C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas Ethanol Treatment worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:01 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Ethanol is not a problem for a C6 fuel system so this product is not needed. Some people convert to e85 and don't change any components other than adding an alcohol sensor and tuning.
The following users liked this post:
Atomic6 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB

Unless you are storing over the winter, there is no need to “fight” the water problem. Even in winter storage, odds you will have a problem are quite low. The problem in storage situations is that once in a while due to screwups, some dissolved water can get into the gas. That can happen both with and without ethanol. The only added risk to ethanol is that if it happens, a bit more water will have dissolved, so the problem will be a bit worse. But as long as the water stays dissolved, there’s no problem even with ethanol. The reason winter storage comes into the picture is that the colder the gas gets, the less water will stay dissolved, so as the gas in your tank cools during storage, if you were unlucky enough to get a last tank of gas that had some dissolved water, that water can start dropping out of solution and form an actual water layer. Stabilizer will prevent that. But as long as the temperature isn’t getting colder as it does in winter storage, the problem will not happen even if you do have some dissolved water, so there is no need for any treatment.

As pointed out in various other posts, the other supposed ethanol problems are either outright myths, or are things that were once true, but due to changes in engine design, no longer are. For cars built since the early 1990’s, ethanol does not carry even the slightest risk on things like corrosion, lean/rich, octane, pulling timing, power loss, water problems from gas tank "breathing", or any of the other things mentioned by some on the forum. You will lose a little fuel economy, about 1 mile per gallon for 10% ethanol. But other than that, from a performance standpoint, it’s no sweat.

To add a bit of credibility to the above statements, I’m against ethanol too. But my objection is economic. It’s more expensive and does not deliver even one of its 3 claimed benefits, the reduction of pollution, greenhouse gas, or imports of foreign oil. Ironically, this boondoggle is one of the very few places where Republicans and Democrats cooperate, the Democrats because they falsely believe it reduces pollution and greenhouse gas, and the Republicans to buy votes from farm states and the billionaires who own the ethanol plants. But that said, from a performance standpoint, there is no consequential risk to using it, nor is there any need for using special additives.

Pretty much everything in the above post is incorrect.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver

Regards,
-Ward
There are some on the forum who believe ethanol is a serious performance problem even for today’s cars, and you’re apparently one of them. However, they either make sweeping, unsupported statements like yours, or their explanations don’t stand up to scrutiny like the spark plug pictures earlier in this thread. Sure, those plugs were from an engine with serious problems, but the explanation tying those plugs to ethanol didn’t make sense. If you’d like to post what you believe is true about ethanol, along with your basis for holding those beliefs, I’ll reply, and if you catch me in an error, I’ll admit it. But at this point, I’ll stand behind what I’ve said, backed up by a career of experience as a chemical engineer working for a major oil company, fully familiar with the technical aspects of fuels and lubes.
jackhall99 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Regards,
-Ward
Uh, no, it isn't. The only thing incorrect here is you.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 PM
tabing
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tabing
Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.
I'm going way back in the memory hole, but didn't the old British bikes have Lucas electrical systems? They were nothing but trouble. I never had a Brit bike, but guys I used to ride with did.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
I'm going way back in the memory hole, but didn't the old British bikes have Lucas electrical systems? They were nothing but trouble. I never had a Brit bike, but guys I used to ride with did.
Not only bikes but autos also And they were ****.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:21 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
Anyone use this product in their C6? Seems like it could only help. It certainly doesn't cost much at each fill-up. I used it in my C4 and just wondered if I should continue with my C6.
First off, how much ethanol are you talking about? If you are talking about the ubiquitous E10 "contains 10% max ethanol" stickers plastered on nearly every gas pump in the country, then no you don't need any "treatment". Every car sold in the US in the last 20+ years has been completely compatible with E10. Yes, it will drop your mileage about 3% but "pure gas" will cost you a lot more than 3% more if you can even find it in the right octane. We have plenty of 93 octane E10 around here and the engine is not going to pull any timing or overheat or do anything else bad while running it.

If you are talking about flex fuel E85 then our cars are not compatible with that, you should not be running it at all unless you have remapped the ECU. As noted else where, our cars don't come with a flex fuel ethanol content sensor or a wide band oxygen sensor.

Since other people have brought it up, the Lucas Oil people are not in any way associated with the old British Lucas Industries (i.e. Prince of Darkness). Why they choose such a reviled name is a mystery to me. However, I avoid nearly all "miracles in a bottle". They are mostly snake oil sold to prevent problems that don't actually exist and most of them have very little testing or science behind them. The one exception I make is the occasional use of Techron which I know has been extensively tested to do no harm and is widely rumored to prevent fuel level sensor failure.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 01-25-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
First off, how much ethanol are you talking about? If you are talking about the ubiquitous E10 "contains 10% max ethanol" stickers plastered on nearly every gas pump in the country, then no you don't need any "treatment". Every car sold in the US in the last 20+ years has been completely compatible with E10. Yes, it will drop your mileage about 3% but "pure gas" will cost you a lot more than 3% more if you can even find it in the right octane. We have plenty of 93 octane E10 around here and the engine is not going to pull any timing or overheat or do anything else bad while running it.

If you are talking about flex fuel E85 then our cars are not compatible with that, you should not be running it at all unless you have remapped the ECU. As noted else where, our cars don't come with a flex fuel ethanol content sensor or a wide band oxygen sensor.

Since other people have brought it up, the Lucas Oil people are not in any way associated with the old British Lucas Industries (i.e. Prince of Darkness). Why they choose such a reviled name is a mystery to me. However, I avoid nearly all "miracles in a bottle". They are mostly snake oil sold to prevent problems that don't actually exist and most of them have very little testing or science behind them. The one exception I make is the occasional use of Techron which I know has been extensively tested to do no harm and is widely rumored to prevent fuel level sensor failure.
I was going to ask that but never got to it. Thanks for the info.

I agree with everything else you said.
dr_gallup (01-26-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Uh, no, it isn't. The only thing incorrect here is you.

"Corvette Ed," grow up and comport yourself like a man and act like an adult...instead of an adolescent.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LDB

If you’d like to post what you believe is true about ethanol, along with your basis for holding those beliefs, I’ll reply, and if you catch me in an error, I’ll admit it.

No LDB...you won't.

I pointed out an error (not 'caught you' in an error) once before in another thread...not to insult you or castigate you in any way, but simply to contribute to the thread and maintain the accuracy of the information in the thread.

However, you seemed to take the correction as a personal affront, as if your ego was bruised, and you simply belittled and denied the information and facts I presented, and instead maintained that your position was the correct position...even though it was shown to you that it was not correct.

So no LDB, I have no presumption that you would ever admit you were in error...about anything...nor have I ever seen any incidence out here on the forum when you have ever admitted that any other information conveyed by anyone else is correct...unless that information agrees with what you have already pontificated as being correct.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 AM
LDB
Drifting

No LDB...you won't.

I pointed out an error (not 'caught you' in an error) once before in another thread...not to insult you or castigate you in any way, but simply to contribute to the thread and maintain the accuracy of the information in the thread.

However, you seemed to take the correction as a personal affront, as if your ego was bruised, and you simply belittled and denied the information and facts I presented, and instead maintained that your position was the correct position...even though it was shown to you that it was not correct.

So no LDB, I have no presumption that you would ever admit you were in error...about anything...nor have I ever seen any incidence out here on the forum when you have ever admitted that any other information conveyed by anyone else is correct...unless that information agrees with what you have already pontificated as being correct.

Regards,
-Ward
I remember a past debate with you about whether ethanol had detergent properties. If that’s the incident you are talking about, indeed I didn’t admit I was wrong because I don’t think I was. But I don’t remember any bruised egos or pontificating in that exchange. I usually don’t post unless I have relevant facts to back it up, so I haven’t had to take too many things back. But when an error is pointed out that I agree was an error, I do admit it, the most recent example involving use of aniline as an octane booster. I learned some new things in that exchange, namely that while aniline does have some problems, it is a second compound besides MMT that can give a significant octane boost with a small quantity of material.

As far as this thread, simply saying in post #22 that’s all wrong without saying what you think is right hardly qualifies as contributing to and maintaining accuracy of the thread. Back in the past ethanol/detergent exchange, while you did present a lot of information, it didn’t seem to me to be relevant to the question at hand, namely, engine cleanliness. If I remember your line of reasoning, it was that ethanol is a solvent, a solvent is somewhat analogous to a detergent, therefore ethanol must have some detergent properties which make it important to engine cleanliness. If I’ve mis-stated your line of reasoning I apologize in advance. My point, which I still believe is true, was that presence or absence of ethanol in gas is not a significant factor in engine cleanliness.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 AM
kingeak
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 39 Posts

I can just hear the "real TV" Ward Cleaver saying something like.....

"Now June, you'd better talk to these boys before I have to pull the car over."
Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

"Corvette Ed," grow up and comport yourself like a man and act like an adult...instead of an adolescent.

Regards,
-Ward

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-16-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic6
I've read this about it, Lucas Product is completely soluble in all ethanol fuels and will not harm filters. Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers contains effective additives to prevent rust and corrosion associated with the use of ethanol fuels. ...
40 weight motor oil will also be "completely soluble" and help prevent corrosion but I wouldn't want it in my gas tank.

What does your owner's manual say about additives? You might want to read up on a lot of other things GM thought was important enough to pay to have it included in a manual every car has when sold new.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I challenge that statement (that adding an additive will change the saturation point of E10, resulting in phase separation). Phase separation due to ethanol's saturation point can't be changed by a simple additive. Many make that claim, like Startron, claiming it has special "enzymes, etc." Never proven, have not heard of a single report in the marine area where it has worked as claimed.

Originally Posted by LDB
Stabilizer will prevent that. But as long as the temperature isn’t getting colder as it does in winter storage, the problem will not happen even if you do have some dissolved water, so there is no need for any treatment.tial risk to using it, nor is there any need for using special additives.

Last edited by Chiselchst; 02-16-2018 at 09:06 PM.
LDB (02-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Lucas Ethanol Treatment worth it?

Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 AM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
I challenge that statement (that adding an additive will change the saturation point of E10, resulting in phase separation). Phase separation due to ethanol's saturation point can't be changed by a simple additive. Many make that claim, like Startron, claiming it has special "enzymes, etc." Never proven, have not heard of a single report in the marine area where it has worked as claimed.
Ironically enough, in the same thread where Ward Cleaver incorrectly said I never admitted I was wrong, I’ll admit I was mostly wrong on your topic. In a technicality sense, I could protest that I was somewhat right in that various compounds can shift the point at which water will drop out. The classic that’s been around for decades is a bit of IPA in pure gas preventing icing and water dropout via the mechanism of the alcohol group holding on to the water and the isopropyl group holding on to the gas. Unfortunately that doesn’t work with large amounts of ethanol present because the ethanol overwhelms the small amount of IPA, and I had pointed that out in past threads. But there are compounds that will perform a similar function with ethanol present. K100 is an example, with a mix of ethers and amines to do the trick. None of those approaches (IPA in pure gas, K100 on ethanol gas, or any other that I know of) can prevent phase separation if a significant amount of liquid water is added (like a leaky storage tank), but they can shift the solubility enough to be useful for winter “cool down” separation, tank breathing, etc.

Now comes the embarrassing part. I admit that the above paragraph is mostly defensive for context on where I went wrong. My error was that I assumed without looking into it, that stabilizers advertising how well they worked with ethanol contained compounds like K100’s that did shift the water solubility. That’s where I was sadly mistaken. It only took a brief internet search to find any number of tests showing that most stabilizers do not shift the water solubility of gas with ethanol. So I’ve been making the incorrect statement that they did for some time. I’ll correct that in future threads on the topic, and thanks Chiselchst for making me look further into it.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:58 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

WOW !!!! Phase Separation. Now thats what i'm talkun about !!!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Thank you LDB; you are an excellent resource with a lot of information.

I've been "corrected" many times here, I was due to get lucky once. What's that saying; even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while...

The main thing is that we all learn with the exchange of information.

Originally Posted by LDB
Ironically enough, in the same thread where Ward Cleaver incorrectly said I never admitted I was wrong, I’ll admit I was mostly wrong on your topic. In a technicality sense, I could protest that I was somewhat right in that various compounds can shift the point at which water will drop out. The classic that’s been around for decades is a bit of IPA in pure gas preventing icing and water dropout via the mechanism of the alcohol group holding on to the water and the isopropyl group holding on to the gas. Unfortunately that doesn’t work with large amounts of ethanol present because the ethanol overwhelms the small amount of IPA, and I had pointed that out in past threads. But there are compounds that will perform a similar function with ethanol present. K100 is an example, with a mix of ethers and amines to do the trick. None of those approaches (IPA in pure gas, K100 on ethanol gas, or any other that I know of) can prevent phase separation if a significant amount of liquid water is added (like a leaky storage tank), but they can shift the solubility enough to be useful for winter “cool down” separation, tank breathing, etc.

Now comes the embarrassing part. I admit that the above paragraph is mostly defensive for context on where I went wrong. My error was that I assumed without looking into it, that stabilizers advertising how well they worked with ethanol contained compounds like K100’s that did shift the water solubility. That’s where I was sadly mistaken. It only took a brief internet search to find any number of tests showing that most stabilizers do not shift the water solubility of gas with ethanol. So I’ve been making the incorrect statement that they did for some time. I’ll correct that in future threads on the topic, and thanks Chiselchst for making me look further into it.

Quick Reply: Lucas Ethanol Treatment worth it?