C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil catch can. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Oil catch can. Is it worth it?

I've been reading articles on these oil catch cans and wanted to get your guys opinions. Is it worth getting and if so what brands are of a good quality.

Vendors in no particular order:

Last edited by Elijah71; 01-03-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 PM
    cadyshac
    Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
    2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have been wondering why no posts about this on the Corvette forum. On the 5th gen camaro forum the battle rages back and forth, it's like politics. I have 2 5th gen SS Camaro's and no catch cans on either but that's just me. Most argue that the newer direct injection engines benefit the most from these. I can tell you Chevrolet did put an oil seperator (catch can) on the 5th gen 1LE model Camaro. I have not kept up with the 6th gen so don't know what they did there. Also don't know if they put them on Z06 vette??
    Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 PM
    R_W
    Burning Brakes
    Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Worth it, IMO.

I pulled the intake on my truck and vette, both 6.2L LS3s, when I was upgrading the filters. While I was there, I cracked open the throttle body and looked inside with a flashlight to see pools of oil. Had to use shop cloths on a stick to mop up all of the oil.
    Fast forward...
    Installed catch cans and check inside every now and then and have found no oil since.
    Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 AM
    Cygnus
    Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
    I have been wondering why no posts about this on the Corvette forum.
    There have been a few over the years. There was also a great post that was turned into a pdf complete with pics of the installation.
    The following 2 users liked this post by Cygnus:
    Elijah71 (01-03-2018), zaragoza (04-14-2020)
    Old 01-03-2018, 03:54 AM
    CadVette
    Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

A good size air compressor water seperator works also. Cheaper than a catch can and works just as good. I think the prices for the ones sold can be crazy for what it is. This is not a complicated product. I even saw one made out of a glass canning jar and some pipe.
    The following users liked this post:
    ART T (04-12-2020)
    Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 AM
    Elijah71
    Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_W
    Worth it, IMO.

I pulled the intake on my truck and vette, both 6.2L LS3s, when I was upgrading the filters. While I was there, I cracked open the throttle body and looked inside with a flashlight to see pools of oil. Had to use shop cloths on a stick to mop up all of the oil.
    Fast forward...
    Installed catch cans and check inside every now and then and have found no oil since.
    What brand did you go with?
    Old 01-03-2018, 06:58 AM
    Elijah71
    Burning Brakes

I'll update the main post with links to sites that sell these products but if anyone out there has installed them please post links to the products you recommend.

Thanks.
    Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 AM
    BlindSpot
    Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

Catch cans can be advantageous based on how you drive and your application. The more aggressively you push a 4xx HP high compression motor, the more crankcase blow by you'll have. This CC pressure needs to be scavanged and, per any modern emissions engine, consumed by it and not released to the atmosphere.

Pushing the 4xx HP engine to extreme HP/compression means severe CC pressures will build up. For example, SCed LS engines will not only build up extreme CC pressures, it will also vaporize a certain amount of oil with it. This happens even with stock HP LS engines only moderately pushed.

Here is a pic of the Mighty Mouse catch can (MM is the BEST CC) I set up on a 600HP SCed LS3. The catch can sits between the battery and the fuse box. It is a multiple port anti-siphoned system which is needed for boosted applications.

Suggest you move this Q over to Tech C6 section as you'll get some better technical information.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 AM
    Must_Have_Z
    Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Definitely yes. And I love Mighty Mouse!

The following 3 users liked this post by Must_Have_Z:
    11BtoPA (08-04-2020), 94sundevil (01-04-2018), anchito27 (06-22-2023)
    Old 01-03-2018, 11:04 AM
    windyC6
    Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
    A good size air compressor water seperator works also. Cheaper than a catch can and works just as good. I think the prices for the ones sold can be crazy for what it is. This is not a complicated product. I even saw one made out of a glass canning jar and some pipe.
    Glass containers underneath the hood of a performance car ??....interesting.....
    Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM
    hrt vlv
    Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Bought one never installed it. I didn't like how it mounted. Maybe if you have a blower or are tracking the car, but for normal spirits driving I don't see the benefit, I do not have a oil consumption problem, never have to add oil between oil changes. I could see potential problems with vacuum leaks. So no is my political position on a stock motor., Bill
    Old 01-03-2018, 02:17 PM
    R_W
    Burning Brakes
    Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijah71
    What brand did you go with?
    I have Elite Engineering cans on both my truck and the car.

Since I have a GS w/the "dry sump" (even though it is more like a damp sump... thanks, GM), I went with the dual can setup that they recommend for the ZR1. One can for the engine blow-by, one for the dry-sump pressure. I DO track the car, so the need for oil capture was there.

I used the Elite E2X for the truck and rigged up a mount using an existing L bracket I had lying around.

Last edited by R_W; 01-03-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Old 01-03-2018, 03:11 PM
    Ward Cleaver
    Southern Piedmont Area
    Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

"Oil catch can. Is it worth it?"

I'll give you a definitive answer in two simple steps...

1) I used to get a very noticeable burnt oil type of odor whenever I would accelerate hard (presumably from oil burning inside the hot intake manifold).

2) Installed an Elite Engineering oil catch can and now I never get any type of odor whenever I accelerate hard...not even a trace.

Regards,
    -Ward
    The following 3 users liked this post by Ward Cleaver:
    BigE428 (03-30-2021), joliett (04-14-2020), VintageBikesUSA (01-09-2018)
    Old 01-03-2018, 05:52 PM
    tw78911sc
    Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a Moroso can on a 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, it captured maybe 2 ounces a month DD. More with track days. I didn't want unspent oil dropping my octane rating
    Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 PM
    Not So Fast
    Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
    Catch cans can be advantageous based on how you drive and your application. The more aggressively you push a 4xx HP high compression motor, the more crankcase blow by you'll have. This CC pressure needs to be scavanged and, per any modern emissions engine, consumed by it and not released to the atmosphere.

Pushing the 4xx HP engine to extreme HP/compression means severe CC pressures will build up. For example, SCed LS engines will not only build up extreme CC pressures, it will also vaporize a certain amount of oil with it. This happens even with stock HP LS engines only moderately pushed.

Here is a pic of the Mighty Mouse catch can (MM is the BEST CC) I set up on a 600HP SCed LS3. The catch can sits between the battery and the fuse box. It is a multiple port anti-siphoned system which is needed for boosted applications.

Suggest you move this Q over to Tech C6 section as you'll get some better technical information.

And there you have it
    NSF
    Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM
    Ahrmike
    Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

30K mile manual GS (dry sump, hand built). Have two catch cans, one post valley cover and one between the intake and the oil sump (clean oil separator as per EE spec). Dont think ive caught anything noticeable in the separator but the CC between the valley cover and intake definitely has caught quite a bit. Probably about 1/2 a can per oil change or so. Nothing major to damage the engine, for sure, but apparently the oil will cause fuel octane to drop resulting in a timing retarding/power loss. for 150 or so, the CC was worth it.
    Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 AM
    A Marsh
    Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I like that I'm able to recycle the small amount of oil I catch with the can rather than have it get burnt into the atmosphere.

I've owned a couple of Elite Engineering catch cans. I think they're well-made, high-quality items.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil catch can. Is it worth it?

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM
    mikeCsix
    Melting Slicks
    Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Another vote for EE catch cans, well made product and great customer service.
    Old 01-04-2018, 05:09 PM
    mikeCsix
    Melting Slicks
    Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

I track the car too and have noticed more oil in the CC during normal driving than on track days. Well worth it.
    Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM
    ls1121
    Le Mans Master
    Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
    St. Jude Donor '14-'15

nope......

have a 1998 LS1 with 344,000 miles and have Never had an issue, no oil can on my cars.
    The following users liked this post:
    rc51racer (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Oil catch can. Is it worth it?