C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Rear View Mirror Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Help With Rear View Mirror Plug

I'm trying to do a mirrortap on my '08 and I can't get the plug out on the back of the mirror. I've pulled and tugged and yanked and pulled until I'm blue in the face. I'm pushing down on what feels like a clip but nothing works. Really need help. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

There is a retaining clip on the top of the plug, just make sure you are depressing it completely. If it has never been removed then it might take a little wiggling, but it will come out.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
There is a retaining clip on the top of the plug, just make sure you are depressing it completely. If it has never been removed then it might take a little wiggling, but it will come out.
The most painful part is depressing the clip. It will come out but you may say every word in the book until it does!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
I'm trying to do a mirrortap on my '08 and I can't get the plug out on the back of the mirror. I've pulled and tugged and yanked and pulled until I'm blue in the face. I'm pushing down on what feels like a clip but nothing works. Really need help. Thanks.
OK, don't pull the plug out of the back of the mirror you could pull the stem off the glass. (I'll explain this comment.)

First the attachment to the glass looks like this:

It is a triangle with the points cut off. So if you grab the mirror and the stem and twist counter clockwise (don't pull) (other way should work too) the mirror will come off easily.

The bottom of the stem looks like this: (If you trying to pull it off before a full twist .... you get the idea.) Also if those pins get bent you'll have to fix them.

So when you twist the stem, you are trying to lineup the little rods in the stem base with the "flats" on the glass attachment.

The ball end of stem (the end that goes into the mirror) looks like this:

The ball end goes into the mirror and is held by plastic prongs and circular spring. I was afraid to ruin mirror base and the prongs so rather than try to pull the stem out of the mirror I removed the spring first. Pics:

Here's the spring in the mirror (It sits tightly around the prongs that grip the ball:

I found that trying to tighten the spring clip does nothing, but a sanding of the stem ball end will increase grip of the mirror significantly. (Yeah, I can hit a bump now.)

Hope this helps ...
The following users liked this post:
seijack (12-14-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

In my research I read a thread here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ew-mirror.html

It says NEVER, EVER, remove the mirror. It creates a complete disaster.

So between what you're saying and this thread I'm afraid to touch anything. I'm screwed!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

In my research I read a thread here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ew-mirror.html

So between what you're saying and this thread I'm afraid to touch anything. I'm screwed!
Don't give up on the plug. Keep working with it and you will get it. I worked at getting mine off my 2010 base so I could do a mirrortap for my V1. It is worth the effort.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

No, what I'm saying is remove the mirror stem from the glass, then if you need to remove the mirror from the stem you can do this easily.

If you can't understand what you need to do, I either did not explain it well, or you ( I don't mean to be condescending here ) don't understand how the mirror is attached and should probably leave this to a professional.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dutch08
No, what I'm saying is remove the mirror stem from the glass, then if you need to remove the mirror from the stem you can do this easily.

If you can't understand what you need to do, I either did not explain it well, or you ( I don't mean to be condescending here ) don't understand how the mirror is attached and should probably leave this to a professional.
Ok.Got it. Understood. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Warming the connector with hair dryer may help ease the process.

Mine took quite a bit of wiggling up/down and side to side to get it out.

Worth the effort IMO.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:31 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I didn't even have remove the clip to plug the mirror tap wires in, they just fit perfectly.

BUT if I were to remove the clip, I would first take a picture of the back of the mirror with my phone to better understand what I'm working with, then carefully use a flat head screwdriver to push/pry the clip open before removing it.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_W
I didn't even have remove the clip to plug the mirror tap wires in, they just fit perfectly.

BUT if I were to remove the clip, I would first take a picture of the back of the mirror with my phone to better understand what I'm working with, then carefully use a flat head screwdriver to push/pry the clip open before removing it.

Good luck!
If you don't remove the clip how on earth do you see what you're doing?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

I responded previous post but I don't think I understood what you were trying to do.

First:
I would remove your mirror as it makes it easy to see the electrical connections. (The mirror is extremely easy to remove and reinstall, but unfortunately like most things AFTER you've done it once.) Do you need to remove the mirror ... NO... just makes life easier.

Second:

See my original pic:

There are two electrical connections at the mirror. The one in the mirror stem that you release from both sides to release (yes, I broke mine but it's an easy fix) and the one in the back of the mirror (see the connection in the mirror housing in the pic) that is a single tab you have to depress.

Don't use heat, don't wiggle, don't pull until something gives or you'll have to fix it. I have never installed a "mirrortap" just had to fix the crap left behind by someone else.

You can access the all connections you need at the mirror, across the header panel cover or down the right A pillar (at least in the '05). You might want to consult a wiring diagram.

I hope this helps, YMMV.

Last edited by Dutch08; 12-10-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dutch08
. ........................................ I have never installed a "mirrortap"............................. ..
That's unfortunate. This approach is the easiest way to connect a radar detector I've ever used.

There is way more peril in removing the mirror than unplugging the connector.

Tapping into the switched power is a snap, and after all it is just a connector that obviously was meant to be unplugged.

The following users liked this post:
Matthewstorm (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:52 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

It is easy to find the wires based on pictures and such. From there, it is a simple matter of sliding a contact for the correct wire from the MirrorTap into the plug next to the wire.

And for the love of GOD, do NOT remove the mirror...

Last edited by R_W; 12-12-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R_W
It is easy to find the wires based on pictures and such. From there, it is a simple matter of sliding a contact the contact for the correct wire from the MirrorTap into the plug next to the wire.

And for the love of GOD, do NOT remove the mirror...

There are many horror stories of loose/shaking mirrors and/or bent mirror pins.

The pic posted clearly shows the tab that needs to be depressed before sliding the connector out.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

There are many horror stories of loose/shaking mirrors and/or bent mirror pins.

The pic posted clearly shows the tab that needs to be depressed before sliding the connector out.
First, is there a single tab (two tabs on the other connector that is in the mirror stem) is all that is needed to be depressed to remove it. This is by far the easiest method. You are correct and I thank you for your post in particular the wiring pic that improves the collective knowledge of the forum.

BUT Second, the point that I was trying to make that if you remove the mirror your can see what you need to do without working blind. It is easy to remove the mirror without bending the pins IF YOU UNDERSTAND HOW THE MIRROR is attached. It is a bit disingenuous to say "horror stories", because it results in posters like the OP to just throw up their hands and say, "I'm screwed." I for one could not release these connections until I could see them, that is why suggested removing the mirror.

Notice the attachment is a triangle with the ends removed. If you twist the mirror stem so the rods (pins as you say) line up the the flats of the triangle ends the mirror will come off. If you line the rods up with the flats and twist in the opposite direction the mirror will attach firmly.

Bent rods and mirror attachment problems are caused by people who to not take the time to understand how the mirror is attached.

Personally, I don't like working blind because I tend to break things when working lile this. It usually easier for me to take apart (correctly) everything so I can see what I'm doing. This results is a more successful project and professional (which I am not ) looking project.

My 2 cents trying to add to the knowledge of this forum, no disrespect intended by any means.

Last edited by Dutch08; 12-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Finally got the mirror tap installed. The hardest step by far was removing the mirror plug. But it finally came free. Put them tap wires in and viola! The mirror tap is great! Thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Finally got the mirror tap installed. The hardest step by far was removing the mirror plug. But it finally came free. Put them tap wires in and viola! The mirror tap is great! Thanks for all the advice.
Excellent!! Please post back to forum how you did it with pics if possible. There are a lot of DIY people, such as yourself (me too), that would appreciate it.

Good job

Get notified of new replies

To Help With Rear View Mirror Plug

Quick Reply: Help With Rear View Mirror Plug