So I live in Texas... - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I live in Texas...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Houston07Vette

Default So I live in Texas...

Its really cold here (high of 26 low if 19)We have no idea what cold is in Houston. I think its like 30... Anyways, when I started up my 2007 A6, it took half a second longer then normal. Everything sounds and looks fine. Belt is spinning, no knocking that I can hear from the engine. Fluids heated up slowly, but all got to temperature in expected times. No overheating.

Now for whatever reason my check engine light is on. I had this car over a year and have yet to see the dreaded check engine light. Could this be a result of a random winter storm coming through, icing up our roads to undriveable standards, and freezing up a sensor? I did not drive it, simply started it, (trans temp was at 23 degrees) and let it run for 15 minutes to defrost windows, clear ice off of hood and do its cycle. I killed the engine and restarted the car... still shows the light. Thoughts?

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM
J3TVETTE
CF Senior Member

My recommendation is purchasing one of these just to have. Its a great tool
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette View Post

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.
Well then ... You are going to have to wait until it warms up and you can drive it somewhere to find out what codes are set.

We can't diagnose a check engine light here if that's all that you have ... could be anything.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Houston07Vette

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
Well then ... You are going to have to wait until it warms up and you can drive it somewhere to find out what codes are set.

We can't diagnose a check engine light here if that's all that you have ... could be anything.
I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

I can't see it being normal for cold weather operation ... There are some folks starting there C6s up north in much colder weather than you have there in South Texas.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
cadyshac
CF Senior Member

I saw a guy driving a C7 here yesterday, it was 10 degrees.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Flash_08CRMVert
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

At least yours started. Mine won't start. Tried to use my Stanley Jump starter, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize my fob now... Cold weather sucks.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM
itomh
CF Senior Member

Can't be just due to weather. I start mine up a couple times over this winter (Indiana) and we have been getting -10 and I have not been getting any check engine lights due to weather.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM
irok
CF Senior Member

I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.
the cold weather should not really set a check engine light.had to start mine a few years ago at -40F.no cel
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Houston07Vette

Originally Posted by CMY SIX View Post
did you even check the gas cap or anything, then you want to argue, sell the car by a VW you'll be happier, OMG the car took a half second longer to start. no wonder Obama won.
Lol so being concerned over the weather affecting my vehicle means I hate the car? Really hoping this is sarcasm. Love the Corvette, been relatively problem free for a while, I don't understand why people don't just give a yes, no or maybe on here to simple question. "Does cold weather create a check engine light for C6 Corvettes." It wasn't a question on rocket science, but a question for (what I'm assuming) a group of knowledgeable long-time Corvette owners could answer in like 5 seconds. Jesus lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Houston07Vette For This Useful Post:
ddame2 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Houston07Vette

Originally Posted by itomh View Post
Can't be just due to weather. I start mine up a couple times over this winter (Indiana) and we have been getting -10 and I have not been getting any check engine lights due to weather.
Okay, thank you this is pretty much the answer to the entire question. I appreciate you sir!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM
jkirk1
CF Senior Member

Its really cold here (high of 26 low if 19)We have no idea what cold is in Houston. I think its like 30... Anyways, when I started up my 2007 A6, it took half a second longer then normal. Everything sounds and looks fine. Belt is spinning, no knocking that I can hear from the engine. Fluids heated up slowly, but all got to temperature in expected times. No overheating.

Now for whatever reason my check engine light is on. I had this car over a year and have yet to see the dreaded check engine light. Could this be a result of a random winter storm coming through, icing up our roads to undriveable standards, and freezing up a sensor? I did not drive it, simply started it, (trans temp was at 23 degrees) and let it run for 15 minutes to defrost windows, clear ice off of hood and do its cycle. I killed the engine and restarted the car... still shows the light. Thoughts?

I'm no mechanic, but can assure you that I have started mine in very cold weather with no check engine light.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:16 PM
LowRyter
CF Senior Member

go to the Autoparts store and let them run the codes.

I drove mine last night in single digits, no problem.

BTW my CEL has been on for several weeks due to false EVAP code. I usually just discount the battery to clear it.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
orca1946
CF Senior Member

Can't be cold --- I drove mine in much colder conditions than that. Look further into the O B D
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
WKM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flash_08CRMVert View Post
At least yours started. Mine won't start. Tried to use my Stanley Jump starter, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize my fob now... Cold weather sucks.
There is a procedure in the OM for that
The Following User Says Thank You to WKM For This Useful Post:
Flash_08CRMVert (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Flash_08CRMVert
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by WKM View Post
There is a procedure in the OM for that
Yeah, about 5 minutes after my post I was able to get it started. Cold weather must've caused a brain freeze, because I totally forgot about the glove box fix.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Houston07Vette

Update:
Temperature is at 30 and ice is melting away. Took the car for a drive and the light went off before I could make it to O'reilly. SOL, cant check the old history of codes now. This guy leaving told me he could check it though as he has one that can look through the history of codes and pinpoint the problem. But since its off, he said if the car hasn't been tuned then its probably just the 02 sensors. They tripped when the weather dropped by over 40 degrees and the car sat for over a day.

Long story short, my headache is gone. I will get him to run codes tomorrow for me when I am off work, but that seems to be the problem since I don't think the light would of just turned itself off without me doing anything differently.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM
jrose7004
CF Senior Member

Sometimes you can shut it off and restart it and the light will be gone.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Torchsport
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-18

Low of 19 is cold...How cute.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:08 PM
C6KWJ
CF Senior Member

To answer your question no cold weather does not affect your check engine light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I live in Texas...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: