C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fob help

When I got my car it only had one fob. So I ordered another fob to have a backup.

I went through the programming and it seemed to work and named it Fob 4. But I soon found it does not quite work. It starts the car and the buttons work but when I hit “options” I get message that “options not available”. The auto lock doesn’t work either and I lost all my radio stations.

I went back to original fob and all works fine.

I tried to reprogram it but got message that the max of 4 was reached.

I see in the manual the long way to program from scratch but that will wipe out my good fob and am reluctant to try it using both remotes.

So how the heck does the fob allow me to drive the car and the buttons work but the “options” don’t work?

Help appreciated.

​​​​​​​Mike
Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogillio

When I got my car it only had one fob. So I ordered another fob to have a backup.

I went through the programming and it seemed to work and named it Fob 4. But I soon found it does not quite work. It starts the car and the buttons work but when I hit “options” I get message that “options not available”. The auto lock doesn’t work either and I lost all my radio stations.

I went back to original fob and all works fine.

I tried to reprogram it but got message that the max of 4 was reached.

I see in the manual the long way to program from scratch but that will wipe out my good fob and am reluctant to try it using both remotes.

So how the heck does the fob allow me to drive the car and the buttons work but the “options” don’t work?

Help appreciated.

Mike
​​​​​​​Only the first two fobs programmed to the car can access options. Fob 3 and 4 cannot.
The following users liked this post:
Rogillio (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by EVRose
​​​​​​​Only the first two fobs programmed to the car can access options. Fob 3 and 4 cannot.
What's the number on the back of your fob. If it's one maybe you can program the new one as #2. There's a post near here saw today gives some info on programing, might check it out or search.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
What's the number on the back of your fob. If it's one maybe you can program the new one as #2. There's a post near here saw today gives some info on programing, might check it out or search.
The fob number on the back of the fob means nothing. It's just there for your reference, not the car's reference.

With a fob #4 already programmed, the only way to get a fob reprogrammed with a different number is to use the long procedure and reprogram all fobs you're going to have.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vette_DD:
owc6 (12-21-2017), Rogillio (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:29 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
The only way to do it is the long programming procedure. That will erase both fobs from memory as well as the fob 3 that's floating around somewhere and start from scratch. Both fobs will then work with the memory options.

Vette_DD

Last edited by EVRose; 12-21-2017 at 06:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EVRose:
owc6 (12-21-2017), Rogillio (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
The fob number on the back of the fob means nothing. It's just there for your reference, not the car's reference.

With a fob #4 already programmed, the only way to get a fob reprogrammed with a different number is to use the long procedure and reprogram all fobs you're going to have.

And since you don't know if there are other 'unknown' fobs somewhere, that are programmed for your car, it's not a bad idea to go through the long process and re-program both of your fobs naming them #1 and #2.

The following users liked this post:
Rogillio (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Awesome! Really appreciate the information. This site is great!

But it didnt work. I started the long procedure and it said there were already 4 fobs. What am I missing?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,793 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

My GS also came with only 1 fob. I ordered a second and just followed the manual on the long reprogramming procedure to wipe out all fobs, then reprogram the two I had. I even programmed the new one to #1 because it was in better shape than the one that came with the car & made that one #2. Both work fine with all options available.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome! Really appreciate the information. This site is great!

But it didnt work. I started the long procedure and it said there were already 4 fobs. What am I missing?
You missed something in the long procedure. That procedure "knows" not to pay attention to fobs already programmed.

Read the procedure again and be sure you're following it EXACTLY.

Here's a link to the procedures. Included is a way to test the slot in the glove box that is used for the programming. You've got to be sure it's working right. Read the procedure for external things that can cause problems.

https://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6FobProgramming.pdf

Last edited by Vette_DD; 12-21-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Well, if it's programed #1 the car knows that and the car does what #1 FOB is programed to do in reference to it. I would think that would make the number for the cars reference as well....I know when I use my #2 FOB it reacts differently. If you don't have any numbers at all on the fobs the car will still reference that fob. So it's as much or more for the car's reference.

I agree, he will probably have to start over if he can't just program a #2 fob for his reference and the cars also...

Last edited by NOWUCME; 12-21-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Ok, got it! The book does NOT say this but the fob sticky I found here does. You have to take other
fobs out of range first.

Went thru the procedure and all seems well. Both new and old key work as fobs 1 and 2.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, got it! The book does NOT say this but the fob sticky I found here does. You have to take other
fobs out of range first.

Went thru the procedure and all seems well. Both new and old key work as fobs 1 and 2.

I was sure something was missed, but didn't realize that some important instructions were left out of the owner's manual.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I was sure something was missed, but didn't realize that some important instructions were left out of the owner's manual.
Haha, and some here think Thy Holy Owner's Tome is the last word on everything.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 PM
EVRose
Race Director

That's because the OM only takes into consideration 2 scenarios. Either adding a fob when you already have at least one working one or programming a new fob when you have lost all of them. The OP's situation is neither of those.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:00 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Good to know. I lost my Honda fob and will need to this to a new purchased fob from somewhere.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
Good to know. I lost my Honda fob and will need to this to a new purchased fob from somewhere.
And why would you think the procedure for a Honda would be at all similar to that of a Corvette? GM doesn't even use similar procedures for their own similar cars. But if you are saying that you will use the advice of reading the manual, then never mind.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:58 PM
davo2110
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to buy a 2nd fob from EBay--then got so frustrated trying to program it by the owner's manual that I took it to my dealer. He put it on his computer and had it set; not a problem-should have done that in the first place. My time is worth that much
Old 12-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by orca1946
Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
And why would you think the procedure for a Honda would be at all similar to that of a Corvette? GM doesn't even use similar procedures for their own similar cars. But if you are saying that you will use the advice of reading the manual, then never mind.
Someone wasn't thinking when they posted that.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob help

Quick Reply: Fob help