C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I out of line expecting the dealer to fix my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:24 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Am I out of line expecting the dealer to fix my car?

Quick story, simple question.

On 11/24 I bought a 2013 ZR1 with 15k miles from AutoNation Dodge in Houston. Within a few days I realized the HVAC control unit wasn't working properly. The display won't respond to any inputs and sometimes it doesn't display anything at all. I immediately contacted my salesman and he never responded.

Fast forward a few weeks (I don't drive it much) and I got very frustrated when it wouldn't work at all this morning. So I contacted the salesman again. He said the car was purchased with no warranty and it's out of their hands.

So my question is: Am I out of line expecting them to fix it? I can buy the part and install it myself but why should I have to when I just spent a LOT of money at the dealer buying a car that was advertised to be in perfect working order?
Old 12-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by ZF Six

On 11/24 I bought a 2013 ZR1 with 15k miles from AutoNation Dodge in Houston. Within a few days I realized the HVAC control unit wasn't working properly. The display won't respond to any inputs and sometimes it doesn't display anything at all. I immediately contacted my salesman and he never responded.

Fast forward a few weeks (I don't drive it much) and I got very frustrated when it wouldn't work at all this morning. So I contacted the salesman again. He said the car was purchased with no warranty and it's out of their hands.

So my question is: Am I out of line expecting them to fix it? I can buy the part and install it myself but why should I have to when I just spent a LOT of money at the dealer buying a car that was advertised to be in perfect working order?
If in fact the car was purchased without a warranty case closed. Plain and simple. YOU signed the contract.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Ira T
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

No warranty at all?
I guess you are SOL.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:31 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

out of luck, but I would say all the dealers I have dealt with in the past if something was wrong in the first few days they fixed it.

Bad business on their part.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

From my experience you are likely out of luck if you are outside whatever their return policy is. If you are still in the timeframe in which they allow returns then you might get somewhere. They likely had you sign an AS IS agreement in the mound of documents they make you sign.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:35 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I did sign the as-is document, and I am aware that legally they are not required to do anything.

My expectation was for them to stand behind their product a lot more. If this happened in 6 months, or even 3 months, I could understand them telling me to hit the road. But this was an issue that was brought up 4 days after buying the car.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:37 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Yep, I bought a 2011 ZR1, about a week after you. I immediately purchased a GMEPP, from a forum vendor. You are too late now, to get immediate coverage; it has to be purchased within ten days, or you have a 30 day waiting period.

I did it just for that reason, it won't cover rotors and some wear items, but I'm pretty sure it would have covered that.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I agree you're SOL but probably better off in the long run. Who knows what a Dodge dealer could screw up on a ZR1. If they attempted to fix it they could make things worse.
The following users liked this post:
C6_Racer_X (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:45 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Out of warranty, As-Is, game over! I feel your frustration, but it is time to move on and just get it fixed and call it a day and enjoy your new ride. Fixating on it will only diminish what is suppose to be an exciting time. Congrats on your purchase! You should be able to purchase an inexpensive control unit on EBay for under $120.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

No easy way to put this but it’s really your fault. Don’t ever buy a used car unless you check every single function to ensure it’s working properly. This would have been easy to catch just by turning the HVAC on.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:56 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
No easy way to put this but it’s really your fault. Don’t ever buy a used car unless you check every single function to ensure it’s working properly. This would have been easy to catch just by turning the HVAC on.
Did you even read my post?

It works most of the time. The issue is sporadic.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:58 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

No expressed warranty, SOL. Fix it yourself and know it was done right and with new parts.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:19 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

It's interesting to me that everyone is so focused on the warranty and legality of them repairing it. I don't read that you are expecting "warranty" work...What happened to just being a good business and standing behind your product? You spent a lot of money there, if I had to guess this won't be the last car you purchase. Why not spend $100 now to possibly get your future 60k + purchase? To me that just seems like good smart business.
The following users liked this post:
exracer28 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:35 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by d.medic
It's interesting to me that everyone is so focused on the warranty and legality of them repairing it. I don't read that you are expecting "warranty" work...What happened to just being a good business and standing behind your product? You spent a lot of money there, if I had to guess this won't be the last car you purchase. Why not spend $100 now to possibly get your future 60k + purchase? To me that just seems like good smart business.
Finally someone who understands my position.

Everyone is saying "your fault, no warranty, out of luck, too bad" when that was not my question.

It is simply a question of business ethics and good practices.

Like many forum members, I am a small business owner. I have to go out of my way to make sure my customers are happy because my reputation and my future business depends on it. It's a shame that big companies couldn't care less about the customer experience.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:36 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by d.medic
Well most dealerships I've worked with (just my experience) have a 15-30 day warranty built into the price of the purchase despite the fact that it was purchased "As Is". The fact that this dealership doesn't offer that indicates to me that this isn't the first car they have sold that had immediate issues.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:37 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,034 Posts

If it sat on their lot for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those odd glitches from a weak battery. Now that you've been driving it for a few days, I'd disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, then reconnect it and see what happens. Might even be worth having the battery tested.

It's probably 50/50 it'll solve it, but what have you got to lose? Don't forget to index your windows when you reconnect the battery.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:08 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

So my question is: Am I out of line expecting them to fix it?
I can buy the part and install it myself but why should I have to when I just spent a LOT of money at the dealer buying a car that was advertised to be in perfect working order?
Yes, you are out of line. The car was sold As-Is.

I did sign the as-is document, and I am aware that legally they are not required to do anything.

My expectation was for them to stand behind their product a lot more. If this happened in 6 months, or even 3 months, I could understand them telling me to hit the road. But this was an issue that was brought up 4 days after buying the car.
Then you are aware that you are out of line in expecting them to fix it.

Finally someone who understands my position.

Everyone is saying "your fault, no warranty, out of luck, too bad" when that was not my question.

It is simply a question of business ethics and good practices.

Like many forum members, I am a small business owner. I have to go out of my way to make sure my customers are happy because my reputation and my future business depends on it. It's a shame that big companies couldn't care less about the customer experience.
It was your question.

When I purchased my car I didn't get 10 miles down the road when I found out that my TPMS sensors were failing. It didn't happen during my test drive. BUT I also didn't expect the dealer to fix it. As-Is.

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
If it sat on their lot for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those odd glitches from a weak battery. Now that you've been driving it for a few days, I'd disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, then reconnect it and see what happens. Might even be worth having the battery tested.

It's probably 50/50 it'll solve it, but what have you got to lose? Don't forget to index your windows when you reconnect the battery.
I'm with this guy. Have the battery checks and make sure all the connections are tight.

Last edited by jaredtxrx; 12-20-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I out of line expecting the dealer to fix my car?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:35 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Unless there's an express written warranty, used car sales are pretty much universally "AS IS". If you don't have a written warranty and you didn't have an independent mechanic check the car out before you purchased it, you're SOL. People want to make something like this a "fairness" issue when it's just about knowing the law and protecting yourself.

Last edited by RagTop69; 12-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:37 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say you're "not" out of line based on your post...if they advertised that the car was in "perfect" working order and you have it in writing...
Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Unfortunately, you bought the car 'as is' & without any warranty; as a result your sol as others have said.

Quick Reply: Am I out of line expecting the dealer to fix my car?