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
Okay, I googled it and found it was 3.9 with a quarter mile time of 13.8. 5.8 sounds about right. The car was a "ringer", being tuned and prepped by Royal Pontiac. The year before, Pontiac gave Car and Driver a '64 GTO, which turned 12.8 and 4.6. This car was a ringer also; instead of a 389, it had 421 stuffed with SD internals, and tuned by Royal to Bobcat specs.
Milt Schornack was the tuner for Ace Wilson's and did side work in his garage. He did my '59 ragtop in '64 and later my '65 GTO. I picked up a few tricks from him. A few months later Jim Wangers & crew came to Glass City Dragway in Toledo, where my cousin was the manager. Royal worked some deal to do testing for a while after the normal races had finished. Milt asked if I'd stick around to line up with Jim and of course I took the opportunity to test stuff myself. I was running about 13.6 -13.7 at the time and they were in the lower 13's. By the time I finished 1st gear I was watching taillights. I started dropping tire pressure and raising the launch RPM. After 5 or 6 passes I pulled Jim through 1st, but he still walked away as my MPH also suffered. Milt came over and asked what I was doing to get that launch. When I told him I was at 6 psi and launching from 5000 RPM he was amazed that the tires were still on the rims. They had never tried anything below 18 psi or a launch over 3500. So they dropped to 10 psi with a 4500 RPM launch and I was watching taillights again. We didn't have 60' times then and were still using a flagman for starting. By the end of the '65 season I had been down to 13.4's.
The following year I built a dedicated track car and parked the GTO. It was the last year the Toledo track was open, I saw Milt at time or two after that at Milan or Nat'l Trails in Columbus, but I switched to AHRA in '68. Jim has come to the Pontiac Heaven events in Phoenix a few times, but I don't remember if he still hit the track. I think it was 2011 the last time I saw Jim. He was in his 80's, so he's probably pushing 90 now.
OK, enough of the old time stuff. Time to deal with the present. Now what was this thread about?
The following users liked this post:
SouthBaySurfer (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:56 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Zzzzzzzzz.........

Quick Reply: 0 to 60?