C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, where are all the Vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:12 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Theres 2 types of car (and Corvette) people. There are those that drive their "specialty" car every day and act like everyone should. Some say that they are just a car.....some say that they will rot and fall apart if not driven daily......and some say that all the salt and grime on the roads from winter driving doeasn't hurt them at all. Why there are even some that say a Corvette will go in the snow just fine....(). Then there are those car people that bought their Corvette because they like the hot roding experience. This means keeping the car cleaned up and taking her out on a nice day/knight and doing a little cruzing with the windows down or tops off. Maybe using it from time to time for a little running of errands....etc....etc....etc. I personally fall into this category. As with all my hot rods over the past 45+ years...I bought my Corvette to be a hobby. Something to enjoy when I feel like it. And something that should be taken care of in every way. And this means no driving in the snow and salt.....no driving on the rainy filthy roads.....no parking in parking lots next to other cars (when possible).....etc....etc....etc. Thats my story and i'm sticking to it !!!!!........
well, I’ll have to concur when it comes to driving in snow. Especially here in Alabama. Most of these folks don’t have a clue. But seriously, it’s been about 10-12 years since we were Vette owners. We used to see a Vette or two every time we left the house. Now, it’s been weeks and haven’t seen more than one or two total. Yes, I know it’s February but here in the heart of Dixie it ain’t all that cold. At least not every day. Even when I had “hobby” Corvettes like the 1962 fuel injected car, it got driven on a regular basis. Just trying to get my hands around what the mentality is these days. I’ll do my own thing regardless, but it’s nice sometimes to understand where others are coming from.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:30 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

I DD mine all spring, summer and fall, but I can't bring myself to drive it when there is salt on the road. I also don't like driving on summer tires below 40 degrees.

I rarely see other Corvettes around me. All year, I probably will see three or four C4s, maybe two C3s, and half dozen C5s, C6s, or C7s. Most in the summer of course.

I've never once seen a C1 or C2 actually being driven on the road.

Last edited by dmk0210; 02-02-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
I DD mine all spring, summer and fall, but I can't bring myself to drive it when there is salt on the road. I also don't like driving on summer tires below 40 degrees.

I rarely see other Corvettes around me. All year, I probably will see three or four C4s, maybe two C3s, and half dozen C5s, C6s, or C7s. Most in the summer of course.

I've never once seen a C1 or C2 actually being driven on the road.

I see about those same Vettes around here, but NONE in the winter. I do know a guy who has a C2, see him a couple times a year.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 62fuelie

that’s what I was beginning to suspect. I qualify as old
people, so I’m gonna drive the wheels
off
this one.
I was totally joking. I drive my 08' Z06 when it's nice and my SUV when it's not. I bought my Z06 last February from Arab Alabama, I live in Indiana. Funny cause last year the winter was so mild that I drove it from February straight into spring until I took the heads off for the fix. This winter has been a rough one and it's parked in garage with a tender on it. Potholes here are so bad they rattle my teeth in my SUV and the tire have really tall side walls, so I dare not take the Z06 out. That's bad considering I only work 15 minute from home. I suspect that many are very proud Corvette owners, like myself, that don't have to subject their pride and joy to rain, salt, snow and there is nothing wrong with that. I love driving it and enjoy the off season to do mods, it's gives me a chance to miss driving it and something to really look forward to in the spring, summer and fall. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Last edited by itomh; 02-02-2018 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Rice Boy
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I grew up in New England... Rhode Island & Massachusetts. The very first car that I owned was a 88 Pontiac TA (just sold that about 4 yrs ago). In 02, I bought a TA WS6. I've owned a few other rear drive cars throughout. Every single one of them went through years of New England winters just fine. I've only owned this vette for about a month now, but it's been out in a couple of Minnesota snow flurries already. It handled the snow "okay"... just need to control the clutch a bit.

I guess I fall into the "it's just a car" category. My uncle has owned a Porsche for over 15 years now. He's put maybe less than 2k miles on it so far and spent thousands of dollars fixing issues. Gremlins have set up shop in his electronics.

I bought this vette in order to drive it. Driving is how I get my enjoyment. It's not a show car. I didn't buy it to show off to others. I bought for me. If I wanted to enjoy just looking at it, then I would've just put up posters in the garage. I'm getting old and older every day. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it before I croak. If it breaks down, I will get another one. It may outlive me though. Since I can't take it with me to whatever next life there is, I will enjoy it here while I can.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:17 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruze
I see about those same Vettes around here, but NONE in the winter. I do know a guy who has a C2, see him a couple times a year.
I was just surprised a couple weeks ago by a guy driving a C5 right after it snowed the day before, roads freshly plowed and peak salt coverage. I saw a newish 911 too just a few hours later.

I was kind of jealous. I miss driving my Vette.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:46 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,668 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I drive mine year-round, except when there is snow or leftover salt remnants.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Personally, I don't give a crap about whether or not someone drives in the winter or not. It's THEIR car. Nor do I care if anyone thinks I'm dumb for not driving mine. My car, my reasons. To each his own.
The following 4 users liked this post by USA1 427:
bruceg2016 (02-05-2018), Dub Mc (02-05-2018), Smitsd (02-06-2018), Too-Fast (02-08-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I drive mine every time I want to. Having 9 vehicles, and I want every one of them, I would have to drive 24 7 to be seen in each of them often.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Used to see vettes almost every day from teh C3 to C5 era, hardly any since then. Same with old musclecars.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
I was just surprised a couple weeks ago by a guy driving a C5 right after it snowed the day before, roads freshly plowed and peak salt coverage. I saw a newish 911 too just a few hours later.

I was kind of jealous. I miss driving my Vette.
I've been putting my summer toys up since around 1969 so it's just another winter and life goes on.

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Personally, I don't give a crap about whether or not someone drives in the winter or not. It's THEIR car. Nor do I care if anyone thinks I'm dumb for not driving mine. My car, my reasons. To each his own.
I agree, but this is a continual (rather juvenile) debate, which starts in the fall by the southerners as we comment on putting our toys up for the winter.

Seriously, if I didn't know better, I'd swear some of the people here are teenagers (or younger).
The following users liked this post:
USA1 427 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:46 PM
hogfanandy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Around Memphis, it is pretty rare to see a Corvette out and about during winter days below 50-55 degrees. However, let a 60 or 70 degree Saturday or Sunday come around this time of year and the road will be "full" of them...relatively speaking. I don't judge people if they buy C7's instead of C6's (much), or what color they choose to buy. I certainly won't judge by whether they choose to garage them in the winter or not.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:39 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,142 Posts

So far, have not see any vettes in and around Tampa since I got here 2 days ago, and yes, l've been driving around. Kind of surprising, I figured to spot some by now.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 02-05-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
Driving Corvettes is such a 90's thing and only old people do it, parking them is the new thing.
Got to admit. They are better to look at then drive. Haven't driven our fleet in several years. Open the garage doors, let them run occasionally. Small interiors, no room for my dog, have few comfort items I enjoy. Enjoy the view more as they are lined up in the storage garage. Building an early 60s Belair post bench seat four speed driver.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Got to admit. They are better to look at then drive.
Wow, you guys are driving on the wrong roads then.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Used to see vettes almost every day from teh C3 to C5 era, hardly any since then. Same with old musclecars.
It's funny, I actually see quite a few old muscle cars here in Appalachia. Sometimes really nice restored ones, often not so nice or restored. A lot of GM stuff; Camaros, Firebirds, Chevelles, and even the occasional El Camino. Now and then a Mopar. I rarely see any nice old Fords though for some reason. I have a soft spot in my heart for 60's Fairlanes and Galaxies with the vertical quad headlights.

Last edited by dmk0210; 02-07-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:34 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
My current C6 does not go out on the road until the temp is at least 50 so I can get the tires warm enough to grab (so I'm not playing sit and spin through an intersection for 4 gears on even dry cold asphalt, the car is not trying to skate out every corner), and only after the roads have cleared up enough of CC and gravel so the car in front of me is not trying to take out my paint job isntead.

Yes, you can drive a c6 on ice and in the snow, but after a few miles of white knuckling it with the back end trying to step out every chance it gets/it trying to kill you for grins, you just leave it parked in the garage stored for the winter, and drive the 4x4 that you bought to run in the winter time that is dramaless; even in 4" of snow isntead.
Perfectly sums it up for me and my '11 GS winter driving experience. Come on Spring!

Get notified of new replies

To So, where are all the Vettes?

Old 02-07-2018, 12:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

My uncle has owned a Porsche for over 15 years now. He's put maybe less than 2k miles on it so far and spent thousands of dollars fixing issues. Gremlins have set up shop in his electronics.
He needs to drive it more, low batteries cause all kinds of "issues" that really arent.

I dont understand the better to look at thing. I mean I hear what hes saying but a poster is way cheaper. Noones gonna pat you on th eback for keeping the miles low.

Its just a car, not a rare diamond.. drive em.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My HP cars used to be my daily drivers when I was a teenager, as I got older and had more disposable income, I began to park the HP cars, and have “drivers”. When I moved to Corvettes, I have always had regular daily drivers and the ‘vettes sit in the garage waiting for Spring and Summer, only driven on sunny days, with the exception of the Texas Mile in Oct of 2015 (never to be repeated again due to weather). Call me crazy, that’s what I like to do with my ‘vettes.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:57 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
My HP cars used to be my daily drivers when I was a teenager, as I got older and had more disposable income, I began to park the HP cars, and have “drivers”. When I moved to Corvettes, I have always had regular daily drivers and the ‘vettes sit in the garage waiting for Spring and Summer, only driven on sunny days, with the exception of the Texas Mile in Oct of 2015 (never to be repeated again due to weather). Call me crazy, that’s what I like to do with my ‘vettes.
Bout the same for me. Mines sat in the rain one time, but never been driven in it. Will make all efforts to never drive it in the rain unless of course it absolutely can't be avoided....

Quick Reply: So, where are all the Vettes?