C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-Speed Owners - Second Gear Shifting Difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
Can you or someone else explain this a bit further.

I have the skip-shift bypass and 2nd gear is still clunky and the only gear that's not slick. 1 in 12-15 shifts requires a 2nd attempt and it's annoying.
If the shifter box is not perfectly lined up, it can make some gears hard to use. Adjusting this can resolve the issue in many cases.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If the shifter box is not perfectly lined up, it can make some gears hard to use. Adjusting this can resolve the issue in many cases.
Is this difficult to do? I'm not mechanically inclined and have limited tools but would love to improve the gear operation.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
Is this difficult to do? I'm not mechanically inclined and have limited tools but would love to improve the gear operation.
Not really, no. You're not installing a shifter, just adjusting one that's already installed, so it's just a matter of making adjustments. You will have to pull the center console, though, in order to get to it.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:45 PM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Go to your local auto supplies store. Buy a 10amp mini-blade "smart fuse" (the kind with a little LED in it). Take a knife or something and break the fuse link. Replace your Skip Shift fuse with the broken LED fuse and you're done. No CEL, not forced 1-4 shift.

The LED fuse provides just enough resistance to not throw a CEL. You will still see the 1-4 light but it does not lock you out.
Plan on trying this today, thanks.

Was going to just pull the fuse, but most people say it causes the CEL after a few starts. Unfortunately without a tuner, the reset will take 40 on/off cycles before it clears itself! If this is enough resistance to prevent the CEL and not have to mess around with resistors then I am game.

Edit: Is this a record? 10 year member badge and first post?!?

Last edited by PuckDracon; 01-06-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PuckDracon

Was going to just pull the fuse, but most people say it causes the CEL after a few starts. Unfortunately without a tuner, the reset will take 40 on/off cycles before it clears itself! If this is enough resistance to prevent the CEL and not have to mess around with resistors then I am game.

I'd like to try this too but what fuse is it and where is it located? What's the fuse name/called under it so I'm sure I'm pulling the correct fuse? I have the 1-4 skip shift jumper but it doesn't work all the time. Soooo, I'd like to try the fuse route.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM
mikecronis
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

On a side note, I usually get stuck going into 3rd when revs are fairly high. I changed the **** with a GM 8-ball-style GS **** and the problem went away, but then I got the "rattle" effect after about 2k miles. I tried electrical-taping the shaft (that's what she said) and it helped for 1 day only; rattle back. Tried stuffing the ball with cotton. Tried Teflon tape. Nope. Put the OEM shifter **** back on. Sigh.

Might go with the MGW.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecronis
On a side note, I usually get stuck going into 3rd when revs are fairly high. I changed the **** with a GM 8-ball-style GS **** and the problem went away, but then I got the "rattle" effect after about 2k miles. I tried electrical-taping the shaft (that's what she said) and it helped for 1 day only; rattle back. Tried stuffing the ball with cotton. Tried Teflon tape. Nope. Put the OEM shifter **** back on. Sigh.

Might go with the MGW.
So are you suggesting that changing the shifter **** cured your shifting woes ?.......

Last edited by windyC6; 01-07-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecronis

Might go with the MGW.
I don't know what your problem might be, and I used to have a problem with 2nd and 3rd gear and a rattle especially when I "got on it".

After some changes it shifts like it should IMHO. This is a 05 with a T56

I did this ... YMMV
  1. Ranger method ... most difference in clutch feel, which helps me shift better, but does nothing for the shifter in the car.
  2. C5 clutch spring ... again affects clutch feel a bit, which helped me shift better.
  3. Venom mod ... One ring helps the lighten notchy feel of a shift. (I think some use two)
  4. MGW Shifter ... fixed my problems and after a bit of break in near perfect for me. ... worked because the rubber bushings holding the shifter in place where gone as and the previous owner had turned the shift box bushings upside down, which caused the rattle.
  5. Re-adjustment ... Helped the MGW a lot after break in. (FYI, They have a adjustment tool that I did not use.)
  6. Added a white cue ball shifter because I wanted a old school look ... which seemed to help the shifting probably because I have used a cue ball shifter since the 70's ... lol
  7. CAGS eliminator ... doesn't do anything for shifting ... unless you go slow and hate that 2nd gear lockout feel.

Worst case maybe this will give you some trouble shooting ideas. None of these changes are very hard.

Last edited by Dutch08; 01-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

1) check your clutch fluid. I bet its black. Swap it out with new fluid via turkey baster method. It takes DOT 4.

2) Whens the last time you changed your transmission fluid? From what I am reading, Mobil 1 ATF, Redline ATF, and Amsoil are the most recommended. I am running M1 and I love it - swapping to RL next.

3) 1->2 shift for most cars are always hard because thats the most "beat on" gear. The 2nd gear synchros are "crunchy" for lack of a better term. What seems to help is to get the car warmed up (trans temp above 100F from my dashcommand monitoring), and the car will shift like butter.

4) Ive also noticed (not placebo, Im sure...) that if I drive HARD the day before, the transmission shifts so much better. I suspect it has something to do with splash oiling everything on high RPM shifts?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Lotsokids
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I made an appointment with a local tuning shop on Monday to get the 1-4 shift tuned out permanently.
I've been struggling with it recently. What a pain.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PuckDracon

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
I'd like to try this too but what fuse is it and where is it located? What's the fuse name/called under it so I'm sure I'm pulling the correct fuse? I have the 1-4 skip shift jumper but it doesn't work all the time. Soooo, I'd like to try the fuse route.
Here is a full detailed explanation and instructions on which fuse.
http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html
Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Photo from CorvetteMods website showing location of the fuse. It’s the one lit up with its own led light. It’s located under the hood on the passenger side engine compartment. Number 10 fuse if you look in the owners manual.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Also, if anyone is interested in tuning it out themselves, you can purchase a Diablo inTunes tuner and tune it out yourself through the tuners options.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:01 PM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Realized I never posted an update, but the glow fuse mod has been working for 5-6 days now with no CELs .

The 1-4 light still comes on of course, but it doesn't actually do anything so I can still shift into 2nd with it on... and more importantly it hasn't thrown any codes. Used a mini 10a "littelfuse" glow fuse that I manually popped by using a tiny electronics screwdriver and bending the fuse out from the bottom. No damage to the fuse, and didn't have to cut any plastic or anything. Put the original fuse in the spare slot just in case.

Of course I first made the common mistake of replacing fuse #8, which for some stupid reason is right next to "10", and the CAGs was still functional. Flipped it to see if it was due to the directional nature of the LED before I realized my mistake. The correct fuse, actual #10, is in spot 12 (lol?), as pictured above by TorchRedFred.

Thanks guys, this was annoying the heck out of me and I thought I would need an expensive tune to get rid of it .

Quick Reply: 6-Speed Owners - Second Gear Shifting Difficulty