C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drivers door acting funny

The other day my drivers door would not open. Eventually, it did, after multiple tries.

I noticed that the drivers window was not indexing properly. Here me out on this. The window was not going up once opened, but after about 5 minutes of driving, it properly indexes up and everything is fine. If I tried to open the door prior to indexing up, the drivers door does not open.

However, once it indexs up, it’s fine. I can then open the door.

I’m not sure if it’s connected but I just replaced my battery. I did the window index procedure afterwards.

Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

This procedure to reset the window indexing is in your C6 owner's manual.

With the engine running and the window down, close the car door. Raise the window and hold the up switch an extra 3 seconds. Release. Without lowering the window, hold the up switch again for 3 seconds. Release. Done. Don't forget the other window.

This will need to be done to both windows every time the car battery is disconnected, then reconnected.
Try doing it again, maybe you missed part of it.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 01-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM
usdmpwr07
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update. I tried resetting and doing the indexing procedure.

There is an audible clicking sound in the passenger footwell. The driver window keeps rolling up and down. Is a fuse bad?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by usdmpwr07
Update. I tried resetting and doing the indexing procedure.

There is an audible clicking sound in the passenger footwell. The driver window keeps rolling up and down. Is a fuse bad?
Oops! Someone else will have to help you with that problem. Have no idea what's causing it or how to fix it.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:14 PM
wzp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible the touch pads to open the doors are starting to fail. Same thing happened to my 2008. Eventually both windows and doors wouldn't open after windows indexed down. Luckily it was still under warranty. Dealer replaced both, no problems since. (remember emergency door open on the floor by the seat and in the rear)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:55 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Might be touch pad, easy fix and cheap. Could also be the driver’s door latch in the B-Pillar. Not a bad job to replace, less than an hour and a good tutorial on line. Got mine from a Corvette salvage yard in Bristol, PA for under $150 with cables and manual latch still attached.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 AM
DealmakerC6
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Weird Symptoms from touch pad failure

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Might be touch pad, easy fix and cheap. Could also be the driver’s door latch in the B-Pillar. Not a bad job to replace, less than an hour and a good tutorial on line. Got mine from a Corvette salvage yard in Bristol, PA for under $150 with cables and manual latch still attached.
On a 6 hour drive, my 2007 started indexing the window up and down, and repeating without any switch input. Very weird. Difficulty opening from outside the car, and intermittent failure from inside the car (all drivers side) I was going to clean and replace, but bought a new touch pad from local dealer for $18.00 or so. Fixed all door problems.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by DealmakerC6
On a 6 hour drive, my 2007 started indexing the window up and down, and repeating without any switch input. Very weird. Difficulty opening from outside the car, and intermittent failure from inside the car (all drivers side) I was going to clean and replace, but bought a new touch pad from local dealer for $18.00 or so. Fixed all door problems.
Like I said. Might be touch pad. Cheap and easy fix. In my case touch pads had been replaced by previous owner. Mine ended up being B-Pillar latch. My window wasn’t indexing without input. The door wasn’t responding to the touch pad or, intermittently, from the inside button for release.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
The touch pad is a very easy DIY. New ones are readily available on Amazon. But, you can easily fix your own.

Last edited by Sabre34; 01-16-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers door acting funny

Quick Reply: Drivers door acting funny