C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I live in Texas...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Low of 19 is cold...How cute.
There was a few days up here in NY where the HIGH was -2 lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:12 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Cold temp

hey, I'm currently at 17° in no. California.
if you're measuring via Celsius.

I have driven my '09 in temps down to 26° F, but that was up in the mountains ( with snow & ice on the roads ). car handled it fine.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:17 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

one of the dumbest things about the car is the ICE WARNING on the DIC.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Houston07Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgladish
hey, I'm currently at 17° in no. California.
if you're measuring via Celsius.

I have driven my '09 in temps down to 26° F, but that was up in the mountains ( with snow & ice on the roads ). car handled it fine.
Yeah it drove completely fine in 30. I usually book it through rain. I drove it the first day of Harvey to get to work but got worried after trekking some water and didn't risk working afterwards. When I touched the ice this morning though, back tires said "NOPE." So its best not to risk it.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:28 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default slippery when wet

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette
Yeah it drove completely fine in 30. I usually book it through rain. I drove it the first day of Harvey to get to work but got worried after trekking some water and didn't risk working afterwards. When I touched the ice this morning though, back tires said "NOPE." So its best not to risk it.

yea, the ride that day went fine, but as that was the first time I had
seen the DIC "ice" warning, for that 10 mile stretch, I was a bit puckered!

i hadn't planned on heading to the mountains that day. i headed north out from the san fran bay area, took I-5 and ended up in the mt, lassen park ( 315 miles later ). got back 7 hrs & 630 miles later.
i don't mind the rain, but on stock tires, no snow for me.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I drove mine to church a couple of weeks ago. It was 21 degrees. Did not push to go faster pedal, but in a gentle slow manner. The goofy DIC told me ICE POSSIBLE. Sunny, dry roads, but 21 degrees.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

We live just north of AUSTIN and have experienced this recent cold weather. Our cars are parked inside an attached garage with heated spaces above and to one side of the garage, so it never drops below about 45 degrees F inside. Based on your post, I’m guessing your C6 was outside when your CEL came on. I’ve never experienced cold weather tripping a CEL, but I really wouldn’t be surprised if it did. I could see where the cold air could affect an MAF sensor or O2 sensor perhaps. The P.O. of my current ‘12 Grand Sport had installed an aftermarket CAI which tripped lean codes until I returned it to stock. I could see a 40 or 50 degree drop in temp tripping a code perhaps. Just a thought. Maybe our cars down here are like us and just don’t like freezing temps! I know it’s warm here compared to some places, but who knows? Good luck and let us know what the code was if you’re able to track it down.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:41 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

With Houston gas formulation, it's possible you had some water condensation in the fuel line, it will often disappear on a restart.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

My vette loves the cold air flowing into my intake...Only problem the tires won't support it.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 AM
Fighta
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstan2014
We live just north of AUSTIN and have experienced this recent cold weather. Our cars are parked inside an attached garage with heated spaces above and to one side of the garage, so it never drops below about 45 degrees F inside. Based on your post, I’m guessing your C6 was outside when your CEL came on. I’ve never experienced cold weather tripping a CEL, but I really wouldn’t be surprised if it did. I could see where the cold air could affect an MAF sensor or O2 sensor perhaps. The P.O. of my current ‘12 Grand Sport had installed an aftermarket CAI which tripped lean codes until I returned it to stock. I could see a 40 or 50 degree drop in temp tripping a code perhaps. Just a thought. Maybe our cars down here are like us and just don’t like freezing temps! I know it’s warm here compared to some places, but who knows? Good luck and let us know what the code was if you’re able to track it down.
I live north of austin in cedar park :P and a couple of days ago i went to start my c6 that sits in the garage and it was knocking and scared the **** out of me so i turned it off. tried it again and it had a loud knocking noise but went away after about 1 minute of the motor running.. should i take it in? Its a 2008 c6 with 50k miles and oil change was done about 2 months ago. The gauge says 76% life with my oil.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have no cel but it is 28 degrees outside and now my tag is expired. Will cold weather cause this to happen? Nothing in the OM book either about why my tag expired must be cold weather. Any help with problem?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc

I have no cel but it is 28 degrees outside and now my tag is expired.

Will cold weather cause this to happen?

Nothing in the OM book either about why my tag expired must be cold weather. Any help with problem?
If it's 28 degrees outside ... I am not really sure if that would have that much effect on your license tag expiring, but I am no expert on stuff like this.

I think you should take your C6 to a Chevrolet dealership and have the service department check your tag just to make sure. If it was caused by the cold weather, they will know what to do.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I have no cel but it is 28 degrees outside and now my tag is expired. Will cold weather cause this to happen? Nothing in the OM book either about why my tag expired must be cold weather. Any help with problem?
Yes there is an easy and quick fix for your problem. Drive to the nearest highway patrol station and do a series of doughnuts and burnouts for about 20 minutes. Your problem will go away
Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette
I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.
I'm in the Dallas area, which is much colder than Houston, and never has my check engine light come on because of the cold.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,485 Likes on 770 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I was told by a Chevy mechanic some years back that the computers don't like to see rapid change, from most any sensor. What I suspect you may be seeing is that one day it was a much warmer temperature and then the next restart the outside temperature had dropped drastically, so the computer sees something it doesn't like, albeit the data was proper. I had a similar thing happen on a car years ago dropping out of the mountains of TN into AL. The drop was so quick, that the computer thought the air pressure and oxygen sensors had a problem. On the way into town, I stopped at a Chevy dealer and the service writer just laughed and told me they get about one a week stopping in with that problem, and explained it. Sure enough on the way home, the car did the same thing going back up into Chattanooga. Both times the errors cleared themselves and never returned.

The only sure fire way to check it is with an OBD reader.......if it is only one or two hits, most likely it will clear and not return. If you have loads of hits, then may be a sign of something awry.

Bear in mind (I am in Chicago) cold tends to bring out marginal problems in cars! I just had one of my cars last week see this. The temperature dipped sub-zero and my throttle body failed. The mechanic, who is a friend, said the same thing....the cold brings out the marginal failures usually...same with high heat!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

For Houston 19 is FN cold Torchy . Probably a record low.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Houston07Vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ben dover
With Houston gas formulation, it's possible you had some water condensation in the fuel line, it will often disappear on a restart.
I had solved the issue as a O2 sensor issue. My car hasn't been tuned, it tripped the check engine light before it went off. Likely the col weather helped to reveal the issue as the trans fluid temp came on at 23 degrees.

Get notified of new replies

To So I live in Texas...

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I believe you are beyond our help. Try trolls anonymous.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Houston07Vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gliot1
I was told by a Chevy mechanic some years back that the computers don't like to see rapid change, from most any sensor. What I suspect you may be seeing is that one day it was a much warmer temperature and then the next restart the outside temperature had dropped drastically, so the computer sees something it doesn't like, albeit the data was proper. I had a similar thing happen on a car years ago dropping out of the mountains of TN into AL. The drop was so quick, that the computer thought the air pressure and oxygen sensors had a problem. On the way into town, I stopped at a Chevy dealer and the service writer just laughed and told me they get about one a week stopping in with that problem, and explained it. Sure enough on the way home, the car did the same thing going back up into Chattanooga. Both times the errors cleared themselves and never returned.

The only sure fire way to check it is with an OBD reader.......if it is only one or two hits, most likely it will clear and not return. If you have loads of hits, then may be a sign of something awry.

Bear in mind (I am in Chicago) cold tends to bring out marginal problems in cars! I just had one of my cars last week see this. The temperature dipped sub-zero and my throttle body failed. The mechanic, who is a friend, said the same thing....the cold brings out the marginal failures usually...same with high heat!
Agreed, I think thats what tripped the O2 sensor, even though that light never came on before. It seemed to reveal an underlying problem. The temperature did go from around 70 to like 26 in nearly one sunset.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Ive been on this Forum a long time and every winter someone from down south will always give a weather report when some Northern member says how cold it is. Now its time for us frozen Northerners to help out our Chilly Southern Members. Things happen when its cold. Contacts that normally meet ...contract.. spark plug connectors , battery cables, any materials really. I use my car when the roads are clear so cold weather per-say shouldnt throw a code. But it will run down your battery much quicker when you are forced not to use it. In this case you need a battery tender. Your tire pressure will be down because of the cold. Spirited driving is out because of the grip capibilities of the tires are compromised by the cold. If your do get out your engine will seem more powerful because the cold air makes it so. But your tires wont like it so be careful. Dont fret.Im sure it will be back in the 80 s next week. Chin up April is coming...Oh wait ...thats for us Northern guys....

Clif

Quick Reply: So I live in Texas...