C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to buy an 06 today, major fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:16 PM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tried to buy an 06 today, major fail

Got up bright and early this morning, drove 2 hours south to buy a clean 06 coupe only to find out the Chevy dealer had no interest whatsoever in taking my cash.

First the salesman couldn't bother to even introduce himself, but we did manage to ask about the 06. After looking around the lot, he simply decided he couldn't see it and therefor it must be gone.

So I asked several times if he could check and see if it had been sold. Finally he walked into the dealership and found that the car was across the street getting serviced.

He had no idea what was being serviced and didn't care. So after several times asking if he could bother to pick up the phone and call across the street, he finally sighed and made the call.

They told him that the car was being serviced (he had the phone on speaker) and he said thanks and hung up. He never bothered to ask why or how long it might take.

So at this point, I asked if there was anyone there that might want to sell a car this morning.

He looked around once again and said everyone was busy.

I've never in my life had a salesman (of any kind) be so uninterested in making a sale.

If someone had told me that it was possible to be ignored at a car dealership, I wouldn't have believed it.

So in the end, I stuck the cash back in my pocket and walked out. No one even bothered to say goodbye or thanks for stopping in.

Popular Reply

01-06-2018, 11:15 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,144 Posts

I had been looking for a C6 for at least a year in the color that I wanted. One finally showed up in an Internet search. It was more than I wanted to pay, but I watched it for 6 months as the price dropped by $7K. I decided to just show up at the dealership, which was about an hour's drive from home. When I got there, I didn't want to deal with the salesperson lottery, so I got this idea to ask the receptionist the following question. "If you were going to buy a car here, who would you want to sell it to you?" She looked at me, and said "I know exactly what you're talking about. Follow me." So she took me to someone who actually seemed to care about what I wanted, and was eager enough to strike an even better deal. He brought in a couple of other people during the visit, one of whom knew a lot about the car and it's options. I wasn't at all disappointed in how I was treated, or the outcome.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Sounds like you were in the Twilight Zone.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnus
Got up bright and early this morning, drove 2 hours south to buy a clean 06 coupe only to find out the Chevy dealer had no interest whatsoever in taking my cash.

First the salesman couldn't bother to even introduce himself, but we did manage to ask about the 06. After looking around the lot, he simply decided he couldn't see it and therefor it must be gone.

So I asked several times if he could check and see if it had been sold. Finally he walked into the dealership and found that the car was across the street getting serviced.

He had no idea what was being serviced and didn't care. So after several times asking if he could bother to pick up the phone and call across the street, he finally sighed and made the call.

They told him that the car was being serviced (he had the phone on speaker) and he said thanks and hung up. He never bothered to ask why or how long it might take.

So at this point, I asked if there was anyone there that might want to sell a car this morning.

I've never in my life had a salesman (of any kind) be so uninterested in making a sale.

If someone had told me that it was possible to be ignored at a car dealership, I wouldn't have believed it.

So in the end, I stuck the cash back in my pocket and walked out. No one even bothered to say goodbye or thanks for stopping in.
Lets get all the info out there. Dealer's name?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:30 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Had nearly the same experience while trying to buy a 2017 Silverado. Called the dealership that I've done business with for 15 years and left a message with the salesperson. When he called back, I was in a meeting and I called him back 3 times that same afternoon. No response. I ended up buying from a dealer out of state and got a better deal from them than I would have with the nearly local dealer. However, their service department is outstanding and takes care of my every need. Find a different dealer.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnus

As I preface to my comments, I have worked in sales for 20 years (not automobile).

I started searching for my Corvette about 18 months ago. The first part of my search simply was trying to determine exactly what I wanted...I didn't bother any dealerships or salespeople for about 6 months. As I decided what I wanted, I went to a couple of dealerships to test drive some candidates to verify that a C6 was indeed what I wanted. To make a long story short, here's what I found:

1. Of all the dealerships (5 or 6) that I told exactly what I was looking for and gave them my contact information....exactly zero ever followed up with me about potential cars over an 18 month period.
2. On 2 occasions, I was ready to buy, much like the OP, and wound up taking my money home because nobody seemed interested in selling a car that day. I was treated like I was invisible. If the place had been really busy, I might have given them a pass. I seemed to be bothering whomever I eventually dealt with.
3. On many occasions, after expressing interest in a car, was never given an option for a test drive.

I couldn't believe the levels of laziness and lack of motivation or hustle that I found. Conversely, most of the time, my internet dealings were much more positive. Calls were mostly returned promptly...questions answered...follow up calls received. It was amazing the difference. I'm afraid I would have fired 75% of the salespeople and most of the sales managers I ran across when I made an actual visit to a dealership.

Interesting car buying experience for sure. I'm glad I decided to wait and purchase from a private seller from this forum.

Last edited by hogfanandy; 01-06-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Probably best for you that you walked out. Imagine if you ever needed a repair from them on the car. Jeez..

Plenty of C6's out there, find another one.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:43 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:47 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Some people just aren't meant for sales. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Just my $.02, but car sales changed from a profession to just a job when dealers decided to pay a pittance and an unattainable production bonus instead of a fair straight commission. In general, employers get what they pay for.

I'm in no way blaming the OP, but buying through the internet is the way to go. Now of course it's not as easy with a used car but it would have been smoother than the method he used. Assuming they have a decent BDC, if he had contacted them first the car would have been clean, gassed up, and sitting at the front door for him to inspect and drive.

Last edited by 919cw313; 01-06-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

FWIW: In late 2013 I emailed a local dealer, Farnsworth Chevrolet, about buying a new Vette. They never returned my email.

A while later I called a local independent (used) Corvette dealer, Turner's, which has since changed owners. I told them what I was looking for, they said they didn't have anything close in stock but they would be on the hunt for me -- which they've had a good reputation for doing for as long as I can remember.

I have yet to hear from them.

In April 2014 I saw online that the first dealer, Farnsworth, took in a low-mileage '09, so I went in to look and test drive. I mentioned to the salesman about my email inquiry a few months before. He said "Oh yeah, we had to let the guy go that did internet sales." (The car was fine, but I had to sleep on the decision and by the time I called back the car was gone.)

Another month, and I found the one I have now at another dealer. The salesman (kid!) bent over backwards for me, and still stays in contact via email.

Go figure.

Last edited by Bruze; 01-06-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Two years, I went to Cosmo Motors in Hickory,NC. I knew they had a good amount of C5's and C6's. My friend and I started to look around outside first then inside. We spent a good amount of time looking around and not one single person came to us to see if we needed any help. They clearly saw us. Along came a few white folks and they were greeted with open arms and smiles. I was so disgusted and we left to never return. No wonder I didn't seen any "yellow" vettes while I was there. I had another similar experience with Everett Chevrolet of Hickory. I came inside the building to look at a red C6Z and not one person approach me. A few weeks pass and I found my garage queen on CarMax. That experience was a bad too. I paid to have my corvette shipped to CarMax in Hickory. On the day of arrival the salesperson told me that if I didn't buy it that day, it may not be there tomorrow. I was mad and came close to cussing him out. Did the paper work and rushed to my bank to get a loan before it and carmax closed. My first time driving a vette was when I drove mine home.
The following users liked this post:
amtronic1 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:42 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Now that pot is legal in many states., you can expect lazy sales people to be the new norm.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 01-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WW7:
Skid Row Joe (01-07-2018), VintageBikesUSA (01-09-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Now that pot is legal in many states., you can expect lazy sales people to be the new norm.......WW
Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I've experienced similar on a few occasions. It almost seems like he either wants to buy the car himself or has a buddy that wants it.

I wonder how these people keep their jobs.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,144 Posts

I had been looking for a C6 for at least a year in the color that I wanted. One finally showed up in an Internet search. It was more than I wanted to pay, but I watched it for 6 months as the price dropped by $7K. I decided to just show up at the dealership, which was about an hour's drive from home. When I got there, I didn't want to deal with the salesperson lottery, so I got this idea to ask the receptionist the following question. "If you were going to buy a car here, who would you want to sell it to you?" She looked at me, and said "I know exactly what you're talking about. Follow me." So she took me to someone who actually seemed to care about what I wanted, and was eager enough to strike an even better deal. He brought in a couple of other people during the visit, one of whom knew a lot about the car and it's options. I wasn't at all disappointed in how I was treated, or the outcome.
The following 6 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
airmed2 (01-07-2018), AORoads (01-07-2018), Bob Paris (01-07-2018), FortMorganAl (01-07-2018), RedHottGS (01-07-2018), Skid Row Joe (01-07-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like a Ford dealer I visited before except the salesman let me test drive it but he went with me so he can get coffee. We got back and he left.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:32 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The last 3 new cars I have purchased have been on the internet and I will continue to do that if possible. As mentioned though, not so easy to do with a used car that you want to inspect and drive before working a deal.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:49 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

So in the end, I stuck the cash back in my pocket and walked out. No one even bothered to say goodbye or thanks for stopping in.[/QUOTE]

Who was the dealership?

What are you looking for? The folks on here probably have the best leads to good cars than anyone could come across.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 01-07-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tried to buy an 06 today, major fail

Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
I like your approach and the question you asked. Filing that away for next time.
The following users liked this post:
Bob Paris (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 AM
Rice Boy
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_6
Two years, I went to Cosmo Motors in Hickory,NC. I knew they had a good amount of C5's and C6's. My friend and I started to look around outside first then inside. We spent a good amount of time looking around and not one single person came to us to see if we needed any help. They clearly saw us. Along came a few white folks and they were greeted with open arms and smiles. I was so disgusted and we left to never return. No wonder I didn't seen any "yellow" vettes while I was there. I had another similar experience with Everett Chevrolet of Hickory. I came inside the building to look at a red C6Z and not one person approach me. A few weeks pass and I found my garage queen on CarMax. That experience was a bad too. I paid to have my corvette shipped to CarMax in Hickory. On the day of arrival the salesperson told me that if I didn't buy it that day, it may not be there tomorrow. I was mad and came close to cussing him out. Did the paper work and rushed to my bank to get a loan before it and carmax closed. My first time driving a vette was when I drove mine home.
Hickory, eh? Well, that's where you went wrong. Hmoobville... haven't been there in over 15 years.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:32 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Car dealer is in business to sale cars and the attitude of the salesman you talked to is strange. Part of the salesman's pay check is based on the number of cars sold for the month so the run around you got is hard to understand. Maybe the salesman wanted the car for himself and was deflecting your interest? I think I would call the dealership and speak to the sales manager about how you were treated. I doubt the guy you met represents the dealer standard for customer service.

Quick Reply: Tried to buy an 06 today, major fail