C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have your own tire machine/balancer?

Old 12-16-2017, 01:00 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Do you have your own tire machine/balancer?

After sending my new 19/20 inch (approx. C7 Z06 sizes) performance snow tires to a shop directly from tire rack, bringing my rims, going through 2 weeks of crap because they don't know or care how to mount TPMS sensors and find, learn about, order and install the brackets necessary as well as how to plug the inner holes (an extra valve stem hole on the inside of the rim which, if used for the TPMS or a traditional size valve stem will not clear the tie rod at full lock)
Hearing the shop cry about the width and profile of the rims...this, from 2 separate shops (the first shop tells me they don't want to work with rims/tires of this size) The local "major brand" shops such as firestone/goodyear would not do them either.

Driving around a few times, wasting hours bringing people parts, getting my rims scratched up and then having the balance weights fall off, returning for re-balance...
I have come to the revelation that If I had my own tire machine and balancer I could take those hours wasted and just to it myself.

Maybe I wont get the highest tech or top of the line machines but I'm sure that once I learn how to use them I will balance better than any shop hack who truly doesn't care if my wheels are perfectly balanced or not.

With 4 vehicles and a trailer, I'm wondering has anyone else gotten fed up with tire shops and decided to do this themselves?

I see tire changers that look like a simple post for a couple hundred dollars to a couple grand and then much more.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by speedz06
After sending my new 19/20 inch (approx. C7 Z06 sizes) performance snow tires to a shop directly from tire rack, bringing my rims, going through 2 weeks of crap because they don't know or care how to mount TPMS sensors and find, learn about, order and install the brackets necessary as well as how to plug the inner holes (an extra valve stem hole on the inside of the rim which, if used for the TPMS or a traditional size valve stem will not clear the tie rod at full lock)
Hearing the shop cry about the width and profile of the rims...this, from 2 separate shops (the first shop tells me they don't want to work with rims/tires of this size) The local "major brand" shops such as firestone/goodyear would not do them either.

Driving around a few times, wasting hours bringing people parts, getting my rims scratched up and then having the balance weights fall off, returning for re-balance...
I have come to the revelation that If I had my own tire machine and balancer I could take those hours wasted and just to it myself.

Maybe I wont get the highest tech or top of the line machines but I'm sure that once I learn how to use them I will balance better than any shop hack who truly doesn't care if my wheels are perfectly balanced or not.

With 4 vehicles and a trailer, I'm wondering has anyone else gotten fed up with tire shops and decided to do this themselves?

I see tire changers that look like a simple post for a couple hundred dollars to a couple grand and then much more.
Not worth the expense to me. I found a good tire shop that I watch do the work. Even have one mechanic that only works my car.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:28 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by speedz06

what 'inner hole"... I thought the C7 TPMS sensors were just like the C6 sensors.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:56 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
what 'inner hole"... I thought the C7 TPMS sensors were just like the C6 sensors.
I meant the size of the tire...I'm figuring for the couple grand and entry level machines I could own my own tools.
Just checking to see if anyone thought along the same lines and bought their own tools
Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I’ve been tempted to get a tire machine and balancer but cost of a decent machine has ruled it out
Old 12-16-2017, 07:16 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

I share your frustration with most tire shops, but I don't think this is a great use of money and space.

Buy a spare set of wheels instead and have the snow tires mounted *once* at a competent shop. Sometime when it's convenient, long before you need them.

It doesn't take any more room to store four unmounted tires than it does to store four mounted tires. Mounting and balancing equipment, on the other hand, takes too much floor space.

The nice thing about two sets of wheels is that you won't be motivated to put off tire changes. Just switch to the other set whenever you want.
The following users liked this post:
speedz06 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I frankly doubt it's that little, and that it's worth having if it is. But you can ask Hunter, Coats, etc. They all have reps in every area that supply the machines.

Since '08, I've read about Elite Auto* in Port Jeff serving Setauket, too. They've had a good reputation. I would ck them out and ask questions about your aftermarket wheels, tpms mounting and tires. Don't know where you went to, but this might be the place for you to go. Good luck.

Found website: http://www.eliteautony.com/index.html

Last edited by AORoads; 12-16-2017 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
speedz06 (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 07:55 PM
StallionCorvette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tire machines can be costly, a cheap one can cost you $2k and a balancer another $1.5/2k.
On top of that you will be your own guinea pig and have the risk factor of scratching your rims nor damaging the tires while learning how to properly do it...Oh yeah you might also need a compressor to operate the machines, comes, tools etc.. and a good work space.

Just take it to your local dealer and let them charge you $25 per tire to mount them and balance them, have them do an alignment for an extra $60/80 just to justified their work so they can not give you any run around if the car is shaking, bouncing or wearing unevenly...that way you can always come back to them if any of these matters presents and have them correct it at no charges or excuses from them since they did everything that involves a good ride on the car.

Just my .02

Last edited by StallionCorvette; 12-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:05 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I'm a bit perplexed by your issue, and the fact that the tires are "approx. C7 Z06 sizes". Not sure what that means. In any case, did tirerack send you to Discount Tire? Those are the folks who tirerack deal with around here.

I don't think you will find satisfactory results with a $3K setup. Seems to me that if tire shops can't get it done with far better equipment than you will likely buy, how can you get it done with lower-quality equipment than they use?

I know I didn't offer any helpful advice...just wondering why you are having so much trouble getting your tires mounted.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:33 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

the problem is the shorter and wider the tire is, the stiffer the sidewall is. it is a MAJOR pain in the *** to mount and dismount tires like this. tire machines that are designed specifically for these type of tire and rim set up cost around 12k. most shops don't have the higher end machines like this and try to get by with a cheaper tire machines. therefore they are higher risk to damage your wheels.

most of the time they would rather pass at making 15-25 bucks per tire to avoid rim repairs at $200 per rim.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by russ472
the problem is the shorter and wider the tire is, the stiffer the sidewall is. it is a MAJOR pain in the *** to mount and dismount tires like this. tire machines that are designed specifically for these type of tire and rim set up cost around 12k. most shops don't have the higher end machines like this and try to get by with a cheaper tire machines. therefore they are higher risk to damage your wheels.

most of the time they would rather pass at making 15-25 bucks per tire to avoid rim repairs at $200 per rim.

Yep, starts off with a machine that is not going to mar the hell out of the inside of the barrel by clamping on it to hold the rim, then you get into a machine that can road balance the tires next.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by russ472

I agree; the above is very true. However, there is another situation: the fact that most tire persons don't really know what they are doing. I've been to IndyCar races where the tire changers for all teams are using 2-3 models older tire/wheel mounter than the current, hi-tech, low-touch models. I've been to shops that also have lower-tech older machines but the job gets done well because the tech knows what to do, how to do it and has done it many times on very low profile, runflats. Yes, it's more difficult, but it takes knowledge, a knack and experience. That's my take on it.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:37 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I've been looking for a changer/balancer for years. I have 8 cars and a trailer, and another 3 cars in the family I take care of. However, the only setup I would consider is a 'no-touch' system that is not rim clamp, and that alone prices me out of the market. Then a high-end balancer to take care of 12" wide rims. Oh well, I do look frequently at used stuff thinking one day I may get lucky.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:28 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Just had new tires put on mine, ran around trying to find someone that would install 345's as my old tire shop got sold and new owner refused to do them, even theough they had been doing them for 10 years.
finally Redline Motorsports told me about the tire shop they used near my work, so I pulled them off the car, and took the wheels and tires to them. Did a great job and even painted the weights black when they installed them. But no I wouldnt consider doing it myself

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have your own tire machine/balancer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you have your own tire machine/balancer?