C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think my car chassis is starting to rust :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Aren't dads, uncles, neighbors, etc. supposed to teach these things?

Just like when old farts complain about millenials or gen Z'ers they forget to ask themselves "Who raised these ninnies? Who's really to blame?"
Yes, but not when the kid just isn't interested, doesn't want to learn or has near 0 mechanical aptitude.

I speak from experience. Whenever I was working on a car, bicycle, hobby, using a screwdriver , wrench, hammer etc. I would have my son watch me, try it, etc up until he was 16 yo then I just said forget it.
He was never interested, never.

So its not always our fault. (sarcastic of course because I know it's coming)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Yes, but not when the kid just isn't interested, doesn't want to learn or has near 0 mechanical aptitude.

I speak from experience. Whenever I was working on a car, bicycle, hobby, using a screwdriver , wrench, hammer etc. I would have my son watch me, try it, etc up until he was 16 yo then I just said forget it.
He was never interested, never.

So its not always our fault. (sarcastic of course because I know it's coming)
I'm blessed in having two daughters and a niece who I have taught how to change a flat tire, change oil, replace spark plugs & wires, replace radiator, etc., etc,. etc. They're all gear heads and have great mechanical aptitude. I told all of them there is no reason why they should have to depend on a man to do what they are perfectly capable of doing for themselves, and should never be at the mercy of dishonest mechanics. They all agree.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Dimewise
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

A few dudes in here reinforcing the corvette douche stereotype lol.

That being said... OP it is 2017, use your phone and take a pic.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch08
I completely agree.

BUT

In a few short years, only a "certified" (by the government) person will be allowed to work on your car. Self driving cars will need no maintenance (except as prescribed by law or the manufacturer) and will automatically return to the dealer for $$ervice as necessary.

You will have to tow (self driving truck) your 'vette to the track because it will be illegal to drive it anywhere except on local (congested) surface streets.

The only issue is "when" not "if" this will happen.
Please clarify what you mean by "a few short years". What you are saying is not new to anyone who knows anything about cars. The timetable is the only question. Since almost all of the necessary, and vast, accommodations needed for that future view will have to be paid for by government funding, I think we are looking at a very distant future, minimum of 50 years, more likely 75.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:46 PM
RIPnVLAD
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Aluminum does corrode.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPnVLAD
Aluminum does corrode.
Sure.

Just ask any Corvette owner who's driven their car year-round, up north, where the roads are covered with salt half of the year.

The salt-corrosion on the calipers, or other under-carriage aluminum parts, is there after a few seasons.

My '07 that I bought in '14 was sold new here in Rochester, in fact, by the same dealer I bought it from. Whoever the previous owner(s) were, they never drove it in the winter(salt)time, as is obvious by looking closely.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPnVLAD
Aluminum does corrode.
Technically I would use the term oxidizes. It's splitting hairs and you may disagree.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
Not if you are like some of the guys around here. Never drive in the rain, and put the car up on your lift for a complete undercarriage cleaning and waxing every time you remove the car from it's clear plastic, air inflated coccoon! ��
I don't do that kinda crap!! I have a sister l make do it.

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 12-10-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: i think my car chassis is starting to rust :(