C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barrett-Jackson circus

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I was amazed at the $300K+ market on C-1 and C-2 restomods. Great looking cars but I would be afraid to actually drive on on public streets.
Which were utterly ruined by the terrible wheels they put on each of those.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:56 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
Check out Mecum if you can't get to BJ. Had a great experience there without all of the unnecessary 'stuff' that goes on at BJ.
I will be attending their Kansas City auction this year.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

To me, B/J is too much hype, smoke and mirrors. With Steve Davis and his sunglasses, to the "chassis cam". They show a restored car with little or no miles underneath. What do they expect to see...mud? And why is there always 300 people on the "block"? Plus, the commentators (thats another story) will say "the block" thousands of time. I mute the volume so I don't have to listen to the comments, personal opinions, and such. Mecum to me is a much better auction, but the commentators suck there too for the most part.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:17 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

YUP....been saying for years that B/J is the worst thing to happen to the "Common" car lover that maybe wants to have a couple a Hot Rods in their garage. With the filthy rich bidding way over market price then it's only gonna drive the prices up more and more. Use to think that I may one day be able to get a nice average late 60's to 70 (no later) muscle car for hopefully under 50-K. Looks like now that number is close to doubling.....

Last edited by windyC6; 01-26-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Just have to remember the Barrett-Jackson circus for what is really is, guys with too much money, getting into bidding wars for bragging right ownership against other guys like themselves.

If your going there to look for deals, it not going to happen, and if you go to try to sell the car at a later date and you where one of the guys gilded into a bidding war for bragging rights that did pay way to much money for it in the first place, better pray that when you take the car back to resell at another Barrett-Jackson circus event, there are new guys just as gullible as you where when you bought it in the first place.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-27-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:46 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No reserve auctions are a risk to the seller. If you have a big dollar car you will have a buy bidder there in case the car does not get many bids to buy your car. For that reason I like the Mecum Auction which most cars are sold with a reserve.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:56 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been to both BJ and Mecum. They both are great a experience. It's like an ultimate car show but the cars are for sale. I have bought a C3 at Mecum Indianapolis before. You can find a decent deal on some cars at both early in the week. Most of the cars going for BIG money are the rare ones or the original ones with very low miles. Yes some of the very well done resto mods have gone up in price also. The Big money cars sell on Friday and Saturday usually to rich folks at both auctions. I've seen cars sell for less than what the builder/restorers probably have in just the engine. Yes the biggest difference in BJ and Mecum is the reserve vs no reserve sales. The Mecum's will sometimes cut the 10% premium for the seller and sometimes the buyer to get the reserve off and make a deal where BJ don't have to because 99% of their sales are no reserve. But no reserve can mean a descent deal sometimes if not many serious bidders.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
There were several cars that sold for much less than it cost to build them. It's a risk selling at no reserve. They sell a lot that don't make the TV.
My friend sold a retro truck there. He took a bath. Once you add up shipping from Canada, and paying 10% of the final price I don't think it was worth it for him.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I went last year, it's a great car show. I met a few guys from this forum at their weekly lunch hangout in Phoenix.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:32 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

MECUM = Great cars at Great prices!!

Barrett Jackson = Overpriced garage queens.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,697 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011_Grand_Sport
There were several cars that sold for much less than it cost to build them. It's a risk selling at no reserve. They sell a lot that don't make the TV.
This happens every day at car auctions. These are for the most part either dealers who can even out profits and losses, or people who enjoy rebuilding/restoring cars, driving them for a few years, flipping them and moving on to the next project. They understand they are unlikely to get all of their money back.

Everyday guys buying cars as an economic investment is like trying to time the stock market; it doesn't work very well for the vast majority of people.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian71
My friend sold a retro truck there. He took a bath. Once you add up shipping from Canada, and paying 10% of the final price I don't think it was worth it for him.

I always understood the buyer paid the fees on top of sale price not seller

I always dvr BJ and enjoy it but will mostly fast forward to cars that interest me for the most part. I do like to sit down and watch the Saturday night auction and dream a LITTLE

I just don't get these restomods and customs bringing the kind of money they do. I realize it takes a LOT to build them like that but i just do not see those cars increasing in value

My 2 favorite BJ cars sold were the Batmobile and the Olds F88 designed by Harley Earl. The buyer for the Olds actually sat in the car and would not back down from any bid

Naturally seeing Rick Hendrick buy first C7 was cool too

Last edited by tprice; 01-27-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

I've gone every year, last 10 years. Good entertainment if you relax and take it that way. I know some of the big rollers. Often they're exchanging cars in their respective collections, much like art or stamp collectors do. I've seen guys buy back the very same car they sold two years earlier.

It is just a different universe, with people in such a different financial state as the average person that nothing makes sense to most of us, including me. Same thing as going to an NFL game and observing the actions of a couple hundred multi-millionaires who also live in a different universe than most of us.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 01-27-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice

I always dvr BJ and enjoy it but will mostly fast forward to cars that interest me for the most part. I do like to sit down and watch the Saturday night auction and dream a LITTLE

I just don't get these restomods and customs bringing the kind of money they do. I realize it takes a LOT to build them like that but i just do not see those cars increasing in value

My 2 favorite BJ cars sold were the Batmobile and the Olds F88 designed by Harley Earl. The buyer for the Olds actually sat in the car and would not back down from any bid

Naturally seeing Rick Hendrick buy first C7 was cool too
I could be wrong...(I usually am)...but I thought both parties paid fees..???
Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

BJ is many jerks competing to show off how much money they can toss away. IMO, if you want a collector car and don't wish to play chicken with the monied swells at BJ, check out a Silver. Common cars for common guys who simply like classic cars.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:00 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I could be wrong...(I usually am)...but I thought both parties paid fees..???
The seller absorbs the fee. Usually a percent of the sales price. Some events with reserve pricing have a list fee as well.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:10 PM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buyer and Seller fees

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
The seller absorbs the fee. Usually a percent of the sales price. Some events with reserve pricing have a list fee as well.
Both the seller and the buyer pay fees. That's why you see Mecum cutting deals on both ends!

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett-Jackson circus

Old 01-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I felt the same way. Anything less than 100k is 'junk' these days.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:45 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s fun to watch but it’s a joke. It’s people with I call stupid money. As was said it’s guys with too much money proving they can get what they want.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Both buyer and seller pay 10% of hammer price.

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson circus