C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insulation for Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:47 PM
VMI-2002
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insulation for Long tube headers

I had Borla Long tube headers installed on my 2006 Z51 two days ago. It sounds lovely. My Mechanic is suggesting I get an insulation wrap for the headers as the heat could damage the wiring around the headers.
Is this really necessary? It is my daily driver with 142k miles on it. Is so which product should I use and should I have it done by a professional

Thanks!

Tom
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

No, it is not necessary to wrap the headers. In fact, it is usually not a good idea, as header wraps tend to trap moisture and increase the likelihood of headers corroding.
They make spark plug boots just for this very reason. For example: https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-53...9-l99-l92.aspx

The only other thing I would consider insulating in addition to the spark plug wire boots would be the starter motor and shielding it like this guy: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-shield.html

Last edited by R_W; 01-15-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I kind of agree with RW above but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I do like the wrap when done right but I think it works best on ceramic coated exhaust. YMMV

Exhaust wrap is not cheap and fairly difficult to install "correctly". Just to give you more info to think about, check this discussion and scroll down to post 10 where I linked a video:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...est-check.html
Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Call Borla because it might void the warranty if you have one because it can cause the stainless steel to crack due to the wrap causing to much heat....This information came from American Racing Headers.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Heres how it works

Wrap and coatings are great, they trap heat in the pipe which may improve performance but definitely decrease underhood temps.

I always recommend a coating first. Then wrap as "poor mans coating". You can even use both together sometimes. It depends how thick or durable the metal materials are. And this is the warning: If the material is thin, weak, cheap, or highly oxidizable (able to rust easily) then the wrap may accelerate deterioration.

Think about this. If you wrapped a stock cast manifold, that thing would never rust apart or fall apart. No matter how wet or oxidized it gets. they start out rusty as F@#(*$ and they stay rusty as F#@@# and live forever. A thin walled header tube can't do that so this is why you get comments like "wrap will ruin the header tube"- its completely true if the header tube material is thin, cheap, or easy to rust up.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:34 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

My 06 LS2 I have Kooks 1 3/4 and the tubes are farther away from everything including the starter then the stock manifolds and cats I did add some heat tape too the clutch line and brake lines that are on the drivers side and I put the vacuum line for the NPP in a woven heat shield tube on the pass. side. other then that I don't see the need.

Get notified of new replies

To Insulation for Long tube headers

Quick Reply: Insulation for Long tube headers