C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi beam update

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:48 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hi beam update

Haven't seen any threads on C6 hi beam LED in a while. Anyone have success with an LED replacement in the Hi Beam position?
I did some LED fog replacement from Diode Dynamics and they are great. They do not suggest a hi beam led though.
There are lots of cheap stuff on ebay and amazon that I'm really not interested in.
Currently have an HID setup from Corvette Mods but really never liked it. Too bluish.
I'm thinking something in the 5000K range.

Any thoughts? I do live where bright lights can be used.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Subscribed
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default C6 High Beams

I purchased A336 H9 12V/36W/3300LUMENS for my high beams. I believe I bought them from Superbrightleds. They work great however you cannot use the dust shield on the back like OEM because of the fan on the rear. Mike
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've thought about trying the Morimoto 2 stroke H11. Might have to trim a tab for proper fit?

Anyone an expert on H9 versus H11?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default C6 High Beams

Originally Posted by mophead
I've thought about trying the Morimoto 2 stroke H11. Might have to trim a tab for proper fit?

Anyone an expert on H9 versus H11?
H9 perfect fit. Think how often do you really use your High Beams.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:28 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

I have been using the LED bulbs from JW Motorsports for 3+ years now. Like most of the other LED solutions you can't use the factory dust boots due to the fan. They are brighter, but the factory optics are so poor that honestly, it doesn't matter that much. If you are looking for better light, I am not sure you can really do much given the basic design of the high beam projector. If you are just looking for different color light, there are lots of choices ...
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

As others have stated, the high-beams on the C6 are indeed an H9 bulb size. The main issue with using an HID setup in the high beam housing is that you won't be able to flash your high-beams when needed since they have a warm up time.

After over two long years of engineering development, extensive testing, and production tooling, we've finally released our new SL1 LED headlight replacements. They are manufactured here in St. Louis, Missouri (100% USA made!), and will do an excellent job utilizing the factory headlight's optics to maintain a safe, OEM output pattern while producing a solid increase in usable output down the road.

Our engineering team utilized advanced optical modeling software to aid in the design of the SL1.

Diode Dynamics: H9 SL1 LED Headlight for Chevrolet Corvette C6 High Beams

The SL1 is also a low-profile design, which will fit inside the factory dust cap cover without any modifications required.

Did I mention it's 100% USA Made?

We are still looking for a C6 to bring into our studio here in St. Louis for comparison photos and installation videos.

Thanks!
Nick C.
The following users liked this post:
dr_gallup (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Bookmarked.

Post # 7. Direct fit, utilized OEM parts, might be a good replacement.

Questions:
Yet, flash to pass, flick to Hi from low is lost (nature of Led)?
Warranty, made in USA, how long?

Yes, C6 could use a deeper wider hi beam.
A match of color and brightness to OEM lo beam could be desired.
Low beam with fogs works fairly well IMO.

End of comments....book marked.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:40 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

I just noticed they weren't listed by application for the C6 Corvette high-beam, so I made a note of that for our team to create the listing as well.

They will operate in the same manner as your current halogen hi-beams. If the low-beam shuts off when the high-beam is engaged, that won't change with the SL1. They will come on instantly when flashed.

Diode Dynamics products are backed by a 3-year limited warranty.

The SL1 will produce an output pattern identical to the OEM halogen bulb, with more hotspot lux (meaning more light further down the road). For a visual representation, here's an example from our in-house photometric testing with a 2015+ F-150 reflector style headlight:

This is NOT photoshop

This is important because it won't create additional glare like other market options, which makes it safe for on-road use.

Nick C.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default high beams

Originally Posted by mophead
Haven't seen any threads on C6 hi beam LED in a while. Anyone have success with an LED replacement in the Hi Beam position?
I did some LED fog replacement from Diode Dynamics and they are great. They do not suggest a hi beam led though.
There are lots of cheap stuff on ebay and amazon that I'm really not interested in.
Currently have an HID setup from Corvette Mods but really never liked it. Too bluish.
I'm thinking something in the 5000K range.

Any thoughts? I do live where bright lights can be used.

I haven't tried changing the high beams, but I did try changing the DRL/turn signal with an LED. I changed only at first, but it did not work properly. as a signal it would flash extremely fast.
I read some where that the low amp draw on the LED confuses the computer, into thinking the bulb is not working.
not an electrical expert though.
I went back to a stock bulb and a year later, still working fine.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cgladish
I haven't tried changing the high beams, but I did try changing the DRL/turn signal with an LED. I changed only at first, but it did not work properly. as a signal it would flash extremely fast.
I read some where that the low amp draw on the LED confuses the computer, into thinking the bulb is not working.
Yes, you need a load equalizer to make these flash correctly.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Mojo 97 Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
Subscribed
Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
As others have stated, the high-beams on the C6 are indeed an H9 bulb size. The main issue with using an HID setup in the high beam housing is that you won't be able to flash your high-beams when needed since they have a warm up time.

After over two long years of engineering development, extensive testing, and production tooling, we've finally released our new SL1 LED headlight replacements. They are manufactured here in St. Louis, Missouri (100% USA made!), and will do an excellent job utilizing the factory headlight's optics to maintain a safe, OEM output pattern while producing a solid increase in usable output down the road.

Our engineering team utilized advanced optical modeling software to aid in the design of the SL1.

The SL1 is also a low-profile design, which will fit inside the factory dust cap cover without any modifications required.

We are still looking for a C6 to bring into our studio here in St. Louis for comparison photos and installation videos.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:18 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default H9 led

As I previously said the A336 from Superbright LEDS is a exact fit. There is NO warm up for flash to pass as the company on here says. About half the cost of theirs and work great. If you use the dust cover on their product where does the heat go ? As far as the DRL guys question look into Radioflyerinnovations for all of your DRL issues.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
As I previously said the A336 from Superbright LEDS is a exact fit. There is NO warm up for flash to pass as the company on here says. About half the cost of theirs and work great. If you use the dust cover on their product where does the heat go ? As far as the DRL guys question look into Radioflyerinnovations for all of your DRL issues.
I don't think heat is an issue, the stock halogens run a heck of a lot hotter and they use the dust cover with no issues..
Old 01-26-2018, 10:21 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cgladish
That's completely normal and should be expected when switching to LED for turn signal locations. Adding a set of resistors to the circuit will prevent that hyperflash from occurring.

Here's a video demonstrating the typical installation procedure:

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics

Thanks!
Nick C.
Do these plug into the factory connector ?

Get notified of new replies

To Hi beam update

Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Default C6 High Beams

I don't think heat is an issue, the stock halogens run a heck of a lot hotter and they use the dust cover with no issues..
That is common knowledge.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:10 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
That is common knowledge.
Then why are you worried about the heat ?

Last edited by madsonp; 01-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:48 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Do these plug into the factory connector ?
Yep! Direct replacement for the OEM halogen bulbs. They use an OEM-grade, tooled connector.

Thanks,
Nick C.

Quick Reply: Hi beam update