C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick on Spoiler???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 PM
johny125
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Stick on Spoiler???

I have been looking for a rear deck spoiler and was wondering what your thoughts are for "stick on" (tape) spoilers. I am looking for the good, bad and ugly relating to their adhesion, durability, looks etc. Thanks in advance.

John
Old 01-07-2018, 09:31 PM
bokyo1987
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny125
I have been looking for a rear deck spoiler and was wondering what your thoughts are for "stick on" (tape) spoilers. I am looking for the good, bad and ugly relating to their adhesion, durability, looks etc. Thanks in advance.

John
The double-sided tape (sometimes provided) is extremely strong. I buy and use heavy duty 3m ones as I’ve had great success with them. Make sure you take your time positioning the spoiler as it can be a pain if you don’t get it right the first time. You can spray a little water so you can move it around before it dries and sticks. I’ve had two “stick-on” spoilers (different cars) and they have held up very well throughout the years.

The fit was perfect on one and almost perfect with the other. No complaints from my end given their generally low price. Looks-wise, a lot of it will depend on whoever you take it to for prep and paint. If looking to buy pre-painted, it’s hit or miss. The pre-painted one I had was pretty good thankfully.

For reference...

Last edited by bokyo1987; 01-07-2018 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny125 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by bokyo1987
The double-sided tape (sometimes provided) is extremely strong. I buy and use heavy duty 3m ones as I’ve had great success with them. Make sure you take your time positioning the spoiler as it can be a pain if you don’t get it right the first time. You can spray a little water so you can move it around before it dries and sticks. I’ve had two “stick-on” spoilers (different cars) and they have held up very well throughout the years.

The fit was perfect on one and almost perfect with the other. No complaints from my end given their generally low price. Looks-wise, a lot of it will depend on whoever you take it to for prep and paint. If looking to buy pre-painted, it’s hit or miss. The pre-painted one I had was pretty good thankfully.

For reference...
A bolt on will appear tighter than the tape, but the tape looks great and is durable. I have the pre painted tape on from E-bay. Do it when it is nice and warm in the garage, when every thing is more pliable.

Johnny125 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The factory installs the ZR1 spoilers with mount studs and nuts .... no tape is ever used at the factory

That's how I mounted mine.

Attachment 48331114

Attachment 48335520

Attachment 48333538

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 01-07-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Tape will work, take time to prep & install properly...
Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Tape will work, take time to prep & install properly...
I agree. Had the car up to 130MPH+ many times and it’s held. I am however changing mine out for an extended version. Let me know if you are interested in a used ZR1 tape on spoiler in perfect condition less than a year old. It is painted LMB but can be repainted easily.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Tape? I thought about it for maybe 10 seconds before I drilled the holes and installed my ZR1 spoiler properly.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

why not just drill?

if you ever remove the spoiler anyway the paint will be crap.

so its either you have 4 holes on the hatch or a strip of real crappy paint across the back.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
why not just drill?

if you ever remove the spoiler anyway the paint will be crap.

so its either you have 4 holes on the hatch or a strip of real crappy paint across the back.
I can understand drilling for a permanent install but

because some guys, me included do not want to drill permanent holes in the top of facia. Once the holes are drilled and want the spoiler removed you have to replace the entire rear facia, get prepped and painted. I just like to have the option later if I want it.

I installed the Ron Fellows spoiler on my C6 using the two outer studs and nuts underside and the 3M tape on the ends only. Been on over a year and tight and firm as ever.

If I want to remove it and install the factory short spoiler I can.

If you own a buffer with some compound and know how to use it you can bring the paint/clear right back. Even if you had to wet sand with 1500 grit then compound and buff it's no big deal. I've done it.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am thinking that the only reason someone would [not] want to drill holes and attach the ZR1 style rear spoiler properly is that they have plans on removing the ZR1 spoiler someday, and re-installing the smaller OEM spoiler.

In my case ... I have no plans on ever installing the small OEM spoiler on my GS again ... In fact, I don't even have it anymore. Might have got thrown in the trash a long time ago.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I had a spoiler on my C5 that used the 3M tape. never had an issue and for those that are worried about harming the paint if you remove it, it is no different then any other item held on with tape. Heat gum and fishing line along with the Goo Gone and you are all set.

I have a ZR1 style sitting in my garage that did not come with the outer mounting hard ware so I am thinking of mounting it withe the existing stock spoiler bolts and tape on the outer part.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I had a spoiler on my C5 that used the 3M tape. never had an issue and for those that are worried about harming the paint if you remove it, it is no different then any other item held on with tape. Heat gum and fishing line along with the Goo Gone and you are all set.

I have a ZR1 style sitting in my garage that did not come with the outer mounting hard ware so I am thinking of mounting it withe the existing stock spoiler bolts and tape on the outer part.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by J.Moore
I can understand drilling for a permanent install but

because some guys, me included do not want to drill permanent holes in the top of facia. Once the holes are drilled and want the spoiler removed you have to replace the entire rear facia, get prepped and painted. I just like to have the option later if I want it.

I installed the Ron Fellows spoiler on my C6 using the two outer studs and nuts underside and the 3M tape on the ends only. Been on over a year and tight and firm as ever.

If I want to remove it and install the factory short spoiler I can.

If you own a buffer with some compound and know how to use it you can bring the paint/clear right back. Even if you had to wet sand with 1500 grit then compound and buff it's no big deal. I've done it.

Tape gives you a chance to make up your mind or change the mod, holes are permanent.
Johnny125 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I am thinking that the only reason someone would [not] want to drill holes and attach the ZR1 style rear spoiler properly is that they have plans on removing the ZR1 spoiler someday, and re-installing the smaller OEM spoiler.

In my case ... I have no plans on ever installing the small OEM spoiler on my GS again ... In fact, I don't even have it anymore. Might have got thrown in the trash a long time ago.
I told the shop that did the paint & install of my ZR1 extended that I didn't want the stock spoiler back.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 AM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

if you garage your vette 24/7 maybe. otherwise i find it hard to believe that after exposure that the paint could revert right back to original status as if there was never a spoiler installed.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:13 AM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
if you garage your vette 24/7 maybe. otherwise i find it hard to believe that after exposure that the paint could revert right back to original status as if there was never a spoiler installed.
Sure you could. Actually you would be working on the clear coat, not the actual paint. Buffer and compound alone may do it. If you had to do more serious repair you use 1500, 2000 grit wet, water sandpaper to level the clear, correct scratches then buff carefully with compound WITHOUT going thru the clear coat.

I've buffed, corrected many a paint jobs in my time, BC/CC, enamel, lacquer and have brought many paint flaws, scratches back so you couldn't tell there was a problem.

Now paint correction won't repair deep cuts, scratches or gouges but will work on 90% of paint flaws.

I can understand your thinking and that's fine, I just like to have the option if I ever want to use it.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Tims94
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
I agree. Had the car up to 130MPH+ many times and it’s held. I am however changing mine out for an extended version. Let me know if you are interested in a used ZR1 tape on spoiler in perfect condition less than a year old. It is painted LMB but can be repainted easily.
I would be interested. I am rarely on this forum. My email is tims94@me.com
Randy_in_MD (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:15 PM
Jdrphs
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bokyo1987

For reference...
I would like to know what kind of side skirts those are, and love to see more pics. Did you do a splitter too? I have a blank slate black c6 and am starting with just the spoiler. I want ideas and yours looks great! Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Stick on Spoiler???

Quick Reply: Stick on Spoiler???