C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust tap for headers on exhaust pipe

Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Nelag
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Exhaust tap for headers on exhaust pipe

I am a first time poster.
I am a first time corvette owner. Car still at dealer. 2012 grand sport. I want to reduce the heat in the center console. I was thinking of dropping the ex. pipes and putting reflective insulation under the car and on the 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate that is just above the ex. pipes.
Would it be over kill to wrap the ex. pipes with header insulation tap while I have the pipes off?

Nelag
Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelag
I am a first time corvette owner. Car still at dealer. 2012 grand sport. I want to reduce the heat in the center console. I was thinking of dropping the ex. pipes and putting reflective insulation under the car and on the 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate that is just above the ex. pipes.
Would it be over kill to wrap the ex. pipes with header insulation tap while I have the pipes off?

Nelag
If you never owned a vette how do you know if the console gets hot??...I've driven many miles in my two C6's in the hot Texas temps and never payed attention to any console heat....The floor will get very hot for sure...Some guys add insulation under the carpet and also the underside....Do not wrap the exhaust tho.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Nelag
Pro

Ok.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Nelag
Elite Engineering sells an insulated chassis plate that replaces the OEM plate & provides additional insulation between the exhaust pipes & the passenger compartment. Several vendors also sell insulating pads that are installed under the console & carpeting. But as the other OP mentioned, drive the car first to see if heat is really bothersome to you.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,447 Likes on 754 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Geez...if you think a C6 tunnel is hot, you should drive a C3 or C2. Tunnel heat is the nature of the beast on Corvettes! I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it really bothers you, you can do what I did on my C3 (They get excessive heat from whole floorboard). You could buy the reflective hear barrier in the Vette catalogs, which is very expensive, or go over to Menards, or the like and pick up a roll of Reflectix and install it. It molds nicely, tape the seams with metal duct tape, and you will be pleased how much cooler the interior will be. The downside is you have to pretty much remove the interior, and that is good for about a day's work. C6s have great HVAC......turn it up! lol
Old 01-18-2018, 09:35 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

There are a lot of people who insulate the center console and other interior components to reduce noise and heat. If you do a search on "center console heat insulation" (or a variant of this), you find a lot of information in different threads.

Here is one but there are many others that do extensive insulation.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nsulation.html
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Nelag
Pro

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
If you never owned a vette how do you know if the console gets hot??...I've driven many miles in my two C6's in the hot Texas temps and never payed attention to any console heat....The floor will get very hot for sure...Some guys add insulation under the carpet and also the underside....Do not wrap the exhaust tho.
I guess I am guilty of reading and believing others on here about how hot the consol gets, and the floor. I have time now to address the problem instead of in the summer when I would rather be driving, ect.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

You will have to drop the exhaust to install this but I applied mine when doing headers, and it DOES WORK, plus it wont break the bank
NSF
https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,360 Likes on 902 Posts

I assure, you will NOT be able to fry an egg in the cupholder in any summer weather anywhere in the N hemisphere. By the same token, I wouldn't advise leaving a Hershey bar in the console in the summer....coming from someone who drove with 110*F ambient air temps.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,360 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
You will have to drop the exhaust to install this but I applied mine when doing headers, and it DOES WORK, plus it wont break the bank
NSF
Wow Bobby...you treed me...both in @ 7:33...haha....
Old 01-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Wow Bobby...you treed me...both in @ 7:33...haha....
Your my alternate universe other brother Steveo
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

hey Nelag, welcome to the C6 family!! you are going to love you C6...
Old 01-18-2018, 10:49 AM
cyclesailor955
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Console Heat

In addition to the Elite Insulated ABS Plate I heat wrapped the exhaust system from the cats back to where the exhaust goes over the rear axle.

Worth the Time,Money and Effort !
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray71
There are a lot of people who insulate the center console and other interior components to reduce noise and heat. If you do a search on "center console heat insulation" (or a variant of this), you find a lot of information in different threads.

Here is one but there are many others that do extensive insulation.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nsulation.html
When I installed a MGW shifter, I removed the entire console and installed the reflective material in the shifter area and under the entire console. This helped reduce both sound and heat.

Keep in mind, corvettes 2012 came with two addition catalytic converters at the mid pipe (below the console) which are contributing to the additional heat.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-18-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

DEI floor and tunnel shield helps. Catted or Catless headers helps as well. That said...if you sit in traffic everything will get heat soaked regardless but doing the interior helps.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

The tunnel and console certain get hot but only on long drives in very hot temps. You won't notice it during daily commutes or regular usage. It's more noticeable on long vacation type trips. That being said my car is 9 years old and it has not bothered me enough to want to do anything about it.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:52 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,127 Posts

NSF
This is the one I went for as well - haven't installed it yet, but I'm lining up projects to do for when the weather allows. Plus, you never know when you're going to need an un-melted Hershey Bar.

And, enjoy your GS - I've got an '11 and it's a thrill to drive.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 01-18-2018 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (01-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust tap for headers on exhaust pipe

Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Nelag
Pro

Originally Posted by cyclesailor955
In addition to the Elite Insulated ABS Plate I heat wrapped the exhaust system from the cats back to where the exhaust goes over the rear axle.

Worth the Time,Money and Effort !
Can I wrap the catalytic converters, like I would wrap the pipes with the same material? Or will that screw up the catalytic conveters?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Can I wrap the catalytic converters, like I would wrap the pipes with the same material? Or will that screw up the catalytic conveters?
Me thinks what with this question you are funning us or really new to the car world, one or the other.
But I'll play one more time, IMHO not a great idea to wrap the Cats OK
NSF
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Nelag
Pro

Me thinks what with this question you are funning us or really new to the car world, one or the other.
But I'll play one more time, IMHO not a great idea to wrap the Cats OK
NSF
Not messing with you all. Just learning. Last sports car I had was a 1976 911 Porsche and I sold that in 1982 or 83. All that ex. business was in back of me. lol.
Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust tap for headers on exhaust pipe