C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Winter Blues

I haven’t driven my Corvette in over six weeks and I have the fever. The winter has been particularly cold with lots of snow. This is the longest I have gone without driving it in the five years I have owned it. It was so bad last week I went out in the garage just to sit in it and before you know it I had to start it up just to hear and feel the engine run, punch the buttons and play a road tune.
It’s going to get in the 50’s next week and rain a couple days to wash all the cinders and salt off the road and I will be ready to take it out for a spin... I can’t wait...a real addiction.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

It's your car. If you want to drive it, drive it and have fun.
Mine is down for the count till the salt and cinders are off the roads and they're clean again. I couldn't stand knowing that the car was dirty and I couldn't wash it properly again because it's too cold. So the Stabil is in, and it's hooked up to the battery tender, and it's covered up. I'll wait.
The following users liked this post:
Topdown12 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, been 7 weeks for me. I hate it and all I do is look at mods for my car or look at other cars to buy.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Mine is down for the count till the salt and cinders are off the roads and they're clean again. I couldn't stand knowing that the car was dirty and I couldn't wash it properly again because it's too cold. So the Stabil is in, and it's hooked up to the battery tender, and it's covered up. I'll wait.
I'm with you.

I've been putting my summer toys up during the winter for 50 years now. It's just the way it is here; the southern peeps simply don't get it.

It isn't a big deal, especially when you're old. I love my C6, but my life doesn't revolve around it. We have a "summer lifestyle" and a "winter lifestyle," they're radically different, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

What amazes me is the amount of adults out there who don't understand it.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:14 PM
geno01
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts

Must be all feeling the same up North. Was down to my garage this afternoon and pulled the cover off just to look at it.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

It was a nice day yesterday, so lifted the cover and started it and listened to a song or two. Sunday I'll have time to take it for a ride! Now I'm occupied with my new 2018 F150 Lariat with all the bells and whistles! Just had the cap installed today! Cool!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:50 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

THIS is what I call Winter Blues!

Or just driving a blue car in winter.

Last edited by owc6; 01-19-2018 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jackhall99 (01-22-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:00 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I'm with you.

I've been putting my summer toys up during the winter for 50 years now. It's just the way it is here; the southern peeps simply don't get it.

It isn't a big deal, especially when you're old. I love my C6, but my life doesn't revolve around it. We have a "summer lifestyle" and a "winter lifestyle," they're radically different, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

What amazes me is the amount of adults out there who don't understand it.
A summer and winter lifestyle sounds great to me. I would trade my year round sunshine for your property in a heartbeat Bruze.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
A summer and winter lifestyle sounds great to me. I would trade my year round sunshine for your property in a heartbeat Bruze.
I'd trade you if it were anywhere other than California.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Thanks bud. Are you native to that area?

My roots go back here over 200 years. The only thing that could ever drive me out of here is NYS politics -- Cuomo keeps tightening the noose on gun ownership. It's tolerable so far, but . . .

I'd trade you if it were anywhere other than California.
Where in PA are you?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Thanks bud. Are you native to that area?

My roots go back here over 200 years. The only thing that could ever drive me out of here is NYS politics -- Cuomo keeps tightening the noose on gun ownership. It's tolerable so far, but . . .

Where in PA are you?
I was born in LA and lived in SoCal my entire life. I love it here and use it all. Surf every morning. Often snowboard on the same evening. 40 minutes to the beach and 45 minutes to the slopes. Close to the deserts (was a racer in my early days), Vegas, Colorado river and San Diego are all half a days drive away. I ignore the politics and have fun in an otherwise great place to live. But, something about your photos makes me think I would do just fine in a similar situation.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:58 PM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Took mine out for a ride today. Fun, fun, fun. 69 in Denver today.

Craig
Old 01-19-2018, 07:06 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Thanks bud.

Where in PA are you?
Southwest of Pittsburgh in a little shithole called Johnstown. Nothing here any more. No jobs, just crime and drugs. Can't sell a house here, can't even give them away. Sucks, but at 71, I'm not into moving anywhere. I just suck it up and wait for winter to pass. This one hasn't been too bad so far aside from the extreme cold we've been having.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:36 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

I was born in LA and lived in SoCal my entire life. I love it here and use it all. Surf every morning. Often snowboard on the same evening. 40 minutes to the beach and 45 minutes to the slopes. Close to the deserts (was a racer in my early days), Vegas, Colorado river and San Diego are all half a days drive away. I ignore the politics and have fun in an otherwise great place to live. But, something about your photos makes me think I would do just fine in a similar situation.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I am right there with you. Don't drive my Corvette in bad weather or when there is wet road salt and sand on the road that can get kicked up into every nook and cranny of the underbody. Got to tip my hat to those who drive all year around I just don't do it. With the snow and ice we have had this past week the Corvette stayed in the garage and I detailed the wheels and rims, exhaust tips and polished the 427 emblems on the hood. Best way I know to enjoy my Corvette with 9 inches of snow outside.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

It was mid 50s one day last weekend so I had the Vette out. Supposed to be 60 tomorrow and 65 Sunday but the roads are covered with salt and snow melt so it won't be out. It's supposed to rain late Sunday so maybe I will get it out next week. I drive it in the cold - had it out a couple of weeks ago when it was 16. Just have to take it easy on the RE050A's in the corners.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

USA 1 427, hang in there. You and I are about the same age and I also have a (2013 Anniversary Edition) as you have pictured. When I figure out how to post a pic I will put one up. I am in NC now and we have had unusual cold and just had a 9 in snow. Not the winter you have for sure. Suppose to be near 60 degrees this Sunday. I am looking forward to that. NC snow removal plan is to just give it a day or two to melt. Read your post above and you mentioned the salt and cinders on the road. Brought back some Pa. memories. Lived near Sunbury, Pa for 7 years and remember the cinders and coal furnaces. Great heat but clean up was a mess. I do miss the many great people I met there as well Gennesee Beer and good Polish sausage. The sun will shine again. Enjoy your great car.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 01-19-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Blues

Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I live in the Northeast awaiting for salt to leave but will take it out soon.

Hell I saw a red new Ferrari yesterday booting down the highway he didn’t care about the salty roads.... which is just nuts to me.

I love the stories of people taking car cover off to look at your ride. Just awesome to me and appreciate these cars. I have a car cover but didn’t put it on the car so I can at least look at the car when in the garage.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Southwest of Pittsburgh in a little shithole called Johnstown. Nothing here any more. No jobs, just crime and drugs. Can't sell a house here, can't even give them away. Sucks, but at 71, I'm not into moving anywhere. I just suck it up and wait for winter to pass. This one hasn't been too bad so far aside from the extreme cold we've been having.
Yeah, I know where Johnstown is. My dad was from Johnsonburg on route 219, north of you 50-75 miles. I still have cousins there.

A couple of lives ago I used to go to bluegrass festivals somewhere near Indiana, which is not far from you.

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
USA 1 427, hang in there. You and I are about the same age and I also have a (2013 Anniversary Edition) as you have pictured. When I figure out how to post a pic I will put one up. I am in NC now and we have had unusual cold and just had a 9 in snow. Not the winter you have for sure. Suppose to be near 60 degrees this Sunday. I am looking forward to that. NC snow removal plan is to just give it a day or two to melt. Read your post above and you mentioned the salt and cinders on the road. Brought back some Pa. memories. Lived near Sunbury, Pa for 7 years and remember the cinders and coal furnaces. Great heat but clean up was a mess. I do miss the many great people I met there as well Gennesee Beer and good Polish sausage. The sun will shine again. Enjoy your great car.
Hah! Genesee beer? That's made right near here in Rochester. I drank oceans of it (Cream Ale) when I was young, starting at 17. Used to get it for $1.06 a six-pack, tax included.

Name:  QqlHfuc.gif
Views: 255
Size:  802 Bytes
Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Quick Reply: Winter Blues