C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Polishing

i have some issues in my clear coat. I was thinking about buying an electric polishering and working on the issue but I’ve been cautioned against it. Been told I could “go too deep” and ruin the paint. It was suggested I have it professionally polished/buffed.

Any DIYers out there? Tips, suggestions, horror stories welcome.

Popular Reply

12-31-2017, 01:46 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I own a detailing shop in Silicon Valley, so here we go....
You can buy a Porter Cable DA Polisher at Home Depot for $120 and order a 6"backing plate from Autogeek, or do a search in your local area for detailing supplies. Many pro detailing supply shops carry the backing plate and sell to the public.

Then go to Esoteric Car Care
Order 3 - 6" Rupes Blue Compounding Pads, 3 Rupes Yellow Polishing Pads, Jescar Correcting Compound and the Sonax Ex 04-06 Polishing Compound, - Small bottles
Order 8 of the Yellow general purpose Microfiber towels.

Use the Blue pads with the Jescar, and the Yellow pads with the Sonax, use 1 pad on the hood and top, if a colored top and the front bumper, second pad on the front fender and doors, third pad on the rear fenders, and rear of the car.
The reason you use multiple pads is due to the fact they get loaded up with compound/polish and clear coat. Using a single pad over the entire car will actually create as many problems as it supposedly solves as you near the end of your buffing cycle. Using a single pad will still improve the finish, and produce good results, but if you are looking for stunning results that makes your car stand out, this is the investment to make.
You can use the single pad and clean it based on the above panels, but make sure it is completely dry. You can spin it on 6 on the PC for a minute to help get it dry.
Use one MF towel on the same areas as the pads, they also get loaded up with product and if you leave residue behind, your top coat will not adhere properly.
When you begin to buff, it is not a race, going slow is the ticket. You need to let the pad and the product work on the finish. Rapidly running the buffer over the surface just spreads the product and will not do the job it is supposed to do. In a 2ft x 2ft area I will take about 2 minutes, first up and down, then side to side, if curves then at angle and always finish up and down on vertical surfaces, front to back on horizontal surfaces. Speed on the PC for compounding is 4.5, for polishing 3.
Your results will be simply stunning."
If all of this is too many $$$, I would order the M105 and the M205, with the above pads, and follow these instructions - M105 and M205 instructions
Depending on your budget, I would try and go with a ceramic, Gyeon Q2 Syncro is what we use from Esoteric., but the other Gyeon coatings are awesome.

I am trying out Polish Angel products, but the jury is still out.

While the "junkman" videos explain a few things it is very old school, and a great opportunity to create a mess, based on my standards.

At the end of the day, soak your pad(s) and towels in Tide Free and Gentle, or better yet Gyeon Towel Wash. Use a soft brush to clean the surface and set aside to dry.
Microfibers should be washed all on their own, and if your water is not softened add a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle as it is filling and let it soak for 30 minutes. When drying use the gentle cycle and dry them to just barely moist. Too hot or too long and the Microfiber will be melted and the towels ruined.
Hope this helps.... Ask questions!!!!
iI have no affiliation with Esoteric, just use them for my detailing supplies because they are in the upper end of quality supplies and equipment.
My detailing shop(Deep Reflections Auto Detailers in Los Gatos, CA) does Ceramic Pro, Gyeon, Kamaikaze and Zaino, in order of pricing. New web site coming....
Old 12-30-2017, 10:28 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Maybe try here for advice? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-10/

I'd suggest paying a professional to do a paint correction then as needed you can experiment with waxing and other cleaning methods. Practicing basic maintenance is one thing, hitting it with a polisher is another.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:48 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

adamspolishes.com

search "junkman" on youtube

If you use a DA orbital polisher you have to work at it to do any harm. Do some research and educate yourself. Also you say you have a problem with your clear coat but you don't say what the problem is???
Old 12-30-2017, 10:56 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

You almost cant hurt your paint with a DA polisher...be careful on edges where the paint is thinner. I watched the Junkman videos as well before I started.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

You can buy a Porter Cable DA Polisher at Home Depot for $120 and order a 6"backing plate from Autogeek, or do a search in your local area for detailing supplies. Many pro detailing supply shops carry the backing plate and sell to the public.

Order 3 - 6" Rupes Blue Compounding Pads, 3 Rupes Yellow Polishing Pads, Jescar Correcting Compound and the Sonax Ex 04-06 Polishing Compound, - Small bottles

Use the Blue pads with the Jescar, and the Yellow pads with the Sonax, use 1 pad on the hood and top, if a colored top and the front bumper, second pad on the front fender and doors, third pad on the rear fenders, and rear of the car.
The reason you use multiple pads is due to the fact they get loaded up with compound/polish and clear coat. Using a single pad over the entire car will actually create as many problems as it supposedly solves as you near the end of your buffing cycle. Using a single pad will still improve the finish, and produce good results, but if you are looking for stunning results that makes your car stand out, this is the investment to make.
You can use the single pad and clean it based on the above panels, but make sure it is completely dry. You can spin it on 6 on the PC for a minute to help get it dry.
Use one MF towel on the same areas as the pads, they also get loaded up with product and if you leave residue behind, your top coat will not adhere properly.
When you begin to buff, it is not a race, going slow is the ticket. You need to let the pad and the product work on the finish. Rapidly running the buffer over the surface just spreads the product and will not do the job it is supposed to do. In a 2ft x 2ft area I will take about 2 minutes, first up and down, then side to side, if curves then at angle and always finish up and down on vertical surfaces, front to back on horizontal surfaces. Speed on the PC for compounding is 4.5, for polishing 3.
If all of this is too many $$$, I would order the M105 and the M205, with the above pads, and follow these instructions - M105 and M205 instructions
Depending on your budget, I would try and go with a ceramic, Gyeon Q2 Syncro is what we use from Esoteric., but the other Gyeon coatings are awesome.

While the "junkman" videos explain a few things it is very old school, and a great opportunity to create a mess, based on my standards.

At the end of the day, soak your pad(s) and towels in Tide Free and Gentle, or better yet Gyeon Towel Wash. Use a soft brush to clean the surface and set aside to dry.
Microfibers should be washed all on their own, and if your water is not softened add a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle as it is filling and let it soak for 30 minutes. When drying use the gentle cycle and dry them to just barely moist. Too hot or too long and the Microfiber will be melted and the towels ruined.
iI have no affiliation with Esoteric, just use them for my detailing supplies because they are in the upper end of quality supplies and equipment.
My detailing shop(Deep Reflections Auto Detailers in Los Gatos, CA) does Ceramic Pro, Gyeon, Kamaikaze and Zaino, in order of pricing. New web site coming....

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 12-31-2017 at 01:48 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
BullittEV (01-04-2018), Chris J (01-01-2018), Keithwinnfl (04-19-2020), Mike Green9 (04-04-2020), Phred2 (12-31-2017), Purple92 (01-01-2018), racerx3317 (12-31-2017), Rogillio (12-31-2017), S.C. vette (12-31-2017), Sledge Hammer (01-01-2018), SouthBaySurfer (12-31-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:49 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Harbor Freight DA polisher, $50

Autogeek for Lake Country pads and watch the detailing videos

DA polisher wont burn through the paint.

I use Meguires Ultimate compound for scratches in the clearcoat, followed by Meguires Ultimate polish and then Griots Best of Show Paste wax!!

Last edited by Don-Vette; 12-31-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Clay bar, don't forget to clay before any polishing
Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 AM
custompainter99
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1

I'm local to you,,,what do you charge to ceramic coat?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:01 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I have a good friend here in Dallas who recently detailed mine. Not sure exactly what all he did... But damn, he made my Black car look new again.

Last edited by TXGS507; 12-31-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:28 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I use a Dewalt variable speed polisher. Yes a variable speed polisher is dangerous to paint when in the wrong hands, but will give the best results, esp. when you use the right creams and ointments..(LOL). If your a hands on type of person then i'd get a D/A polisher and follow a few simple rules and have at it. But as one post mentioned, be careful around the edges....maybe not so much because the paint is thinner there (maybe), but because when you are on the edge all of the machines weight is now concentrated on that small area. One will learn to lift the machine a certain amount to decrease the application weight when doing edges.....good luck
Old 12-31-2017, 12:48 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I used the $50 harbor freight da polisher with autogeeks Wolfgang swirl remover followed by their polish and finished with there sealant, couldn't be happier it was the first time I "buffed" out a car!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:05 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I followed this video and used the 3 Wolfgang products to a tee. Just do a good clay bar before.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N9r5XS0xriI

Last edited by demon340; 12-31-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:52 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Use a dual action polisher with foam pads and you will be fine. Watch the Autogeek "How to's" on their website before you begin so you will have the right pads and products for the job. Do not use a rotary buffer unless you have considerable experience running one, you can do serious damage if you are not careful and experienced using a rotary..
Old 12-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered the Porter Cabel variable speed polisher - Amazon, $119. Also ordered 101 and 102, pads and rags.

sounds like the polisher is pretty safe for a novice. Might not get the bad scratches but should work on the water makes and light scratches. It will give me something to do and learn a little. From what I’ve read it’s a slow process if done correctly.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rogillio
I ordered the Porter Cabel variable speed polisher - Amazon, $119. Also ordered 101 and 102, pads and rags.

sounds like the polisher is pretty safe for a novice. Might not get the bad scratches but should work on the water makes and light scratches. It will give me something to do and learn a little. From what I’ve read it’s a slow process if done correctly.
Correct, slow process but very rewarding. Make sure you wash the car a couple times and then clay bar to remove all contaminants stuck to the surface of the paint before trying to polish. Also if you are concerned about any edges or tight areas you can tape them with painters tape before polishing or just avoid them until you think you have the hang of it.
The following users liked this post:
Rogillio (01-01-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:33 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Clay bar, don't forget to clay before any polishing
Old school, try Nano Skin Auto scrub sponges, you'll never use clay again
Amazon Amazon
nSF
Old 12-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by custompainter99
I'm local to you,,,what do you charge to ceramic coat?
PM'd, it is the old "depends on what you are looking for
Jimang (01-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing

Old 01-01-2018, 12:48 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogillio
i have some issues in my clear coat. I was thinking about buying an electric polishering and working on the issue but I’ve been cautioned against it. Been told I could “go too deep” and ruin the paint. It was suggested I have it professionally polished/buffed.

Any DIYers out there? Tips, suggestions, horror stories welcome.
I had our car in a car show last summer and was so impressed by an Adams rep demonstration that I ended up buying an Adams Long Throw Swirl Killer Buffer and a bunch of Adams detail products and polishes.

I spent 1/2 day on the car starting with the clay bar followed by Adams Finishing Polish and Finally an application of pure Carnauba Wax. The following weekend I took home a trophy for best C6 Convertible.

My car has a decal package and the polisher didn't harm them at all, if anything it really made them "pop" as they had become slightly dull.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:44 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Old school, try Nano Skin Auto scrub sponges, you'll never use clay again
https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-AS-0...skin+autoscrub
nSF
Wasn't aware of these, thanks I will check it out. Clay bar can be painfully slow, I have tried the clay towel but the one I have really wasn't much different that just using the bar.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Wasn't aware of these, thanks I will check it out. Clay bar can be painfully slow, I have tried the clay towel but the one I have really wasn't much different that just using the bar.
Wouldn't surprise me that if in 20 years that the clay bar will be seen as one of the biggest farces ever in automotive detailing.....
jdvann (01-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Polishing