C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper paint color opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know how well caliper paint will hold up to heavy scrubbing or strong chemicals that are needed to keep the brake dust from accumulating on the surface of the paint. May just require frequent cleaning with easier methods that will not damage the caliper paint.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 PM
GHOLD
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJoy
I've been thinking about this for some time. I like the idea of a bright glossy color but I don't like having to wash the pad dust off so often in order to keep them looking good all the time. Mine are still the natural metal finish and tho they look a little dingy I think they'd look worse if I painted them a conspicuous color and noticed all the dust every time I go to get in the car. Also, I suppose some people buy rebuilt calipers and pay a core charge that is credited back for the rebuildable ones that come off the car. I don't know if old calipers are an acceptable core if they've been painted. But, I guess one could just keep their old calipers and buy the parts needed to rebuild them so that wouldn't be an issue. After all, calipers are pretty simple to rebuild.
A couple comments: many new vettes are sold with glossy calipers so they would have the same issue. You might want to consider ceramic brake pads that create much less brake dust. I’m not sure about epoxy paint, but if I ever decided to send my painted calipers in for rebuild, etc., I don’t suspect it would be too difficult to strip them. Could be wrong there, but don’t have any plans to do so.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:31 PM
GHOLD
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leolo2
Painted mine AO last year.
Rotors look good too!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Gotta-Qik-C7
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I used a G2 kit! No problem with scrubbing or fading!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

Caliper paint will hold up to whatever chemicals you are using for brake dust. Probably better than the finish to your wheels.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:28 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Change brake pads?

Originally Posted by GHOLD

A couple comments: many new vettes are sold with glossy calipers so they would have the same issue. You might want to consider ceramic brake pads that create much less brake dust. I’m not sure about epoxy paint, but if I ever decided to send my painted calipers in for rebuild, etc., I don’t suspect it would be too difficult to strip them. Could be wrong there, but don’t have any plans to do so.
Yeah. I've got to do a brake job probably this fall. I'm going to go ahead and paint my calipers and the bare metal on the rotors in the next couple weeks. I've chosen a black in a spray can.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Racer1735
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm doing my brakes, as well. I have the Dupli-Color caliper paint and plan to paint the calipers and brackets BEFORE I change pads and rotors. I have a Victory Red C6 and am planning on red calipers. Thought about yellow, but in my mind yellow on red is Ferrari.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
dsmith1523
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy ya'll, I have a Monterey Red 2006, all stock. Was considering the G2 red caliper paint but not sure of clashing with the different tints of red. Anyone with any high res pics of this combo? Any suggestions/input on the color combo?

Cheers
-Dustin
Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Satin or gloss black, or body-color...no other choices in my mind...I would probably go for body color with black letters.

Quick Reply: Caliper paint color opinions