C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New sealant for new headlight lens

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts
Default New sealant for new headlight lens

I'm halfway through the install process for new headlight lenses and I would like an opinion from the Corvette community.

If you can backup your opinion with some expertise please state, but I welcome any and all opinions.

I ordered from Umnitza and they send a rubber butyl sealant (which I ordered) to seall the base to the clear lens.

My question is what is the OE sealant? The reason I am asking is because the old (a gray very firm unless hot) sealant was so easy to remove cleanly.

My current plan is to keep the car a DD for at least 20 more years. I would like the glue removal to be this easy again. (on my 12yr old '05)

Opinions >>

Last edited by Dutch08; 12-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Based on my experience, I used PL Construction adhesive to install my new lenses. The OEM adhesive was difficult to remove, but it came out as one piece.

When I installed my lenses, after the Construction adhesive had cured, I ran a bead of clear silicone caulking around the perimeter between the new lens and the black headlight assembly, just be be sure that no water could ever get into the light.

A short time after I had installed my new lenses, I needed to remove one lens to repaint my bezel. For some reason, the paint had cracks in it that I had not noticed prior to installing my new lenses.

Once I removed the clear silicone, I used a heat gun and the new lens was easily removed and no adhesive remained in the channel. I did cut off the bottom part of the adhesive that stayed on the lens, just so I could add new adhesive into the channel when I re-installed the lens.

Once I did that, I again added clear silicone caulking around the perimeter as an added insurance against moisture ingress.
That is about 3 years now, and I've never had any issues with any moisture ingress etc.

As a note, RL Sebring uses PL construction adhesive when he installs new lenses.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
Dutch08 (12-12-2017), RLSebring (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Based on my experience, I used PL Construction adhesive to install my new lenses. The OEM adhesive was difficult to remove, but it came out as one piece.

When I installed my lenses, after the Construction adhesive had cured, I ran a bead of clear silicone caulking around the perimeter between the new lens and the black headlight assembly, just be be sure that no water could ever get into the light.

A shoert yime after I had installed my new lenses, I needed to remove one lens to repaint my bezel. For some reason, the paint had cracks in it that I had not noticed prior to installing my new lenses.

Once I removed the clear silicone, I used a heat gun and the new lens was easily removed and no adhesive remined in the channel. I did cut off the bottom part of the adhesive that stayed on the lens, just so I could add new adhesive into the channel when I re-installed the lens.

Once I did that, I again added clear silicone caulking around the perimeter as an added insurance against moisture ingress.
That is about 3 years now, and I've never had any issues with any moisture ingress etc.

As a note, RL Sevring uses PL construction adhesive when he installs new lenses.
Thank you sir, that is exactly the type of opinion I was looking for.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I did my light buckets earlier this year & sealed them using this, available at Home Depot.
Very easy to work with

The following users liked this post:
Dutch08 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

It must depend on how old it is. My 08 was a bear to remove. I wouldn't ever think I'd want to do it again.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by pjazz
It must depend on how old it is. My 08 was a bear to remove. I wouldn't ever think I'd want to do it again.
Thank you for your reply.

The "grey stuff" that I had seems to be the one that is easiest to remove based on forum reports.

I you don't mind me asking, could you describe your sealant. (ie. color hardness when cold etc.) Some forum posts suggest that there are two types that were used by the Bowling Green the other was black ?????

My car is an early 05 so I'm thinking that the gray stuff that I would like to use again was used in the 05,06 ????
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Dutch08

The "grey stuff" that I had seems to be the one that is easiest to remove based on forum reports.

I you don't mind me asking, could you describe your sealant. (ie. color hardness when cold etc.) Some forum posts suggest that there are two types that were used by the Bowling Green the other was black ?????

My car is an early 05 so I'm thinking that the gray stuff that I would like to use again was used in the 05,06 ????
3 different factory adhesives. Light grey, darker grey and black. all 3 can be easy or unbelievably difficult.

I've been recommending and personally using Loc-Tite PL Polyurethane adhesive for 10 years no and never had any one report a problem. I got 9 years out of my lens and PL without issue and when the lens are removed all the PL remains on the lens leaving the channel clean and ready.

The big bonus with the PL is that there is no out-gas.
Dutch08 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Mine was black and I had to periodically apply heat to remove it. I used the rolled up sealant as the replacement.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

POOP....I was hoping this thread was looking for a sealant to put on the actual lens after polishing it out. Don't intend to hi-jack this thread, but any opinions on a good sealant for the actual lens to protect from UV would be appreciated. Lots of products out there but haven't found one yet that actually works !!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by windyC6
POOP....I was hoping this thread was looking for a sealant to put on the actual lens after polishing it out. Don't intend to hi-jack this thread, but any opinions on a good sealant for the actual lens to protect from UV would be appreciated. Lots of products out there but haven't found one yet that actually works !!!!
No problem!!! After all, once RLSebring commented the thread was done. This is "THE" expert on this topic in my opinion.

Your question ..... Have you tried USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol or Duplicolor Clearcoat? I'm going to try a paint protection film but it'll be a couple of years before I know the outcome.

( I think you should also start your own thread because I have not found any information on this and I'm interested what other people are doing on this question. The title of this thread will not get you the information you (and now me) are looking for.)

Last edited by Dutch08; 12-13-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

No problem!!! After all, once RLSebring commented the thread was done. This is "THE" expert on this topic in my opinion.

Your question ..... Have you tried USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol or Duplicolor Clearcoat? I'm going to try a paint protection film but it'll be a couple of years before I know the outcome.

( I think you should also start your own thread because I have not found any information on this and I'm interested what other people are doing on this question. The title of this thread will not get you the information you (and now me) are looking for.)
Good idea....I think i'll do that if you haven't already....so check for it down the line.....
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have used this stuff a bunch when I did retrofits for Hondas. Very easy to use and heats up great.
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Originally Posted by Caveman74
I have used this stuff a bunch when I did retrofits for Hondas. Very easy to use and heats up great.
https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-D...s=rubber+butyl
THANK YOU! .....

..... and the "Sponsored products related to this item" link is a gold mine of sealants other types of sealants like this.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR

A short time after I had installed my new lenses, I needed to remove one lens to repaint my bezel. For some reason, the paint had cracks in it that I had not noticed prior to installing my new lenses.

Once I removed the clear silicone, I used a heat gun and the new lens was easily removed and no adhesive remained in the channel. I did cut off the bottom part of the adhesive that stayed on the lens, just so I could add new adhesive into the channel when I re-installed the lens.

As a note, RL Sebring uses PL construction adhesive when he installs new lenses.
This is a very bad idea. PL construction adhesive dries hard and brittle. It's semi-permanent which leads to other issues later down the road should you have the need to re-open the lenses for any reason (bug gets into the lenses, debris, dust, etc.).

Additionally, silicon (GE II is the best we've found) is a stop gap solution that is not as effective as the butyl based sealant.

The amazon link is a good alternative, it's half of what we provide for $20.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by info@umnitza.com
This is a very bad idea. PL construction adhesive dries hard and brittle. It's semi-permanent which leads to other issues later down the road should you have the need to re-open the lenses for any reason (bug gets into the lenses, debris, dust, etc.).

Additionally, silicon (GE II is the best we've found) is a stop gap solution that is not as effective as the butyl based sealant.

The amazon link is a good alternative, it's half of what we provide for $20.
It's a super bad idea to use construction adhesive. You will never be able to open the lights again. I will tell you do not use straight Silicone as an alternative. You will possibly cloud your headlight with the fumes it puts out while drying. You can use it on the outside.. But never in the channel.

Window Weld is the best way to replace the OEM Sealant. It heats and seals great. It's what I have always used.
info@umnitza.com (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 01:45 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman74
It's a super bad idea to use construction adhesive. You will never be able to open the lights again. I will tell you do not use straight Silicone as an alternative. You will possibly cloud your headlight with the fumes it puts out while drying. You can use it on the outside.. But never in the channel.

Window Weld is the best way to replace the OEM Sealant. It heats and seals great. It's what I have always used.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
3 different factory adhesives. Light grey, darker grey and black. all 3 can be easy or unbelievably difficult.

I've been recommending and personally using Loc-Tite PL Polyurethane adhesive for 10 years no and never had any one report a problem. I got 9 years out of my lens and PL without issue and when the lens are removed all the PL remains on the lens leaving the channel clean and ready.

The big bonus with the PL is that there is no out-gas.
I removed 1 lens after I had used PL adhesive, and the lens came off super easy.
I guess use whatever you want. I just relayed my positive experience with PL
Dutch08 (12-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New sealant for new headlight lens

Quick Reply: New sealant for new headlight lens