C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Car Show Classes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Jaspergr
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Corvette Car Show Classes

I'm working with a group to establish "classes" for an all corvette show. I'm sure there are many excellent judging class forms already developed. Would anyone share their's to all me to plagiarize your judging class form? If so, you can attach and send to my e-mail to me, jaspergr6@gmail.com thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I don't happen to have any judging sheets but, depending on the number of cars anticipated, classes are usually:
Concurs in all generations;
Stock in all generations;
Custom in all generations;
C-1;
C-2 coupe & convertible;
C-3 coupe & convertible;
C-4 coupe & convertible;
C-5 coupe & convertible;
C-6 coupe & convertible;
C-7 coupe & convertible.

You can add best in class, best in show, peoples choice, best engine, best wheels, etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:51 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Most shows around here are by generations, especially for an all Corvette show.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I don't happen to have any judging sheets but, depending on the number of cars anticipated, classes are usually:
Concurs in all generations;
Stock in all generations;
Custom in all generations;
C-1;
C-2 coupe & convertible;
C-3 coupe & convertible;
C-4 coupe & convertible;
C-5 coupe & convertible;
C-6 coupe & convertible;
C-7 coupe & convertible.

You can add best in class, best in show, peoples choice, best engine, best wheels, etc, etc, etc.
Or add "Custom" categories depending on the number of mods that the car has.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So, if you bring a C1 to the show to be judged, and you are the only one there with a C1 ... I guess you win the 1st place trophy in your class everytime ... what a deal !

Even if the car is a piece of crap .... you get the win !
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

Having entered probably 20 shows--both all-Corvette and all car--I have experienced
amazing discrepancies in judging. However, the all-Corvette shows are generally better run and classes better organized than in open shows. For an all-Corvette show I have two suggestions:

First, prepare a sheet listing the areas to be judged and the expectations/specific items being looked at. For example: Interior--cleanliness/condition of carpets and upholstery; glove box and console storage area should be empty and clean; etc., etc. (Don't know about any of you people who show your cars, but I have had judges open my glove box and check it.)

Second: Be clear about what you consider modifications, and HOW MANY and examples of what are allowed on a car for it still to be considered "stock." For example, I have a C6 but I changed to C7 wheels. In the all-Corvette shows I've entered, that's not been a problem. I also have an OEM full-width spoiler that was added by me as an over-the-counter accessory, so that's "stock," but I painted my door handles body color, so that's a modification (although I've never been called out on it.) Things like clear film and mud guards don't count as anything, because they're considered "safety" items.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:06 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Or add "Custom" categories depending on the number of mods that the car has.
Is there an echo in here???
Old 12-07-2017, 05:07 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
So, if you bring a C1 to the show to be judged, and you are the only one there with a C1 ... I guess you win the 1st place trophy in your class everytime ... what a deal !
Even if the car is a piece of crap .... you get the win !
And it would be better to judge the car alongside a 1500 mile 2017 vette?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ruxvette

And it would be better to judge the car alongside a 1500 mile 2017 vette?
No it would not .... But if your the only car in your class, your not judged against anything.

You win, even if your car just came out of the crusher!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

OK, as the show chairman for the past 4 years at an all Corvette show, which typically involves all generations, we use the following criteria.

C1 - C7 - Stock / Modified / Custom - modified is up to 3 mods and Custom is 3 or more

If we only get a few cars in any generation compared to another we also modify the number of awards for those classes based on entries.

Give "1st Place" and then a number of "Outstanding" depending upon the number of entries.

We also have some "sponsor awards" where the sponsor would walk the grounds and pick the vehicle of their choice for their award......... ANY car in the show is eligible.................not judged their personal choice

also on occasion we have a special award as a memorial to a club member who may have passed in the year since the prior show........ their family attends and again picks ANY vehicle for that award, not judged just their personal choice

we judge in (3) areas............ exterior / interior / underhood
based upon a point deduction system where MAXIMUM allowed for exterior is 50 points with interior and underhood 25 points each.....

think of it as a beauty contest............. dirty, scratched, not maintained, etc. will cost you points........................ and we deduct in (1) point increments with the judges using their discretion.........

we use the same teams of judges for a couple classes, as it is difficult to get others to volunteer and it helps with consistency of judging......

at the Concours show which was held here in the Motor City, only one set of three judges were involved in judging the Concours selected vehicles, again to keep them consistent........... I was part of that team, and Concours judging is a lot more critical than any other show as the vehicles should be in "as new" condition no matter the generation.......................... that show also included a mechanical / functional check of lights, accessories, radios, antennas, etc.

Last edited by rkj427; 12-07-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Since your starting out, KISS. One winner per generation and one people’s choice award. Once your annual event has begun to show success you can begin to add to the event. ....KISS
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Go to the NCCC web site. They will have info on their classes. Link below.

http://corvettesnccc.org/Handbook/NC...2017-2018.html

Last edited by got2hav1; 12-07-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rkj427
we judge in (3) areas............ exterior / interior / underhood
think of it as a beauty contest............. dirty, scratched, not maintained, etc. will cost you points........................
we use the same teams of judges
Concours...one set of three judges were involved in judging the Concours selected vehicles, again to keep them consistent.....
Absolutely correct. And, it is very important to have a team of judges so each car in a class is judged by more than one judge and the scores are averaged.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

You might consider separating "wide Body" from base models
Example:
C6:
Coupe
Convertible
Wide bodies (GS, ZO6, ZR1)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Our club (East TN Corvette Club) has held an annual Corvette show now for 50 years.....it is more a "fun" judging event than an NCRS or NCCC type event. We had 120 cars this year. We will break the classes by era (ie: C1, C2, etc); however, you are going to get a HUGE number of C7 and C6 cars.....and to judge fairly, all the entrants in each "award catagory" should have the exact same judging team to allow for equity. That is hard when you have 30 cars in one class (NO ONE wants to judge 30 cars on a warm sunny day!). So, we will break the later C classes into sub groups (ie: C7a, C7b) grouping by model years until we get a reasonable number of cars to judge (usually not more than 8 or so). This means you need to have a few more award breakouts, but that means a lot more folks will also be able to win "best in class," meaning more happy people and a greater chance they will return in future years. One other suggestion.....we have a "Best in Class" award, but we DONT have 2nd or 3rd place in class. Instead, we call those "Award of Excellence." (We give thee plaques for each group, Best In Class and two Awards of Excellence). Think about it....would you rather have a plaque for your wall that says "Third Place" or one that says "Award of Excellence". Again, more happy people. We also do best of show and a "dealer's choice" award (we hold our show at our sponsoring Chevy dealer). Oh....we also KISS with no custom class or concours class....they are all grouped and we dont add or subtract points for originality or custom changes. We look at condition and cleanliness only, on the exterior, interior, glass and tires/wheels and visible wheel wells. No taking a knee. No engine and no chassis judging. All tops up/on and windows up. More info than you asked for, but just sharing......good luck. A few photos from our show below. (PS...East Tennessee Corvette Club is the largest of all NCCC clubs with about 450 members).

The following users liked this post:
got2hav1 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Shows are okay as long as the judges know what they're doing. Generation classes are good, but not if you have stock up against heavily modded and blinged out. We got put into a modded class once (non Corvette) and not in a Corvette class because our Z06 "had a trunk and Corvettes don't have trunks". Seriously. And don't do participant judging. That's just a popularity contest. Also, you need to decide whether or not club members are allowed to be participants for trophies. If they are, then you should get independent judges, not club members.
I have a garage full of trophies, but don't do shows any more unless it's just a Vette show and there's a fun class.
Best of luck with your show. I hope it's successful for your club.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There is a lot of good advice here. The only thing I will add is if you are trying to establish an annual show to benefit a charity or something like that, give away a lot of trophies. For example I go to a show that always awards trophies to the "top 125" and they regularly get over 400 cars. They also have awards for all the usual, best Chevy, Ford, etc. It's not so much about the trophies but everyone likes to be recognized in front of the crowd for their car and the work they put into it.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:29 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Where will your show be? There's only one Corvette show a year near where I live and it's in a dog arena. My wife is allergic to dogs and can't handle the "pee" smell, so we don't attend any more. If your show is near where I live, I might be interested, especially if it's for a charity.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Car Show Classes

Quick Reply: Corvette Car Show Classes