C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi beam update

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mophead
Website still showing 6/8 week backorder. Its been that way since the intro.

Anyone else find a suitable high beam H9 LED?
We are hiring additional production employees on a weekly basis at this point. We had yet another new production employee start today.

The 6-8 week production lead time is more of an estimation, as they are shipping much sooner than that, but we are working extremely hard to keep up with the demand.

We are extremely proud to manufacture the SL1 in-house here in St. Louis, just need to make more!!

Thank you,
Nick C.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
We are hiring additional production employees on a weekly basis at this point. We had yet another new production employee start today.

The 6-8 week production lead time is more of an estimation, as they are shipping much sooner than that, but we are working extremely hard to keep up with the demand.

We are extremely proud to manufacture the SL1 in-house here in St. Louis, just need to make more!!

Thank you,
Nick C.
I'm still following this thread with curiosity since the C6 has the poorest high beam illumination of any vehicle that I've ever owned since it redefines the term "candle power". Did you guys ever get a C6 to work with for optimization and to demonstrate the improvement and show some real world results?

This weekend I installed PIAA halogen bulbs in mine and it was a noticeable but not great improvement. I think that overall a projector headlight is a poor choice for high beam and why many manufacturers still use reflectors for high beam combined with a projector low beam.

I like the idea of being able to use the dust covers since I discovered that both of mine had fallen off when I changed the bulbs and explained why mine were starting to get dusty inside.

I'm interested in a real demonstrable improvement so would like to see some real data and a comparison before and after before I took the plunge. I'm also a bit skeptical since I feel that the whole headlight upgrade issue is like the wild west out there with many vehicles posing an outright danger and hazard to other motorists.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Icecap
I'm still following this thread with curiosity since the C6 has the poorest high beam illumination of any vehicle that I've ever owned since it redefines the term "candle power". Did you guys ever get a C6 to work with for optimization and to demonstrate the improvement and show some real world results?

This weekend I installed PIAA halogen bulbs in mine and it was a noticeable but not great improvement. I think that overall a projector headlight is a poor choice for high beam and why many manufacturers still use reflectors for high beam combined with a projector low beam.

I like the idea of being able to use the dust covers since I discovered that both of mine had fallen off when I changed the bulbs and explained why mine were starting to get dusty inside.

I'm interested in a real demonstrable improvement so would like to see some real data and a comparison before and after before I took the plunge. I'm also a bit skeptical since I feel that the whole headlight upgrade issue is like the wild west out there with many vehicles posing an outright danger and hazard to other motorists.
Improving lighting performance, hotspot lux, and maintaining a safe OEM Output pattern was the focus for our engineering team. The SL1s work well in both reflector and projector style housings (though they will perform best in reflector applications).

We have a long list of vehicles to bring in for vehicle testing, including a C6 Corvette, but it's a time-consuming venture as you can probably imagine!

Ideally, we will have real-world output comparisons for every single popular application. In general, the SL1s produce anywhere from 30-40% more hotspot lux than the OEM halogen bulbs they are replacing.

The SL1 is not some off-the-shelf, run of the mill imported product either. Just to reiterate and make that clear to everyone.

Thank you!
Nick C.
The following users liked this post:
Icecap (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Looks like a well-engineered product.

I like the ingenious design of the fan/duct allowing the OEM dust cap to be used on the C6.

Well done.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Looks like a well-engineered product.

I like the ingenious design of the fan/duct allowing the OEM dust cap to be used on the C6.

Well done.
It took 13 months, but we received a US-design patent for the SL1. It's the first step in protecting the 2+ years of work that our engineering team put into these designs.

Nick C.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

These guys have a 20% off sale for July 4 so I ordered a set of the Hi beams yesterday. Still calling for 6-8 week delivery so will update when I get them and also when I get them installed.

Guinea pig here.
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

These guys have a 20% off sale for July 4 so I ordered a set of the Hi beams yesterday. Still calling for 6-8 week delivery so will update when I get them and also when I get them installed.

Guinea pig here.
Placed my order. Thank you for the discount!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:12 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Placed my order as well, hopefully it won't take 6-8 weeks to get them.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default C6 High Beams

FYI If it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get them and they are manufacturing in house, They are probably coming from China.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
FYI If it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get them and they are manufacturing in house, They are probably coming from China.
And you don't have a clue, so why post drivel like this? I drove past their factory every day for quite a few years. Maybe you should check out a company's reputation before bad mouthing them.

I followed the development of the SL1 bulbs as they were originally designed for the halogen low beam housings for the current-gen F-150, which has abysmal light output on the road. I have a 2015 F150 with halogens and light output was about like my 1970 Torino with sealed beams.

Nick - I have a C6 that I might volunteer but I moved to Jefferson City after retiring a year ago. We would have to coordinate timing.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default C6 High Beams

Originally Posted by BadAV
And you don't have a clue, so why post drivel like this? I drove past their factory every day for quite a few years. Maybe you should check out a company's reputation before bad mouthing them.

I followed the development of the SL1 bulbs as they were originally designed for the halogen low beam housings for the current-gen F-150, which has abysmal light output on the road. I have a 2015 F150 with halogens and light output was about like my 1970 Torino with sealed beams.

Nick - I have a C6 that I might volunteer but I moved to Jefferson City after retiring a year ago. We would have to coordinate timing.
So explain the 6 to 8 week waiting period.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM
BadAV
Race Director

So explain the 6 to 8 week waiting period.
Pretty simple. They are, relatively speaking, a small manufacturer. They did lots of research and proveouts before ramping up a production line. New production lines have bugs to be worked out, new employees to be hired and trained. The pipeline needs to be filled with parts. I could go on. You obviously never worked in a manufacturing environment, especially in new product proveout and implementation.

Last edited by BadAV; 07-05-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default C6 High Beams

Who are you to tell me about myself ? I am not going to **** up a rope with you on this. Have a bitchin day.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:11 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Who are you to tell me about myself ? I am not going to **** up a rope with you on this. Have a bitchin day.
Diode Dynamics is a great company and they are designing and manufacturing their parts in the US. They are providing jobs for people here. We need a lot more companies like this. Why would you attempt to **** on their company when even a cursory amount of research would have told you what you needed to know?

I have absolutely no skin in this game but would love to see manufacturing make a big comeback in the US. It provided a good living for me for over 30 years. We gave away a lot of our sovereignty when we started outsourcing our manufacturing expertise in the name of this month's higher corporate profits. Yes, this issue is near and dear to my heart.

Last edited by BadAV; 07-05-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:16 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Placed my order. Thank you for the discount!
You're welcome! Thank you for your support!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by madsonp
Placed my order as well, hopefully it won't take 6-8 weeks to get them.
We appreciate your support! We proudly manufacture these right here in St. Louis, Missouri, and our production team is working hard to make sure each order ships as quickly as possible. Please feel free to reach out to our service team at contact@diodedynamics.com at any time for an update on the status of your order.

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Old 07-05-2018, 12:23 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default C6 High Beams

Originally Posted by BadAV
Diode Dynamics is a great company and they are designing and manufacturing their parts in the US. They are providing jobs for people here. We need a lot more companies like this. Why would you attempt to **** on their company when even a cursory amount of research would have told you what you needed to know?

I have absolutely no skin in this game but would love to see manufacturing make a big comeback in the US. It provided a good living for me for over 30 years. We gave away a lot of our sovernty when we started outsourcing our manufacturing expertise in the name of this month's higher corporate profits. Yes, this issue is near and dear to my heart.
First off I am not trying to **** on their company. If it is so near and dear to your heart then I apologize to you. Don't read things in to a text that are not there. Peace.

Last edited by 2008 Corvette; 07-05-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hi beam update

Old 07-05-2018, 03:44 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought their LED's for my fog lights and they are great. Hoping the Hi beams are just as great. Congrats on your patent and making them here. I've waited this long I'm sure it won't hurt to wait a little longer.
And thanks Nick for weighing in on the thread with timely advice.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:20 PM
BadAV
Race Director

I bought their LED's for my fog lights and they are great. Hoping the Hi beams are just as great. Congrats on your patent and making them here. I've waited this long I'm sure it won't hurt to wait a little longer.
The SL1 bulb reviews for the F150 have been pretty much universally great, for both low and high beams. The only less than satisfactory high beam review I can remember ended up being because the bulb was not properly seated when installed.

Last edited by BadAV; 07-05-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Thank you for the kind words, we very much appreciate your support! Nick is out of town for the moment, but I'll be sure to pass this along to him.

Sincerely,
Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

Quick Reply: Hi beam update