C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to get a corvette home?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:08 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Yeah, these "hit and run" posters are showing up more and more all over the forum. I think part of the problem is the pop up question box, it makes it way to easy to make a post without going through the entire registration process. I will say that he sounded much more sincere than most noobs on here, you can usually weed out the jackwagons pretty easily.

Not a hit and run, been on the road for the last 2 days..
Old 01-28-2018, 01:11 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Beautiful car! So, how do you like it?
Like it is an understatement.. I LOVE it and can't get the smile off my face...
Old 01-28-2018, 01:12 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by madsonp
Isn't it a little risky this time of year ? Couldn't you possibly get caught in a snow storm ?
Thankfully we had a warm weekend, but rain was in the forecast, which I just missed. Got her home late last night.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:15 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Get your Ins in hand, start driving. Your apprehension & concern will soon go away!
That's what I did, got insurance and drove it back.. Now to DMV to get it registered.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:17 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
Tell us what you did...drive it or get a transport hauler. At least say thank you!
I ended up driving it.. Looked into trailers, since I have access to a capable tow vehicle, but decided to drive it. I wasn't happy with the available selection of trailers to rent. Thanks..
Old 01-28-2018, 01:24 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PAULEB07
Where on the Island are you? Do you go to Cap tree on Sundays or belong to LICOA or any other Clubs?

Hey, I live in Dix Hills, Yeah, I've been there a couple of times but will be more of a regular with my new ride. I'm going to join LICOA, but waiting for the new membership year (Feb 1st. I think)
Old 01-28-2018, 01:29 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobLo
Another "Drive-it" fan here. I too live on the Island, did a road trip a few years ago, LI to Bowling Green KY. and back again. You can do the Blue Ridge if you have time or up 81 all the way, a nice easy ride. Or even work your way over to 95 and take that. I kinda like 81, last year I came home from Maggie Valley North Carolina towing my bike and took 81 all the way, easy driving, not a lot of traffic and kinda scenic. And the weather is looking O.K. for the next week or so. Good luck, look forward to seeing you down at the OBI!
Yeah I will defiantly be going to the OBI, when in the spring do they start meeting up?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JDC6Z
I think not..
Sorry..... ..Nice Vette!BTW: Did it come with a New York plate...Just asking in a good way.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 01-28-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

True, Cross Bronx Expwy. you will lose something on the car; Belt Pkwy. you may lose something. Glad you made it safely back home---you did have a good-weather weekend mostly. Don't forget to read up on the valve issue (potential) for Z's and the remedy (before is better, after is remedial).

Forgot to say: beautiful car, luv the mileage. Drive it in good health.

Last edited by AORoads; 01-28-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Forgot main reason for post.
The following users liked this post:
JDC6Z (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Hey, sorry you feel this way but I just got back from a 1300 mile road trip and plan on being part of this forum .
No worries, we have just had quite a few posters who disappear as quickly as they show up. Very cool car, enjoy it.
Welcome to the forum, consider it all part of the "hazing" ritual.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 01-29-2018 at 04:29 PM.
JDC6Z (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Yeah I will defiantly be going to the OBI, when in the spring do they start meeting up?
Glad to see you made it home O.K., good luck with your car, it's a beauty! There really is no stop-start time, if you get a good weather day there's usually some cars there. In the winter (IIRC before April) the cars and bikes usually go over to Captree to meet, rest rooms available and coffee or breakfast in the small restaurant there. Starting in (I think) April, they start charging at Captree so everyone moves down to the OBI, on warm weather weekends you gotta get there early or you might not get in, the place is really a blast. Just watch the cops, they're usually out on the summer weekends and they might hassle you if you don't have a front plate. Sometimes I take the car, sometimes I take the bike, I'll be looking for you. Also check out the Regional (Northeast) section of the forum, some good information about local events in there.
JDC6Z (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 AM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello. This weekend I am planning on taking a road trip from Long Island to Kentucky and hopefully, if everything checks out, buy a car. One of my main concerns is driving it back through the city and dealing with the rough roads, specifically potholes. Should I just get the car shipped back to the island and if so, does anyone know of any good car transporters, or do i have nothing to worry about and should I just drive it back?
just took my car to a shop in detroit about 500 miles away. Dont drive it, besides the people who cant drive in winter conditions, the highways were BAD!. Potholes galore, HUGe, WIDE, and DEEP.
rent a trailer if you can and haul it. I found a 8.5 x 20 for 75 bucks a day and it worked well.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Hey! What did I do?
Yours was the only possible response he might have read. That's all.

Thanks everyone for the advise, sorry I didn't reply earlier, as I had a lot on my plate and also thought that i would get emails whenever someone replied, sorry I am new here. ...
And THANK YOU for reading all the replies and posting pictures and replying to even the nastygrams. You will do well here with that attitude. Just remember this isn't like the other forums you will see. There are almost 500,000 active members of this forum. When you post something, if it is at all interesting, you are going to get lots of replies within an hour. If you've asked a question you need to come back quickly to see if the question was answered and we can stop giving alternatives or, especially, if we need more information. That's why, when someone comes in, posts a question, and doesn't come back for almost a week, we don't always react well.

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, and by the way, don't pay any attention to people like BLUEMENIE who can't be bothered reading all the posts before telling us what they think.
JDC6Z (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 AM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

And THANK YOU for reading all the replies and posting pictures and replying to even the nastygrams. You will do well here with that attitude. Just remember this isn't like the other forums you will see. There are almost 500,000 active members of this forum. When you post something, if it is at all interesting, you are going to get lots of replies within an hour. If you've asked a question you need to come back quickly to see if the question was answered and we can stop giving alternatives or, especially, if we need more information. That's why, when someone comes in, posts a question, and doesn't come back for almost a week, we don't always react well.

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, and by the way, don't pay any attention to people like BLUEMENIE who can't be bothered reading all the posts before telling us what they think.
Offered opinion for whats its worth, apparently not much by some. Oh well no skin off my back.
as for reading entire thread, sure. How about use your common sense mr keyboard warrior. Why go there asking for advice ? Good luck and best wishes.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Sorry..... ..Nice Vette!BTW: Did it come with a New York plate...Just asking in a good way.
No I actually took a plate off another car and just hoped I didn’t get pulled over.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

No I actually took a plate off another car and just hoped I didn’t get pulled over.
You'll fit in well here.
JDC6Z (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AORoads
True, Cross Bronx Expwy. you will lose something on the car; Belt Pkwy. you may lose something. Glad you made it safely back home---you did have a good-weather weekend mostly. Don't forget to read up on the valve issue (potential) for Z's and the remedy (before is better, after is remedial).

Forgot to say: beautiful car, luv the mileage. Drive it in good health.
Yeah I actually really lucked out with the weather and had a great time driving it up. Also yeah I’m aware of the value issue and will get it sorted shortly down the road.
AORoads (01-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to get a corvette home?

Old 01-29-2018, 01:55 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah I definitely learned from this. In the future I will definitely checked back sooner.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Olsarge
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I did the same thing. I have a '56 Chevy that's been in restoration for years. But, I keep it insured and the tag renewed because it's a personalized tag and I don't want to lose it. I live in Florida, but, bought my Vette in Georgia. I went to the Florida DHSMV and asked if I could get a temporary transport tag. I was told I would have to go to the Georgia DMV and get a tag. That could have taken days or at least hours. I insured the Vette and put the '56 tag on it and drove it home 468 miles. I had proof of insurance, the registration for the '56 tag and the signed title and bill-of-sale from the seller. I made it home with no issues.
JDC6Z (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 PM
JDC6Z
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobLo
Glad to see you made it home O.K., good luck with your car, it's a beauty! There really is no stop-start time, if you get a good weather day there's usually some cars there. In the winter (IIRC before April) the cars and bikes usually go over to Captree to meet, rest rooms available and coffee or breakfast in the small restaurant there. Starting in (I think) April, they start charging at Captree so everyone moves down to the OBI, on warm weather weekends you gotta get there early or you might not get in, the place is really a blast. Just watch the cops, they're usually out on the summer weekends and they might hassle you if you don't have a front plate. Sometimes I take the car, sometimes I take the bike, I'll be looking for you. Also check out the Regional (Northeast) section of the forum, some good information about local events in there.
Oh nice, I'll definitely checkout the northeast section, and look forward to meeting you at an OBI meet. Yeah unfortunately I'll end up having to get a front plate mount. I have see ones that fold under the bumper so I'll have to look into that.

Quick Reply: Best way to get a corvette home?