C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 AM
Jerry Rocha
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird starter issues

Hey guys, I have a 09 6speed manual c6 and have recently been having issues with the starter/ignition of the car. At first the car would appear to not want to turn on unless I used a battery jumper. My battery sucked so I replaced it. The problem went away for a while then it started to not want to turn on again. No crank or nothing. My local dealership said it was my starter so it was replaced. Around 1k to fix!!!! The problem went away for around 4 months or so and again same issues and the dealer said it was the starter that failed again but luckily I had warranty. Apparently there were some lose cables that touched the starter and created a short circuit. I checked later on myself and found no wires near the starter. In the following 4 month again same issues and again I replaced the starter.

Now it’s acting up again and I’m totally confused as what it could be. Has any one else have had issues like these or have suggestions as to what it could be? Battery is good and alternator is good too. The car is at 79k miles now and currently is on full bolt ons but I have the area around the headers covered with heat shields to avoid over heating. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Alonso Huerta (11-15-2019)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Do the guages sweep but no start? If so, could be a clutch-switch.
Landru (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

^ +1, could very well be that damned switch.
Easy enough to check, and disconcerting dealer didn't try tracing problem vs throwing parts at it.
Unfortunately quite typical, really.

In your shoes I'd take it right BACK to dealer & firmly ask they do their job right. It's what warranties *&* warrantied work is for.

G/L, keep us informed as to if/how this gets resolved.
Jerry Rocha (02-26-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 456 Likes on 230 Posts

I recently replaced my starter at the dealer for the second time. I paid full fair the first time and when the second time came around I checked my first invoice and noted that I was charged for a new started but was provided a rebuilt starter. When I questioned the service writer I was told no more new GM starters available and the dealers are using rebuilt starters, but they are warranting the part for life. So I had to pay labor but got the part for free. Considering that my original starter lasted seven years and the replacement only lasted eighteen months not that great.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Jerry Rocha
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikecronis
Do the guages sweep but no start? If so, could be a clutch-switch.
I press the clutch down and the brake then press the power button to turn on and no crank or nothing just a click sound then the gauges do sweep after the failed attempt. Everything electrical turns on after the ignition failure.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird starter issues

Quick Reply: Weird starter issues