C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:50 AM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C6KWJ
I live in the Northeast awaiting for salt to leave but will take it out soon.

Hell I saw a red new Ferrari yesterday booting down the highway he didn’t care about the salty roads.... which is just nuts to me.

I love the stories of people taking car cover off to look at your ride. Just awesome to me and appreciate these cars. I have a car cover but didn’t put it on the car so I can at least look at the car when in the garage.
That new Ferrari is just some wealthy guys "transportation". Luckily I had to work my *** off to get to the point where I could afford a Vette. If I had one when I was younger I'd have killed myself.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:02 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,165 Posts

I haven't driven my Vette in over 6 weeks, been having fun in my Polaris Rzr though playing in and plowing the snow.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:42 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Winter Blues

Old 01-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I've lived in the NE, and hate winters there. For certain I would never do it again.

It was 4 degrees here in Dallas earlier this week when I headed off to work. It's 60 right now, with a high of 68 today. I've already had her out for an annual inspection and quick grocery run, and will be putting the top down and going for a drive after lunch. Love Texas in the winter; hate it in the summer. Still looking forward to moving to AZ soon.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 01-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

In WI sand's used on roads making this time of year the time most damage is caused due to sand, nevermind dust.
Forces me to be patient, wait for rains to clean everything up.

Life in upper Midwest is demanding during Winter.
But come Spring in the upper Midwest, has to be experienced, nothing like it anywhere. Lengthening days + warm southerlies, first drives are like a new car all over.
Worth the wait IMO, or at least something to really look forward to.

I've often bitched about WI weather, bride responds same way every time: 'population density'.
She's right.
If WI weather were 'good' year round things would quickly look like any other sunbelt urban setting. Great weather w/ pollution, clogged freeways, sky high property prices *and* taxes to match.
Thanks but no thanks, we stay here Winter & all.

There is an upside to this Winter business, though.
It's impossible to accumulate any miles, when parked.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:49 PM
shutout
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Had the Corvette out today. Earlier in the week it rained and washed the streets clean. 52 degrees out, almost like spring.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
In WI sand's used on roads making this time of year the time most damage is caused due to sand, nevermind dust.
Forces me to be patient, wait for rains to clean everything up.

Life in upper Midwest is demanding during Winter.
But come Spring in the upper Midwest, has to be experienced, nothing like it anywhere. Lengthening days + warm southerlies, first drives are like a new car all over.
Worth the wait IMO, or at least something to really look forward to.

I've often bitched about WI weather, bride responds same way every time: 'population density'.
She's right.
If WI weather were 'good' year round things would quickly look like any other sunbelt urban setting. Great weather w/ pollution, clogged freeways, sky high property prices *and* taxes to match.
Thanks but no thanks, we stay here Winter & all.

There is an upside to this Winter business, though.
It's impossible to accumulate any miles, when parked.
Agree 100%. It's something you have to experience to understand.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:22 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I've lived in the NE, and hate winters there. For certain I would never do it again.

It was 4 degrees here in Dallas earlier this week when I headed off to work. It's 60 right now, with a high of 68 today. I've already had her out for an annual inspection and quick grocery run, and will be putting the top down and going for a drive after lunch. Love Texas in the winter; hate it in the summer. Still looking forward to moving to AZ soon.
I lived in Dallas back in 80-84, still have friends there but I hardly recognize it.
Where in AZ you moving? I don't miss TX but if I had to move its probly the only other state I would move to.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
I lived in Dallas back in 80-84, still have friends there but I hardly recognize it.
Where in AZ you moving? I don't miss TX but if I had to move its probly the only other state I would move to.
I'll be moving to the Phoenix area, and I won't miss the TX humidity any more than I miss subzero weather.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'll be moving to the Phoenix area, and I won't miss the TX humidity any more than I miss subzero weather.
I hear ya on humidity. I'm north of town about 30 miles. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:49 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Yes, it's been so long now that I can't recall the actual date when I drove it last. I think sometime at the end of Nov, or 1st couple of days in Dec. Then the weather tanked. Today the temps soared to around 6C, and some of the roads are more or less dry. However, when I put it away, I also suspended road coverage which, surprisingly, the insurance company suggested when I called them up to add the vette into my policy. Fire / theft / etc are still all on it, but the rate dropped way down. The minimum duration for the suspension is 45 days, and I'm probably past that now, but you can't just reinstate it for a day or two.

However, I've lived in the area for 70+ years, and I know what winters here are like. Nothing unusual about this one so far.

In the meantime, I've bought a few items like a heat shield, removable license plate bracket, silicone hose kit, oil catch can, a Route 66 guide, joined and have been attending the Corvette Club of Ontario, so I'm making plans for what I'll do vette-wise when the weather allows. There's a bunch of cruises in the future. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Went to a car show this morning. I hope that everyone up north will be able to enjoy their cars soon!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:58 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I've backed it out of the garage and drove it up and down the driveway a few times. It looks good in the snow with the sun shining on it. But, our roads are too covered in salt and sand, so, I still have to wait to drive it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I haven’t driven my Corvette in over six weeks and I have the fever. The winter has been particularly cold with lots of snow. This is the longest I have gone without driving it in the five years I have owned it. It was so bad last week I went out in the garage just to sit in it and before you know it I had to start it up just to hear and feel the engine run, punch the buttons and play a road tune.
It’s going to get in the 50’s next week and rain a couple days to wash all the cinders and salt off the road and I will be ready to take it out for a spin... I can’t wait...a real addiction.
I'm here in Indiana. The thaw will be nice, but potholes here in Indy will literally swallow, chew and spit out my Z06 without a second thought. I will be patient and wait it out. I have mine sitting on 2X10's dry fitting front splitter and side skirts at the moment. Once I get them painted, off car, reinstall them and hope the 50's stay around long enough to give her a proper bath.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Drove mine 2 weeks ago but we had another snowfall. It’s gone but the salt isn’t.. With heavy rain expected Tuesday it should wash away the salty roads like last time and I should be out driving this weekend.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I drive mine, probably 350 days a year. If there is fresh snow of any serious amount on the road, or ice of any amount, it stays in the garage. Once the roads are basically cleared, I drive it.

I grew up in Western Pennsylvania back when we didn't have 'toys'. We drove what we had every day. And I never missed a day of work when driving sports and muscle cars in the '60s and '70s. Winter tires and knowing how to drive rear wheel drive cars was a necessary skill.

I was my own cars for the most part, but when it's 20 - 25 degrees and it needs a bath, I take mine to a great hand wash in Alsip, IL. For $22, it is washed, including the undercarriage, and the interior cleaned. 11 1/2 years and 130,000 miles later, it looks great yet.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by C6KWJ
... Hell I saw a red new Ferrari yesterday booting down the highway he didn’t care about the salty roads.... which is just nuts to me. ....
No, he probably didn't care about the salt on the roads because he knows how to wash that stuff off his car. The car won't be ruined when properly maintained. Actually, driving the car is better than parking it six months out of the year in many minds.

We all make our own choices on this issue. I'm a driver, and many of my friends around the Chicago area drive their Corvettes, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches (including one 918), and other cars of that callibre.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Blues

Old 01-22-2018, 05:28 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Winter driving

Originally Posted by USA1 427
I'd trade you if it were anywhere other than California.

like most places, it's what you make of it.
was born in ohio, but have been in California since 1971.
all in the SF bay area. If you listen to "noise" ( i.e. politics ) too much, then you can go a little batty.
but I've got to believe that it's the same everywhere.

regardless, other than rain, the weather here is never an issue.
unless you get into the mountains, no snow or ice to dealing with.
I'm less then hours drive to ocean, 2-1/2 hrs to Tahoe/reno.
I'm constantly looking for and finding new roads to scope out.
I would not be able to let my car, sit for more than a few days.
got it from my dad I guess. I regularly get in a sat or sun drive of
200 - 400 miles ( not combined, but one day ).

but, if people want to stay in the colder climes, it's better for me!
still, your always welcome in the bay area!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Last time our's was out of the garage was Nov. 11 for the Veteran's Day Parade. I have other garage hobbies to keep me busy and make the winter go by. I tinker on the `56 Chevy or detail the Corvette or I make lamps out of liquor bottles. Of course the liquor bottles must be empty first..........

The following users liked this post:
Bruze (01-22-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
CycloneBrad
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went and visited mine over the weekend, weather was great, but roads were caked with salt to I didn't take it out. Topped the battery off, unfortunately I can't keep it on a tender as my storage garage doesn't have power. We got some good rain yesterday so the streets are starting to look better.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Winter Blues