So I live in Texas... - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I live in Texas...

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 AM
  #1  
Houston07Vette
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default So I live in Texas...

Its really cold here (high of 26 low if 19)We have no idea what cold is in Houston. I think its like 30... Anyways, when I started up my 2007 A6, it took half a second longer then normal. Everything sounds and looks fine. Belt is spinning, no knocking that I can hear from the engine. Fluids heated up slowly, but all got to temperature in expected times. No overheating.

Now for whatever reason my check engine light is on. I had this car over a year and have yet to see the dreaded check engine light. Could this be a result of a random winter storm coming through, icing up our roads to undriveable standards, and freezing up a sensor? I did not drive it, simply started it, (trans temp was at 23 degrees) and let it run for 15 minutes to defrost windows, clear ice off of hood and do its cycle. I killed the engine and restarted the car... still shows the light. Thoughts?

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.
Houston07Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM
  #2  
J3TVETTE
CF Senior Member
 
J3TVETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,970
Thanked 349 Times in 262 Posts
Default

My recommendation is purchasing one of these just to have. Its a great tool
Amazon Amazon
J3TVETTE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
  #3  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,542
Thanked 421 Times in 332 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette View Post

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.
Well then ... You are going to have to wait until it warms up and you can drive it somewhere to find out what codes are set.

We can't diagnose a check engine light here if that's all that you have ... could be anything.
Turbo6TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM
  #4  
Houston07Vette
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
Well then ... You are going to have to wait until it warms up and you can drive it somewhere to find out what codes are set.

We can't diagnose a check engine light here if that's all that you have ... could be anything.
I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.
Houston07Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:40 PM
  #5  
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member
 
Turbo6TA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,542
Thanked 421 Times in 332 Posts
Default

I can't see it being normal for cold weather operation ... There are some folks starting there C6s up north in much colder weather than you have there in South Texas.
Turbo6TA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
  #6  
cadyshac
CF Senior Member
 
cadyshac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Covington KY
Posts: 419
Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

I saw a guy driving a C7 here yesterday, it was 10 degrees.
cadyshac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM
  #7  
Flash_08CRMVert
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Flash_08CRMVert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Kingwood TX
Posts: 103
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default

At least yours started. Mine won't start. Tried to use my Stanley Jump starter, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize my fob now... Cold weather sucks.
Flash_08CRMVert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM
  #8  
itomh
CF Senior Member
 
itomh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 477
Thanked 68 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Can't be just due to weather. I start mine up a couple times over this winter (Indiana) and we have been getting -10 and I have not been getting any check engine lights due to weather.
itomh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM
  #9  
irok
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: OSHAWA ONTARIO
Posts: 2,559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 196 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette View Post
I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.
the cold weather should not really set a check engine light.had to start mine a few years ago at -40F.no cel
irok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM
  #10  
Houston07Vette
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by CMY SIX View Post
did you even check the gas cap or anything, then you want to argue, sell the car by a VW you'll be happier, OMG the car took a half second longer to start. no wonder Obama won.
Lol so being concerned over the weather affecting my vehicle means I hate the car? Really hoping this is sarcasm. Love the Corvette, been relatively problem free for a while, I don't understand why people don't just give a yes, no or maybe on here to simple question. "Does cold weather create a check engine light for C6 Corvettes." It wasn't a question on rocket science, but a question for (what I'm assuming) a group of knowledgeable long-time Corvette owners could answer in like 5 seconds. Jesus lol.
Houston07Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Houston07Vette For This Useful Post:
ddame2 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM
  #11  
Houston07Vette
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by itomh View Post
Can't be just due to weather. I start mine up a couple times over this winter (Indiana) and we have been getting -10 and I have not been getting any check engine lights due to weather.
Okay, thank you this is pretty much the answer to the entire question. I appreciate you sir!
Houston07Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM
  #12  
jkirk1
CF Senior Member
 
jkirk1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Ross Ohio
Posts: 130
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette View Post
Its really cold here (high of 26 low if 19)We have no idea what cold is in Houston. I think its like 30... Anyways, when I started up my 2007 A6, it took half a second longer then normal. Everything sounds and looks fine. Belt is spinning, no knocking that I can hear from the engine. Fluids heated up slowly, but all got to temperature in expected times. No overheating.

Now for whatever reason my check engine light is on. I had this car over a year and have yet to see the dreaded check engine light. Could this be a result of a random winter storm coming through, icing up our roads to undriveable standards, and freezing up a sensor? I did not drive it, simply started it, (trans temp was at 23 degrees) and let it run for 15 minutes to defrost windows, clear ice off of hood and do its cycle. I killed the engine and restarted the car... still shows the light. Thoughts?

No I cannot take it to an auto parts store atm for a diagnosis, I refuse to drive in the conditions my street was left in.

I'm no mechanic, but can assure you that I have started mine in very cold weather with no check engine light.
jkirk1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:16 PM
  #13  
LowRyter
CF Senior Member
 
LowRyter's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Posts: 1,260
Thanked 119 Times in 101 Posts
Default

go to the Autoparts store and let them run the codes.

I drove mine last night in single digits, no problem.

BTW my CEL has been on for several weeks due to false EVAP code. I usually just discount the battery to clear it.
LowRyter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
  #14  
orca1946
CF Senior Member
 
orca1946's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Schaumburg IL
Posts: 3,714
Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Can't be cold --- I drove mine in much colder conditions than that. Look further into the O B D
orca1946 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
  #15  
WKM
CF Senior Member
 
WKM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Winterville North Carolina
Posts: 348
Thanked 74 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flash_08CRMVert View Post
At least yours started. Mine won't start. Tried to use my Stanley Jump starter, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize my fob now... Cold weather sucks.
There is a procedure in the OM for that
WKM is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WKM For This Useful Post:
Flash_08CRMVert (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM
  #16  
Flash_08CRMVert
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Flash_08CRMVert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Kingwood TX
Posts: 103
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default

Originally Posted by WKM View Post
There is a procedure in the OM for that
Yeah, about 5 minutes after my post I was able to get it started. Cold weather must've caused a brain freeze, because I totally forgot about the glove box fix.
Flash_08CRMVert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM
  #17  
Houston07Vette
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Update:
Temperature is at 30 and ice is melting away. Took the car for a drive and the light went off before I could make it to O'reilly. SOL, cant check the old history of codes now. This guy leaving told me he could check it though as he has one that can look through the history of codes and pinpoint the problem. But since its off, he said if the car hasn't been tuned then its probably just the 02 sensors. They tripped when the weather dropped by over 40 degrees and the car sat for over a day.

Long story short, my headache is gone. I will get him to run codes tomorrow for me when I am off work, but that seems to be the problem since I don't think the light would of just turned itself off without me doing anything differently.
Houston07Vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM
  #18  
jrose7004
CF Senior Member
 
jrose7004's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 55,621
Thanked 693 Times in 615 Posts
Default

Sometimes you can shut it off and restart it and the light will be gone.
jrose7004 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:03 PM
  #19  
Torchsport
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Torchsport's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Hell, Minnesota...for now
Posts: 11,719
Thanked 249 Times in 155 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-18
Default

Low of 19 is cold...How cute.
Torchsport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:08 PM
  #20  
C6KWJ
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Houston07Vette View Post
I am aware it can be anything. I do plan on diagnosing it professionally. My question is if its possible for the engine light to occur under cold weather conditions like this.
To answer your question no cold weather does not affect your check engine light.
C6KWJ is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I live in Texas...


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: