C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM
quadracr
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acesx4
Switched my 2:73 out of my 2005 for a set of 3:42's big difference!!
How much of a change was it to your RPMs at 75 MPH and gas mileage? Is yours a manual or an auto? Do you like the driveability more now?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by joeking
When the axle nuts become loose the car will make a weird grinding noise when turning sharp corners slow. It is worse when the car is cold. It absolutely does not hurt the car but sounds terrible. GM made some new axle nuts that are a little different style and are only about $7.00 each. All you have to do is take off the center cap, use a huge socket ( I don't remember what size but I can go right to it in my tool box because it is HUGE) and remove the axle nut. I think I jacked the car up on each side first but cannot remember. All you have to do is put locktite on it and you are finished. It takes a whole 5 minutes for each wheel. You will have to do a forum search and there are quite a few articles stating exactly how to do it. I bought my car new and it made the noise under warranty but the dealer couldn't find the problem so i just left it until I figured it out on my own. If your car is making a grinding noise on low speed corners this is most likely your chance for a very easy low cost repair. Your Chevrolet dealer would know which is the new part because they included many other non-Corvette automobiles and GM cars.
33mm socket
Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by quadracr
How much of a change was it to your RPMs at 75 MPH and gas mileage? Is yours a manual or an auto? Do you like the driveability more now?
It'd be an auto diff to manual diff conversion. This is a great swap for the money.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Thump Y
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zo6 gears

Originally Posted by irok
my 05 auto car is modified and ran low 11's with slicks for 12 years and never an issue with it.after supercharging I switched to a new Z06 differential
Do you know if it's a difference in the manual Zo6 3:42 gears from the auto ? I'm looking to go with the Zo6 gears but all the gears I find shows for c6 manual trans only.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:53 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by Thump Y
Do you know if it's a difference in the manual Zo6 3:42 gears from the auto ? I'm looking to go with the Zo6 gears but all the gears I find shows for c6 manual trans only.
yes there is a difference between the manual ZO6 3:42 gears and the automatic gear sets

Quick Reply: 2005 differential