C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:49 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Interior rear view mirror

My car is an 08 base w/Z51. The interior rear view mirror was in terrible shape when I bought the car a couple years ago. I finally just replaced it with one I got from a forum member out of a 2013 Z06. Both mirrors have OnStar, and GPS. The swap was easy and straight forward. My concern is with the GPS. The mirror doesn't seem to know what direction I'm going. I read my instruction manual which says to adjust the zone where I live. I did that no problem. Then it says it may need to be recalibrated. To do so, it says to hold the left map light button down for 3 seconds until a "C" appears in the GPS window. I tried that and can't get a "C" to appear, and therefore can't recalibrate the GPS.

My question is: Do the later model mirrors have a different sequence for recalibrating? According to gmpartsdirect.com the same mirror is supposed to apply to all 08 thru 13 Corvettes, so I don't think that is the problem. Any help appreciated.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It tells how to do it in your owners manual. If I remember right, you basically go to an open parking lot and do a number of "figure 8s" after putting into a calibration mode and setting the region. When I bought mine, it came from CA, so I had to set the proper region then do the calibration.

Originally Posted by unclecookie
My car is an 08 base w/Z51. The interior rear view mirror was in terrible shape when I bought the car a couple years ago. I finally just replaced it with one I got from a forum member out of a 2013 Z06. Both mirrors have OnStar, and GPS. The swap was easy and straight forward. My concern is with the GPS. The mirror doesn't seem to know what direction I'm going. I read my instruction manual which says to adjust the zone where I live. I did that no problem. Then it says it may need to be recalibrated. To do so, it says to hold the left map light button down for 3 seconds until a "C" appears in the GPS window. I tried that and can't get a "C" to appear, and therefore can't recalibrate the GPS.

My question is: Do the later model mirrors have a different sequence for recalibrating? According to gmpartsdirect.com the same mirror is supposed to apply to all 08 thru 13 Corvettes, so I don't think that is the problem. Any help appreciated.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

The owners manual is in error. It says to hold down the left map light button but that is wrong. You need to hold down the on/off button.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:22 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I doubt that the mirror has GPS. AFAIK, there is a magnetic compass in there somewhere, which needs to know approximately where you are because of the Magnetic Declination Effect (Magnetic North is not True North). Once you input the zone that you are driving in, the compass system applies the magnetic declination for where you are, and then needs to be calibrated as others have stated. I've also read that it will calibrate just from 'normal' driving after a while.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
I doubt that the mirror has GPS. AFAIK, there is a magnetic compass in there somewhere, which needs to know approximately where you are because of the Magnetic Declination Effect (Magnetic North is not True North). Once you input the zone that you are driving in, the compass system applies the magnetic declination for where you are, and then needs to be calibrated as others have stated. I've also read that it will calibrate just from 'normal' driving after a while.
Yes I suppose I should have said compass instead of GPS.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by EVRose
The owners manual is in error. It says to hold down the left map light button but that is wrong. You need to hold down the on/off button.

Thanks for the correction. I was able to use the on/off button to set the region, but I haven't tried it for the compass calibration. I'll try that.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:16 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by gliot1
It tells how to do it in your owners manual. If I remember right, you basically go to an open parking lot and do a number of "figure 8s" after putting into a calibration mode and setting the region. When I bought mine, it came from CA, so I had to set the proper region then do the calibration.
I just re-read my post, and I should have said "owner's" manual, instead of "instruction" manual. I followed the instructions in the "owner's" manual but was not able to put the compass into calibration mode. I was able to set the region, just not the calibration.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I just re-read my post, and I should have said "owner's" manual, instead of "instruction" manual. I followed the instructions in the "owner's" manual but was not able to put the compass into calibration mode. I was able to set the region, just not the calibration.
Hold that on/off button down for 10-15 seconds and you should see CAL show up.
The following users liked this post:
unclecookie (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Bruster
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose

See.......the Forum is better than an owners manual!
unclecookie (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Because the Z06 is a model and Z51 is an option, the method for mirror calibration is different. JK

Actually, the '08 owner's manual has two places explaining the calibration method. To initiate the process, on page 2-39 it mentions the left map light, but on page 2-43 it says to use the on/off button.

The '09 owner's manual resolves the problem by mentioning that you do it one way if the mirror does not have map lights and the other way if you do have map lights.

All '08 and newer Vettes have map lights as standard equipment according to the ordering guide. I can only assume the people who write and or update manuals, just do a lot of copy/paste without really reading much. The '08 service manuals even show C5 information in places.
unclecookie (12-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Interior rear view mirror

Quick Reply: Interior rear view mirror