C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Tech 2 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:24 AM
jonathans2k
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got the files decompressed, got everything loaded. Hooked it all up, go to play with the tech2 function and I start getting error messages. The error messages always happen after I select North America on the configurator. For giggles, I've tried every option on the configurator and get the same error messages. I get the error messages whether trying to launch tech2 from within the vx manager or from the tech 2 desktop icons.

One of the error messages says that sometimes an uninstall and reinstall fixes the problem, so that's what I did - same result.

"Tech2Win is exiting with an error code - 1 (parsing of program arguments failed) which leads me to a log with red font saying "Warning Tech2Win runs under Windows 6.3 in compatiligty mode version 6.2!" and further down "PDU error: unknown PDU error"

I'm not computer savvy....so what does this mean and how do I fix it? Everything installed smooth and fast once I figured out the .rar thing.

I purposely bought an older laptop from amazon specifically for this project which, from my understanding, should work well for this VCX Nano, unless my technical illiteracy failed me again.

Computer is an HP 215, windows 8.1 pro 64 bit.

Is my computer wrong for this?

Laptop
Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 AM
jonathans2k
Heel & Toe

I’m guessing maybe my computer needed updates. I gave up last night and when I turned it off before bed it said it needed to perform 152 updates. This morning when I went to the computer to try tech 2 everything looks like it loads and wow is fine! Haven’t hooked it up to my car yet but i will after I get some of my errands done
Old 09-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

In this order from the white disc that came with the Nano
Install/reinstall GM Mdi program first.
Then install/reinstall Tech2win program next, since it going to mod some of the GM Midi files for the Nano to allow tech2win to work.
Then install/reinstall VX Mdi driver last, since it going to mod both of the above, and get the correct drivers installed so the Nano is going to work.
You install the programs in the incorrect order, and each program is not going to mod the needed needed files in the other program it needs, since it's not installed yet.

Now go into VX Mdi driver from the window pull down start menu of programs, start VX mdi driver (VX manager), update the nano firmware by clicking on the firmware button, then licenses by clicking on that buttoon, and if you are going to be running TIS2000, click on licenses panel on the left hand side , go to the diagnostics tab on the top, and install the pass throu+ and the gdss/t2w drivers that you will need for TIS2000 on your machine.
Now that is all is all you want to install from VX manager.

Next, back in the windows start button, click on it, in the search box on the bottom, type in Device manager, it will list device manger to the right, and click on device manger. Now in device manager, go to ports and expand it, it should show usb serial port com 3. If the port is on some other port besides port 3, double click on usb serial port com, go to port setting, click on the advance button, go to the port setting and change it to com3 and click OK.

Now restart your computer!!!!!!

Now when you click on Tech2win icon on desk top, Should get the Tech2win screen, should get a pop up screen that you select North Amercia, next screen will ask if MDI or MDI 2 device (nano is a MDI 1), the another pop up screen that you select USB device, that screen will close, and the Tech2win screen will do a quick check, beep and your golden.

If you get a crash in any of the above pop up screens, then the win 10 OS you are using on your laptop, will not work to run Tech2win instead. Hence when MS created the WIN 10 for Intel chips, they dumped the needed drivers to allow win 7 programs to run on it. On AMD chip machines, some of the win 7 drivers where needed to allow that chip to work in Win 10, and why Tech2win will run on some AMD machines running win10 isntead.

So the quick way to solve this for an intel machine, set the machine for a dual boot up, with win 10 as your normal OS that your going to use every day, and the dual boot of Win 7 for the your nano needs.

Or, just set up another laptop running Win 7 for your nano needs (can be 32 or 64 bit), if your lost on setting up a dual boot on a machine instead.

As for your C6, the program you need to check out the trans is Tech2win, not GDS2.

If you need to reflash the TCM firmware file itself in the TCM (shouldn't unless you replace the TCM/trans and is need to be flashed to the car), then it will be TIS200O that will be needed.

So to set TIS2000 up, will need to build a VM shell with XP to start with (the GDS2 shell will not work to add Tis200 to it, since it's a moded shell that will not connect to the internet)

So once you have the XPVM shell running from a XP install disc, your going to install the XV mid driver from the white disc, and then make sure to add in the drivers as show above from the VX manager.
Now your going to start the TIS2000 install, install disc 2, the disc 3, use the dongle crack to change a few file, then you going to go into TIS200 to add in a pass throu driver as well (TIS200 cracked read me file will walk you through off of this.

Again, the only time you will use Tis2000, is if you need to do SPS programming, and that is only if you change a module out, and need to program it to marry it to the car!!!!

If your lost on all of this, click on my name to the left, and send me a personal message with your real name and phone number so I can call you to talk you through such instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-09-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 PM
zane8
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up the VCX Nano so that I could do some diagnosing of problems by monitoring sensor voltages on my '98 C5. While I'm not the most PC savvy, I was able to load all the software and in the order described in the last post.
I've gone into the VX manager and updated the firmware and also clicked on the license icon (with the little lock on it). It gave me a quick window showing that the license was updated.

However, when I go into Tech2Win quickstart, I get a message stating that my license needs to be updated as shown below. With this restriction, it will not let me into the car.
I did a bit of searching on this forum and online and didn't find any solutions. I understand that since I'm not trying to program modules, I don'd need to get a GM subscription.

Any ideas on how to move forward? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Dano523
Race Director

In this order from the white disc that came with the Nano
Install/reinstall GM Mdi program first.

Then install/reinstall Tech2win program next, since it going to mod some of the GM Midi files for the Nano to allow tech2win to work.

Then install/reinstall VX Mdi driver last, since it going to mod both of the above, and get the correct drivers installed so the Nano is going to work.

You install the programs in the incorrect order, and each program is not going to mod the needed needed files in the other program it needs, since it's not installed yet.

So reinstall the programs in the correct order, go into Vx mdi/Manager and upgrade the firmware first, then update the licenses in this screen via the bottom right buttons,
http://www.allscanner.com/wp-content...-Manager_1.png

and use the Tech2win shortcut on desk top to start Tech2 win.
Hence don't try to use any of the GM MDI files to open Tech2win (all will be a crash and burn), and it has to be opened via the desk top Icon modded file that was installed during the second and third programs install.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-20-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:33 PM
zane8
Cruising

I will reinstall all the programs as you have suggested and report back.

...and use the Tech2win shortcut on desk top to start Tech2 win.
When I installed Tech2win before, I ended up with two desktop icons. One was called Tech2win and the other was called Tech2win Quickstart. Assuming the reinstall produces the same two icons, which do I use?

Thanks for your assistance Dano.

Last edited by zane8; 11-20-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Throw the Tech2win Quickstart icon in the trash, and only use the desktop tech2 win icon to start the program with the nano plugged into a usb 2 port. Same goes for not trying to use any of the GM MDI programs in the program menu folder, since they will have errors as well.

So it's just the tech2win icon in desktop that you want to use, since it will initiate tech2win configurator that you need to use (the pop up windows) to direct the tech2win program at the nano to use it.

Also, tech II screen should start for about a second, then should get these three pop up screens.
So select north America in the first screen, mdi1 in the second, and select the USB device in the third screen.

If you do not get these three screens but Tech 2win go directly to the last screen below, then tech2win is not going to work with the Win 10 OS that you are running on the computer.

And up back here,

To add once you get to the last screen, hit enter, year and make of car, and the C6 is a Y type.

On other type of cars, look at the Vin #at the 4th digit letter to get type of car letter you need to select in tech2win for that car letter type.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-20-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:56 PM
zane8
Cruising

I am running Win 7, 32 bit. Program files are in the correct x86 location. This laptop will also do 64 bit (x64).

I uninstalled GM MDI, Tech2,Win, VX Manager, and VM Ware player.. Then I reinstalled in the order you gave me. I did not reinstall VM Ware player. During the VX Manager install, I chose GM and passthru as my options.
Firmware was updated as well as the license.

Before I saw your post. I tried to open with Tech2Win Quickstart and that's when I get the license error. I tossed the Quickstart icon.
When I open the Tech2Win only, I get this screen. No choice for North America as shown below.

If I click default or quickstart - It tries to start the Tech2 screen along with the MDI, MDI2 choice as shown in your second screen, but it also pops up the license expired screen that I originally posted.
Clicking the "create new" on top gives me another confusing screen.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:34 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Zane8, I sent you a PM with a link to the white CD software in case your disc is curpt and the problem, as well as more detailed direction on installing the solftware in the correct order, how to make sure that nano is on USB serial port com4, as well how to update the nano's firmware and how to update the nano license.

To see your PM, go to the top of page where you name is when you log on after welcome, and will be right under that with PM's unread message showing that you have a PM. Click on that, and it will take you to your private messages.

Just make sure you go in windows control panel, uninstall program from the category menu, and uninstall all the old white CD programs from the disc before you install the software from the link I sent to you. Also, included my phone number if you get lost, or still have problems and need to call me.

Also, I just checked, and the latest nano firmware is 1.4.9.0 when you update the nano firmware, and again, make sure to click the license icon to install and update your nano license. Will get a license has been updated screen once you left click the license icon.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-22-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:33 PM
zane8
Cruising

Dano,

Thanks so much for your help. I reinstalled everything and I've no got the Nano running. I sent you a PM also.
Very much appreciated..

Z
Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by zane8
Dano,

Thanks so much for your help. I reinstalled everything and I've no got the Nano running. I sent you a PM also.
Very much appreciated..

Z
Zane, was the problem the programs on your disc corrupted, or was it a step in the process once the programs where loaded that you did not follow instead?

Since the last year 'ish, more than a few peoples White disc had corrupted software, and why I did the link to download a clean version of the programs instead.

Also, isntead of installing the VM player that comes with the disc, download the laster player from VM wares direct to start with,
https://www.vmware.com/
Go to downloads on the left, then in the free product column in downloads, down load the workstation player.

As for the VMGDS2V15 that comes on the disc, it dates (only goes up to 2016 cars), so download GDS2V17 from the web and use it isntead for newer cars.

As for the best trick to the Nano cord so it does not keep coming uplugged from the nano if you hit the cord with our foot, here you go.
https://i.imgur.com/MKR7f2p.jpg
Start off by pulling the cord lightly towards the label top of the nano with it plugged in to put light upwards pressure on the USB since the connector points are on that side of the plug, wrap a few wraps of tape, then fold the cord back down, and add a few more winds.

Last edited by Dano523; 11-24-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM
zane8
Cruising

Dano,

I am not sure if my disc was corrupted. I ended up just using your download and it worked. There was a compressed file (.rar) that was with the original disc which I did not open originally. I don't know if that made a difference.
Thanks for the tips on the updated software. Right now, my two GM vehicles are 2010 and 1998, so I don't think I need the updated software until I buy something newer. Let me know if I am wrong about that.
I also saw the tip on securing the nano cord. After reviewing this thread a few times, I chose to by the OBD extension cord with the right angle connector. The nano and its cord end up just sitting next to the laptop.

Z
Old 11-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Dano523
Race Director

GDS2, is used with newer cars where the Tech2win no longer covers them
Here is a list of which you use on which cars between 08 and 13, with everything from 2014 and newer using GSD2.

https://www.genuinegmparts.com/pdf/p...-reference.pdf
Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

________________________________________ ____________
A little tape trick I found useful with the GM nano, since I kept disconnecting the micro USB connector to the device when pumping the brakes by hitting the cable with my foot for the T2W brake bleed procedure.
Hence it first has you pump the brakes for a few second, then has you come off the brake pedal so the ABS can drive fluid next, then you do the same thing for the remaining 3 calipers.

Hence tension the connector so it upwards against the face of the device with the cable pulled towards the pin side of the device, get a few winds of tape, then loop the cable back and add a few more winds. This will hold the Micro usb connector with it pins tight to the socket pins so your not knocking it loose with your foot when you do hit the cable, and the small loop helps so the wire does not become slack again over time.

Is this a 'specialty' MICRO USB or will an 'off the shelf' MICRO work as well as/same as the one in the box?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Dano523
Race Director

There is no problems with the OEM cord (or one that a replacement cable is going to resolve) but instead that once you have the nano plugged in, too easy to hit the cord with your foot to unplug it from the Nano micro usb socket isntead.

So the tape loop trick, just keep the micro USB end of the cord plugged into the nano when you do tag the cord with your foot trying to get to the brake pedal isntead.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:11 PM
boovy
Cruising

Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Does the WIFI VXDIAG module also connect via a USB cable?

Originally Posted by Dano523
you plug the device into the OBD2 port, and then you either use Wifi back to the laptop to connect that way ($129), or you can use a usb cable instead ($119).

Even through the device is using GDS2, MDI and Tech2win software on the laptop side, the only thing that I have to question is if you can drive firmware upgrades through it to reprogram modules if needed as well?

Now the bad news that maybe the op can bring us up to speed, did you mange to get the tech2 win to install on a 64 bit machine with 64 bit windows, or did you install tech2win and the rest of the software a 32windows machine only isntead.

Truth is, for $119, would just about cover what most are using the tech II for on the vet anyways, but still back to the question if you have to have a X86 machine (32 bit machine with 32 bit windows software) to load the needed tech2 win software to, since it does look its a no-go on a X64 machine with window 64 bit windows install , and even a no go of trying to VM a X86 shell to run tech2 win that way on a X64 loaded version of windows on a 64 bit machine instead.

So the real question since most of the newer laptops are 64 bit, and running windows 10 64 bit, is this what you loaded the software to, and had no problems running it? Or did you have a 32 bit machine laying around to load the software to instead.
Note, there is a work around to get a 32 bit program to run on 64 bit software, but it no joy, and not sure how its going to reach to GDS2 running in a VM shell at the same time.
https://benpiper.com/2011/11/forcing...s-environment/

https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2W.../dp/B074365Q6H
I have seen several posts concerning the length of the OBD cable and I wonder if the WIFI version of the VXDIAG can also connect via a USB cable as there may be times when you want to be "hard wired" to the module. Does anyone who has a WIFI version know if it can also use the USB cable and if so is a USB cable supplied with the WIFI version?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Tech 2 alternative

Old 02-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Yes, you can use the wifi Nano either way.
The down side to using it wifi, is the nano needs to plugged into the OBDII port to pull it own power from the port, before Tech2win can see it.
Also, in this config with the nano pulling power from the OBDII port of the car, wants to drop out when you start the car, since it loses power for a brief second.

Lastly, if you are using VM GDS2 and the nano, plays real havoc trying to use the nano in Wifi version. Hence VM GDS2 shell is set to not access the internet on the main OS system, and it run in off GM connect mode. The glitch here, you need to set up a tunnel out of VM to the Main OS that will connect to the nano on Wifi only, but the tunnel can not connect to the internet that is often tied to Wifi to being with.

I can be done, but most do not have the talent to set the tunnel out of VM to the main OS to allow access to the main OS wifi connections, but again, not allow internet access to the internet. Again the VM shell is not set up even with internet connect in the shell back to the main OS to begin with, so that has to be set up to begin with in the VM shell, then you need to build the tunnel in both (main OS as well) that will only allow access to the Nano alone on the main OS wifi connected to the VM shell.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 AM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

The Tech2Win runs well on my 64bit win 10 laptop . I have made a VM ware XP pc with the VXmanager and the MDI driver installed and it seems to me that I can load data from my PCM into the TIS2000 that shows the files installed on my PCM when useing the NANO .

But how do I get the new files from my AC Delco online account into my PCM if I want to reprogram it or update files ?

If I choose 1 vehicle USD 40 , do I down the files from AC Delco though my "old TIS2000" software or do I use software from AC Delco (Tis2web) and only use the NANO as Passthrough device ?

Is it possible to store these files for my car on my hard disc if later needed or do I always have to download the files from my AC Delco account ?

I hope you can inform me on this issue

Thanks

Old 02-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Dano523
Race Director

If you have TIS2000 built correctly with crack and driver, should all that is needed. Hence TIS2000 will check with GM and pull down any file needed, so long as you built the VM shell with access to the internet. If you added TIS2000 to the GDS2 vm Machine, huge problem since that VM does not connect to the internet instead,

If you want to use TDS, then when it loads up Java and the other programs, Don't select and install the Bosch MDI or Tech 2 drivers that pop up when you open TDS, but just select generic driver you built in TIS200 and which are tied to the VX manager. As for saving TDS files, can be done, but since the how thing is done on line, your more trying to capture the files to save them that way.
The following users liked this post:
oelarse (03-01-2019)

Quick Reply: GM Tech 2 alternative