C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 PM
tomray
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
You mean like this little gem?

"Do not try to remove a roof panel
while the vehicle is moving.
Trying to remove the roof panel
while the vehicle is moving could
cause an accident. The panel
could fall into the vehicle and
cause you to lose control, or it
could fly off and strike another
vehicle. You or others could be
injured. Remove the roof panel
only when the vehicle is parked."

Dewey, Suem, & How LLC
There has never been an IQ test for buying a Corvette, or even a Toaster, for that matter............

Yeah, I found that funny and a bit insulting, too.............

Tom
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogillio
Thanks, just downloaded it. I downloaded it once before on my iPad but it was a PITA to navigate on the iPad. I download it just now to my PC and was browsing.

I found this:

Notice: Driving with the parking brake on canoverheat the brake system and cause prematurewear or damage to brake system parts. Make surethat the parking brake is fully released and the brakewarning light is off before driving.

Wow, how come no one here told me this?! I was wondering my smoke kept coming out of my wheel...:-)
Dang, I didn't know that. I've had the same problem with premature brake failure.

I guess I should spend more time reading The Holy Owner's Tome.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SK '08
A hat is a very good idea if you're "thin" on top or not (like me ) because sunglasses alone on a sunny day with top off will NOT reduce all the light glare. I had bad headaches just wearing sunglasses. So taking top off requires a hat and sunglasses .
I've got a convertible of course, but I keep a kit in the side door pocket my Vette that includes sunglasses, a light tan baseball cap and high SPF sun screen.

In the WRX that I'm driving now, the same door pocket includes a wool cap, scarf, mittens and hand warmers.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Do it yourself, standing with door open. Becomes routine quickly.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Rogillio
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, it finally warmed up in Alabama and yesterday I removed the top for the first time. Piece o' cake! I had no idea it was so light! I had in my mind that it was going be very heavy and unwieldy but it is light as a feather and so easy to handle.

I would add that I LOVE driving with the top off. I am 6'3" and about 300 lbs and almost feel claustrophobic with the top on and the windows up. Top off and the windows down and that feeling is gone! Visibility seems better too. Been driving her to work with the top off and having a ball.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Took mine off for the first time a couple days ago. A little scary the first time because you don't know what to expect but it went rather well. Just have back hatch open first.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

OK, it finally warmed up in Alabama and yesterday I removed the top for the first time. Piece o' cake! I had no idea it was so light! I had in my mind that it was going be very heavy and unwieldy but it is light as a feather and so easy to handle.

I would add that I LOVE driving with the top off. I am 6'3" and about 300 lbs and almost feel claustrophobic with the top on and the windows up. Top off and the windows down and that feeling is gone! Visibility seems better too. Been driving her to work with the top off and having a ball.

Fantastic!!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Rogillio
Advanced

Originally Posted by the kid C6

(Women own Corvettes, too.)
Originally Posted by cgladish
i take it out in the evenings ( topless ).

Uh.......ok, never mind. It's too easy.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

What part of Alabama are you from or in?

If your just cruising around in nice weather its pretty cool with the top off. But at interstate speeds its too noisy.

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 05-03-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Do not do it in the garage. I have read too many posts where someone has hit their garage door or garage door opener in the process.
I came soooooo close to doing this! Scared the crap out of me.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Might have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention weight. Older tops weigh about 20 lbs. Newer tops weigh about 24 lb.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I came soooooo close to doing this! Scared the crap out of me.
When I remove my top, it never gets lifted above the car. I Lift the back a couple of inches and grab the front and tip it down into the interior of the car. Makes it much easier to handle. Better leverage holding it at waist height instead of shoulder high. On top of that, if something does slip or go wrong, the top is not going to hit paint. Or you garage door opener.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:37 PM
3rdlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Popped my C6 top for the first time this week. Wife helped that first time, once off then back on. The next day I did it myself just fine. I will not ask her to help again even if she is standing there as it is not required, and imagine the fight if she dropped it!. I chose to lift up and away and that seemed like the right way to do it but I will try the "tip inside the car" method others mentioned. I LOVE THE OPEN AIR EXPERIENCE. This top will be on and off as much as possible!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdlight
Popped my C6 top for the first time this week. Wife helped that first time, once off then back on. The next day I did it myself just fine. I will not ask her to help again even if she is standing there as it is not required, and imagine the fight if she dropped it!. I chose to lift up and away and that seemed like the right way to do it but I will try the "tip inside the car" method others mentioned. I LOVE THE OPEN AIR EXPERIENCE. This top will be on and off as much as possible!
When I had my C5 I always pulled up and out. Tipping it in just seems like it's asking to get a nick in the paint or a ripped piece of weatherstripping. I always lifted the front to get a grip, pulled forward to get my other hand on the back side, then pulled up and toward my body.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:44 PM
KevDude
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 66 Posts

I have mine off almost daily. I drive home everyday on the interstate at 80 mph, and don’t mind the noise. It is so nice. I take mine off and put it in the back from the side. Takes some stomach muscle, but it works. Haven’t dropped it yet.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:34 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
To me top removal is strictly a one man job.
Unless it is super windy.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's the method I use:
  1. Open rear hatch
  2. Get inside car
  3. Unlatch two front latxhes, leaving the latches in the open position.
  4. Unlatch the rear latch
  5. Pop the front of the roof panel up just enough to get it to release from windshield
  6. Get out of car
  7. Lift front of top and pivot up and let the rear of the roof panel rotate out and into the groove of the weather strip at the front of the B-pillar.
  8. Now slide the roof panel towards you, letting the back edge ride in the groove. When it's half way towards you, you can grab it at the rear edge, while still holding the front edge and lift away from car.
  9. Place in rear hatch. Front will clip into the two plastic receivers, then gently push down at the rear to lock the panel into place.

Installation is in reverse order.
  1. Remove roof panel from the rear hatch by lifting from the rear of the roof panel to release from rear retainers
  2. Carefully remove the rood panel from the rear hatch
  3. Hold the roof panel with the front edge up, and place the rear edge in the weather strip groove on the front of thr B-pillar.
  4. Slide it towards passenger side and when centered, rotate it slowly back down until the front is at the windshield. Ensure that the rear pins go into the sockets.
  5. Get into car
  6. Latch front latches
  7. Latch rear latch
  8. Don't forget to close rear hatch

Please let me know if any of this wasn't clear, or doesn't make sense.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing hardtop

Old 05-04-2018, 03:12 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Wow!! I simply stand outside of car,(pass. side) lift it off with left hand underneath, right hand on top front, lift up from windshield side. Put back on, left hand underneath,right hand on front, lower rear pins in first and lower it down.

Last edited by Don-Vette; 05-04-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Rogillio
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
What part of Alabama are you from or in?

If your just cruising around in nice weather its pretty cool with the top off. But at interstate speeds its too noisy.
Madison. See that you too are in Madison. What do you drive? I'll keep an eye out for you in and around Madison.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
I just push a button and my Vette does it for me. Just sayin'

You have a power hard top? I didn't know they made them.

Quick Reply: Removing hardtop