C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console Lid Latch Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM
custompainter99
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

subscribed...i need one also
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I put it in place today. One of the round sides needed some slight filing/sanding for it to fit. I believe this is more to do with some problems with the printed piece rather than the model. It is now fitting pretty well. I left the spring at my workplace so I'll need to grab it Monday and check it the fitment there as well. I'd also like to do a few more prints before I call it good.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Malfeitor
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out

https://www.protolabs.com/services/injection-molding/

I use them all the time for soft tool IM proto parts.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Pretty neat. I hadn't heard of them before. I'm sure a starting price of $1500 is good for getting an injection mold made but I have other avenues that would only cost me time and material. I would pursue those routes first.
The following users liked this post:
Norskie (12-10-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 02:08 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Just another update. I have the latch installed and working so here is a quick video. I believe the model is very accurate. I had to do some light filing of around one of the ends to fit through the hole on the console lid. I also I believe the hole that holds the spring could be a little further out. I believe both of these issues are related to the imperfections on the 3D printed part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUL0...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by PCMusicGuy; 01-21-2018 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PCMusicGuy:
Frankie15 (01-21-2018), owc6 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Malfeitor
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you like, PM me a STEP file of your model and I may have a window to machine some out of aluminum in mid March. Ill try, very busy. I have 2 horizontal pallet changers that can go through these quickly.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:04 PM
EJ2013GS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15

Right at that point I circled. The stock latch there is super thin and straight. That's where mine broke on both of the C6s that I've owned.

This model looks much better. It's a lot thicker.
I dropped my lid and the "pin" on one end of the "shaft" broke off. The lid doesn't bounce, but the broken pin rattles around inside the lid when I "corner with enthusiasm".
Old 03-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Any new updates on this?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

I printed out another revision of this part this past weekend. I mostly made a simple modification of the position of the hole so that it would hold the spring in a more correct orientation. My car is currently at the body shop and I will test it out when it comes home. Also, I would say that, assuming the newly printed one works like the old one, I can send the one currently in my car to whoever wants it. I guess it would be first come first serve. Would just need an address to ship it to.

Last edited by PCMusicGuy; 03-05-2018 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_Ed (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:52 PM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be interested in the extended version, mine hasn't latched since I had it recovered.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I printed out another revision of this part this past weekend. I mostly made a simple modification of the position of the hole so that it would hold the spring in a more correct orientation. My car is currently at the body shop and I will test it out when it comes home. Also, I would say that, assuming the newly printed one works like the old one, I can send the one currently in my car to whoever wants it. I guess it would be first come first serve. Would just need an address to ship it to.
I'll gladly take it.

Is there any chance that you would be offering these in black? The red would just stick out more than I would like.

Last edited by Frankie15; 03-05-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Lid latch

Originally Posted by owc6
Wow!

My lid hasn't latched in about 5 months. I'd love to see the progress. Gravity is working right now, but I'd like to replace the latch if not more expensive than gravity.

Is this going to be compatible with an '05 with a keyed lock? Probably not.

A girl can dream.
When I picked up my 2011 it had an after market leather lid. I soon noticed that gravity was holding it down.

I had some velcro sitting in the cupboard. Put a latch piece on the bottom area of console and the other piece on the lid. Has worked fine for the past year. Realize this was a temp fix and would like a real latch .

My wife always tell me to KEEP MY LID ON when I get cut off in traffic!

If she could I can see her putting Velcro over my mouth.

JB
Old 03-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Way to pay it forward.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I'll gladly take it.

Is there any chance that you would be offering these in black? The red would just stick out more than I would like.
I haven't changed the filament over at the makerspace I use. I try not to change too much stuff as the equipment is also used for a school. If I get opportunity in the future to print it in black, I can send that one to you. In the meantime, when I swap the new one in, if you PM your address, I will send you the red prototype. In the future, if I send you a black one, you just need to send the red one to another member that needs one.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZ_DSOM
I would be interested in the extended version, mine hasn't latched since I had it recovered.
Is it a padded lid from DSV? I have one laying around I could take some measurements with. In the meantime, could you estimate how much longer you think it would need to be to latch securely?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:33 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you plan to make the files public? My son has access to printers at work we could use. I believe they are printing Falcon 9 Heavy Rockets at the moment. lol.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:28 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

The file will be public soon. I wanted to test revision 2 of the model to see if the fitment of the spring was any better. I have the new part printed, but my car is at the body shop. So as soon as I get it back I will check it out and then make the file public. I will either put it on a place like thingaverse or host it somewhere myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Console Lid Latch Update

Old 03-10-2018, 01:45 PM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I would be interested in (2) black ones when these become available.
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:03 PM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it a padded lid from DSV? I have one laying around I could take some measurements with. In the meantime, could you estimate how much longer you think it would need to be to latch securely?
It appears to be between a 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch...almost the thickness of the lip the latch is supposed to catch on.

The pad is from another company on the forum.

Please let me know and I'd gladly pay for the part, shipping or both
Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Pegaso
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pic's for C6 2005

Many thanks to doomi and 72GACRZR for providing pictures and dimensions of the latch portion of the lid. The 3D model has been updated and last night I did a test print of it in ABS. The first picture is how it looks when finished printing while the next two are with the piece and supports separated. The printed part is on the left while the raft and support structure used during the print is on the right.

I will do some comparisons against my original broken latch in the next few days and then do some test fitting with the console and lid. I plan to make this model free once all the test fits and refinements have been completed. I am also thinking about making an original and one with an extended latch for those with aftermarket padded console lids. My latch always fit much tighter with the padded lid and that, along with the poor engineering of the latch itself, probably lead to an earlier demise.

The dream goal would be to invert the model once proven, create molds out of aluminum or steel on a CNC mill, then use the injection molding machine at my maker space to recreate the factory piece in ABS with the same mold lines. I will update this thread when I know more.
These are the pic's I have for C6 2005, hope they help. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Console Lid Latch Update