C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace your C6 low beam headlight ballast

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:51 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by madsonp
Yep, that's what I said.
yes, and I said that up in post #10! LOL!

Last edited by RPOZ4Z; 12-18-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here's a photo showing the square ballast mounted to the underside of a headlight housing.

These are a little clearer. This is an '06.

The following users liked this post:
madsonp (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
These are a little clearer. This is an '06.

Yes, much nicer pictures, thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:58 AM
I CORNER
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a photo showing the square ballast mounted to the underside of a headlight housing.

Your post and great pics have motivated me to finally tackle a true upgrade to my 2008 Z06 lighting!

First, after falling for the HID upgrade package from Corvette Mods, I discovered that their 55W HID fogs increased light output (but unreliable), the 6000k low beam bulbs had significantly less light than factory and the high beam HIDs were useless, as they took almost 10 seconds to warm up to the halogen bulbs output (just in time to shut off for oncoming traffic, & useless for flash to pass). In addition, their fog HID bulbs failed twice in 6 months. All trash.

Then I had great luck with SNGL LEDs from Amazon 3 years ago that put out a true 8200 lumens per pair for Fogs and hi-beams. The fogs are brighter than my Sylvania Silverstar D1S HID low beams, which are slightly better than GM. I upgraded the hi-beams to their 10,400 lumens LEDs 18 months ago and am planning to go with their new 12,400 lumens set for fogs & hi-beams.

2 years ago I ordered the SNGL 8200 lumen LEDs for the low beam HIDs, but got angry that the HID version was not plug-n-play like the others! I returned, as I did not want to hack factory wiring. However, a Z06 with carbon fiber ZR1 splitter needs the best lighting that can be had. Low & fast cars get less light reflected back from road and need more light.

Thank you for your post, as I can see now that I can access ballast and remove it and replace it with LEDs controller (smaller) and bring wires right through the bottom of the headlight enclosure to use the superior LEDs in the high beam HID location. I've used these SNGL bulbs for several years now and they are VERY bright and reliable! With bad retired drivers in South Florida, I use my lights for night and day driving. I actually gave myself a minor welders burn by looking at an illuminated LED bulb. I converted my Silverado low and high beams to the SNGL 10,200 lumen per pair bulbs and they are brighter than ANY high end new car LED lights.

Last edited by I CORNER; 01-14-2018 at 03:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-15-2018, 07:58 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I CORNER
Your post and great pics have motivated me to finally tackle a true upgrade to my 2008 Z06 lighting!

First, after falling for the HID upgrade package from Corvette Mods, I discovered that their 55W HID fogs increased light output (but unreliable), the 6000k low beam bulbs had significantly less light than factory and the high beam HIDs were useless, as they took almost 10 seconds to warm up to the halogen bulbs output (just in time to shut off for oncoming traffic, & useless for flash to pass). In addition, their fog HID bulbs failed twice in 6 months. All trash.

Then I had great luck with SNGL LEDs from Amazon 3 years ago that put out a true 8200 lumens per pair for Fogs and hi-beams. The fogs are brighter than my Sylvania Silverstar D1S HID low beams, which are slightly better than GM. I upgraded the hi-beams to their 10,400 lumens LEDs 18 months ago and am planning to go with their new 12,400 lumens set for fogs & hi-beams.

2 years ago I ordered the SNGL 8200 lumen LEDs for the low beam HIDs, but got angry that the HID version was not plug-n-play like the others! I returned, as I did not want to hack factory wiring. However, a Z06 with carbon fiber ZR1 splitter needs the best lighting that can be had. Low & fast cars get less light reflected back from road and need more light.

Thank you for your post, as I can see now that I can access ballast and remove it and replace it with LEDs controller (smaller) and bring wires right through the bottom of the headlight enclosure to use the superior LEDs in the high beam HID location. I've used these SNGL bulbs for several years now and they are VERY bright and reliable! With bad retired drivers in South Florida, I use my lights for night and day driving. I actually gave myself a minor welders burn by looking at an illuminated LED bulb. I converted my Silverado low and high beams to the SNGL 10,200 lumen per pair bulbs and they are brighter than ANY high end new car LED lights.

Thanks, I'm happy for your new found motivation. In my case for the fog lights I went with a set of these.
https://www.vette-lights.com/product...ghter-than-hid They're a big improvement over the stock bulbs. I also fell for the HID's for the high beams and I like you aren't happy with how long it takes them to get up to full brightness, these are the HID's I installed https://www.vette-lights.com/product...ghtplug-n-play but like I say take to long to get up to brightness. Once you get those high beam LED's installed, let me know what you think of them and how they compare in brightness to the HID's.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:16 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Great Post! The manual says to remove the headlight assembly but I thought there was an easier way. Has anyone used the aftermarket ballast?
I have the HID Highs and Fogs and am happy with both. The couple of seconds it takes for the highs to warm up doesn't bother me at all. But when the warm up they are unbelievable.

Last edited by ls1121; 10-20-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:36 PM
madsonp
Safety Car

I've since installed the Morimoto LED head lights and fog lights on mine, no more waiting for the HID's to come to full brightness, I like the Morimotos much better than the stock lights.
Old 07-26-2023, 01:17 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 12-13-2023, 01:59 PM
lght spd
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Also.

Very Interested. Great Write Up.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:58 PM
madsonp