C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership woes..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:25 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Last time I heard that sound on a car it was a brake disc metal dust shield rubbing on the rotor. I haven't looked as mine is at the dealership getting warranty work, but do these cars have dust shields?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Get the car up on a lift and check for play in the wheel hub bearing.

Hence the problem is them beating/using a impact driver on the stud to remove it , the force translated to the bearings to cause them to loosen up (flex in the flange as you will find above) and the the rear tire sees torque in and out, the tire and hub flange is defecting in and out, while the brake caliper with pads remains stationary. So what you are hearing is the defection of the rotor on the hub canting, and now putting more pressure against the pads per side isntead.

Point blank, the wheel bearing hub is cooked for the method they used to remove the broken stud, and the wheel hub needs to be replaced.

If the shop will not replace the hub/still giving you the run around, then just replace the hub yourself; while never doing business with the shop isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-06-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
sounds like the parking brake dragging. Bad hubs will typically “whirl” or clunk, ditto CV joints.
Sounds like you called it. They “say” it’s fixed and that the parking brake was out of Adjustment. Heading to pick it up tonight. Hope I’m good!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
That's a thought that I would not have thought of! Plus 1 to Dano.
While getting carried away pounding out an old stud probably isn't good for a bearing if not done correctly.....I doubt you would notice the repercussions in just 3.9 miles. Unless of course they used a 200 lb sledge.....

Quick Reply: Dealership woes..........