C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 too stiff - base shock replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:33 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Z51 too stiff - base shock replacement?

Hi all,

My Z51 has started to annoy me a bit with how stiff it is. Will replacing the Z51 shocks for base model shocks provide a more comfortable ride? Any issues/fitment problems with doing this?

Also, if this is a viable method to remediating my issue, are the Bilstein B6 the proper shock to replace them with?

Thanks much.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 PM
dadsbadhabit
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does your car still have the OE Goodyears on it?
The following users liked this post:
bobeyoung (01-15-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Originally Posted by dadsbadhabit
Does your car still have the OE Goodyears on it?
No, I got some BF goodrich A/S non-runflats, and it's still pretty stiff - tried this route first
Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

The regular (really, heavy duty - not the Sports, which are stiff)) Bilsteins will make it ride a LOT better, but it will never be truly cushy ... the springs are way too stiff for that. I would never pay the money for factory shocks (base or otherwise) ... too many good aftermarket shocks.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
The regular (really, heavy duty - not the Sports, which are stiff)) Bilsteins will make it ride a LOT better, but it will never be truly cushy ... the springs are way too stiff for that. I would never pay the money for factory shocks (base or otherwise) ... too many good aftermarket shocks.
Are the ones you're talking about the B6?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by crystallinity
Hi all,

My Z51 has started to annoy me a bit with how stiff it is. Will replacing the Z51 shocks for base model shocks provide a more comfortable ride? Any issues/fitment problems with doing this?

Also, if this is a viable method to remediating my issue, are the Bilstein B6 the proper shock to replace them with?

Thanks much.

Here is the glitch, or difference of it than a base model.

The transves front spring is stiffer.
The sway bars are stiffer,
The shocks are stiffer.

If you looking of the ride of a base car, then all of these will need to be changed back out to a base model items instead.

If are are going to take on such a task, then such parts will be easy to get, and just do a post that you want to swap such parts with someone that has a base car. Hell, if the person is local, may even get them to swap the parts between his car and your for free as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 AM
VintageBikesUSA
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in the same boat since my DD is a Z51 Vert that I drive around the streets of Nashville. The ride is just to stiff for everyday and I dont get to Auto Cross that often.

I will be replacing the factory shocks soon in hopes of softening the ride and "jar" I get when hitting a bump in the road. Aftermarket has come a long way but you can get base shocks for the car for a low price. It cant hurt the ride but we shall see.

I have replaced the factory tires but have lowered the car to the desired look. The rear is all the way down but the front is not and I am still on stock bolts. The roads are terrible in these parts so I am in hopes I can find a softer ride with a better quality shock without having to replace anything else. I really dont want the "base" ride but somewhere in between.

Last edited by VintageBikesUSA; 01-14-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by VintageBikesUSA
I am in the same boat since my DD is a Z51 Vert that I drive around the streets of Nashville. The ride is just to stiff for everyday and I dont get to Auto Cross that often.

I will be replacing the factory shocks soon in hopes of softening the ride and "jar" I get when hitting a bump in the road. Aftermarket has come a long way but you can get base shocks for the car for a low price. It cant hurt the ride but we shall see.

I have replaced the factory tires but have lowered the car to the desired look. The rear is all the way down but the front is not and I am still on stock bolts. The roads are terrible in these parts so I am in hopes I can find a softer ride with a better quality shock without having to replace anything else. I really dont want the "base" ride but somewhere in between.
Z51 is not made for those that want to cruise around town and look cool. Lowering the car took ride quality away also and it will not ride smoother with it lowered. Beside changing the shocks on a Z51 will not help. You will need the soft springs that come on a base model as wll as the roll bars.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I would suggest if the car is annoying you...your better off selling and buying something else.

Possibly a c7 with mag ride...or another brand of car.

I changed to bilsteins at 50k miles and noticed no change in ride.. or handling...and would suggest it was a waste of money. (The bilsteins recommended by tire rack for my car)

I don't think you ll get what you want...go test drive a c6 non z51 car and you ll see what you need to do..which is buy a different car..

Time for a new car.

I like the z51 ride and good handling but we are all different.

Shocks won't make the difference and changing the springs, shocks doesn't make sense..

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 AM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I will swap supsensions with you if you live in MA.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 PM
lawson1603
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

ill swap as well live in TN, ill even swap brakes to help out.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

ask "Gearhead Jim" who's now in C7 Gen. he knows!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by crystallinity
Hi all,

Thanks much.
I put Bilstein HD's on my 08 /Z51 which have been recommended from many members and I love the ride now.You do not have to change springs or anything else from the base..That is BS....Note: I'm still have RF's also
Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

What year, and how many miles on your car?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I put Bilstein HD's on my 08 /Z51 which have been recommended from many members and I love the ride now.You do not have to change springs or anything else from the base..That is BS....Note: I'm still have RF's also
So what/how did the Bilsten's change with the way your car rides?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:59 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

I would look at changing the shocks to the OEM Grand Sport shocks. They are softer riding and GS suspension specific but would have now issue with the Z-51 optioned cars.
The Z-51 and GS share the same spring rates, The GS and Z06 share the same sway bars (due to tire sizes) so going to GS shocks won't be too surprising handling wise, just make for a plusher ride.

I had an '08 Z-51 and thought it rode pretty hard. I sold it in '12 and picked up a GS and was amazed at the noticeable difference. The other reason is the OEM shocks are reasonably priced. I tried a set of DRM Bilsteins on the GS, though they were okay (rode rougher) I wasn't enamored with the quality of Bilstein. I sold those and went to the JOC suspension - shocks and sway bars. The ride is about what the '08 was, about as stiff as I will tolerate, but the cornering is amazing.

One caveat, I enjoy track days so handling is important and I moved the car to Arizona where the roads are MUCH better than Seattle and the Northwest. If I had to stay on rough roads, I would certainly entertain the idea of going back to OEM GS shocks.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Z51 is not made for those that want to cruise around town and look cool. Lowering the car took ride quality away also and it will not ride smoother with it lowered. Beside changing the shocks on a Z51 will not help. You will need the soft springs that come on a base model as wll as the roll bars.
That's what I was thinking. You will lose suspension travel also.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 too stiff - base shock replacement?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 PM
cam1969
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a set of base sway bars you can have if you are near western South Carolina.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
So what/how did the Bilstein's change with the way your car rides?
This road I used to drive every day was so rough that i could not drink my coffee,after the Belsten's switch over, i can now drink my coffee without spilling it, It's an all around better ride.Don't believe anyone that said shocks don't make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
cadyshac (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
This road I used to drive every day was so rough that i could not drink my coffee,after the Belsten's switch over, i can now drink my coffee without spilling it, It's an all around better ride.Don't believe anyone that said shocks don't make a difference.
Cool, thank you.

Quick Reply: Z51 too stiff - base shock replacement?