C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate Me

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 AM
TheBorkinator
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate Me

Hey guys, been looking at getting into a C6 for quite a long time now. Currently have a 2012 Mustang with a Paxton blower making around 640 and I'm really familiar with what all needs to be done with a Mustang to handle that sort of power. I swapped transmissions to a Magnum XL and replaced basically the entire suspension. When I get a Corvette I plan to already have a supercharger waiting for it when I buy it. Think I'll go with the ECS Paxton 1500 kit (love my Paxton). I'm unsure about the rest though, how's the trans hold up? Dif? Do I need to do much with the suspension to get it to hook? What can the stock fuel system take? Basically just having a hard time finding info on what needs to be done to support that boost.

I'd like an LS3 but I could settle for an LS2 due to cost if they can handle decent power (finding varying info on that). I'd like to make around the same 650whp mark, but more than that would certainly be welcome.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:23 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Better learn to drive it first b4 doing mods you will love it just the way it is. You are going from a PONY car to a supercar completely different driving experience. Lower, meaner, faster...

Last edited by Mlcharlestonsc; 02-09-2018 at 05:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JDawg (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:33 AM
TheBorkinator
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Better learn to drive it first b4 doing mods you will love it just the way it is. You are going from a PONY car to a supercar completely different driving experience. Lower, meaner, faster...
I'll get a feel for it but that won't really take long. Slightly doubt a stock C6 will leave me satisfied in terms of speed.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 AM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i had a supercharged 305 thirdgen camaro, made 380/420 to the wheels, i bought a c6 grandsport with just a cold air intake on it, after driving that the camaro felt broken i was constantly looking at the boost gauge hit 14psi thinking it wasn't

that 305 is now sitting in the garage and a 6.0 ls sitting under the hood.

you'd be surprised..
Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 AM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Come on, he's coming from a 640hp car and we're telling him he better learn to drive a stock one first? It will depend on what power level you want. If you want to stay around the 650wrhp, just do meth, tires and a clutch and enjoy the heck out of it.
koreanbeefcake (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The Mustang is, at best, a straight line street racer. The C6 is a tamed road course track car. Apples and oranges. If all you are looking for is a street racer than I would stick with the modified Mustang. If you are looking for a sports car with the ability to pull well over 1G in the turns under acceleration then you need to learn how to drive it before you start adding more power than it already has.

As far as adding power, the tech section is a better place to ask except you won't get as many responses because there aren't a lot of people who have found a need to improve on a factory built race car that will be driven on the street.
owc6 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Base model LS3, small cam, headers, and a V3 SI on 8lbs and you will make the power you are looking for. I have had a bunch of mustangs (V6, GT, Saleen) and the Corvette with the blower is an animal. Welcome to the party!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:37 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

C6 Z06, CAI, Header, Aftermarket Exhaust and a cam?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBorkinator
Hey guys, been looking at getting into a C6 for quite a long time now. Currently have a 2012 Mustang with a Paxton blower making around 640 and I'm really familiar with what all needs to be done with a Mustang to handle that sort of power. I swapped transmissions to a Magnum XL and replaced basically the entire suspension. When I get a Corvette I plan to already have a supercharger waiting for it when I buy it. Think I'll go with the ECS Paxton 1500 kit (love my Paxton). I'm unsure about the rest though, how's the trans hold up? Dif? Do I need to do much with the suspension to get it to hook? What can the stock fuel system take? Basically just having a hard time finding info on what needs to be done to support that boost.

I'd like an LS3 but I could settle for an LS2 due to cost if they can handle decent power (finding varying info on that). I'd like to make around the same 650whp mark, but more than that would certainly be welcome.

Welcome to the Corvette world and thanks for your interest in our products!

700 rwhp is very easily obtained in these cars, all you would need is our base kit, headers and meth injection unless you live in an area with E85 and will run that. 93 will run out of octane around 600 rwhp, we do not push it past 575.

That combo with a drag radial will put you in the low 10's high 9's -
135/140 MPH depending on the weather/track conditions. We have done this so many times now that I lost count, we have hundreds of cars on the road with this package.

If you are going with a manual eventually you will need a clutch if you drag race it, but the stock clutch will actually hold it just fine for street use. We recommend our trans brace for the manuals, but there's no need to replace the trans or any other major modifications to handle the power you're looking to make.

If you're considering an auto then there's nothing needed, make the power and go!

Oh and just an FYI about this forum, the general sections are where you will get replies like "the car is fast enough stock", the forced induction sections are where you will get "and after you're bored of 700 rwhp I would suggest doing adding the ECS blower cam, direct drive and a stg 1 fuel system to break 800 rwhp".
TheBorkinator (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

No doubt a Corvette is a nice driving car and a lot of fun.....but a Super Car it is not.....
Old 02-09-2018, 11:33 AM
therealmz
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

a C6 Coupe is hardly a supercar.......good try tho.....
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 supercar my azz, good platform though...enjoy op.
Lot more guys actually driving their stangs than the vette guys so take the crowd with a grain of salt. Youll find the gear heads here.
The following 2 users liked this post by cv67:
kevinjm (02-09-2018), koreanbeefcake (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:52 PM
jackjohnson_218
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mlcharlestonsc
better learn to drive it first b4 doing mods you will love it just the way it is. You are going from a pony car to a supercar completely different driving experience. Lower, meaner, faster...
lol wut?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM
pdac
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe lower, but meaner and faster than a 640hp Pony Car? Not likely.
I came from a stock mustang GT with "Just" 42o hp and it felt meaner and faster than my Vette. (probably because of the gearing).
Also, I question whether or not a stock C6 qualifies as a supercar.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
No doubt a Corvette is a nice driving car and a lot of fun.....but a Super Car it is not.....
Just curious, by what criteria do you exclude the corvette from supercar status (not to be confused with the hypercar). I've looked around a little in the past and can't find a reason why some vette variants are not supercars... outside of price (comparatively inexpensive) and availability (easy to find).

From the intrawebs...

Supercar:

Price > $150,000
Powerplants with > 500bhp on tap.
Two seaters with 2+2 layout.
190mph top speed
0–60mph in 3.2 - 3.6 seconds.

Examples include Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, Porsche 911 Turbo

Hypercar:

Price > $800,000
Unique design studies
> 750 bhp on demand
Exclusive, limited run productions
Top speed > 215 mph
0–60 mph in 2.2 - 2.9 seconds

Examples include Ferrari LaFerrari, Pagani Zonda, Bugatti Veyron
Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 PM
TheBorkinator
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Welcome to the Corvette world and thanks for your interest in our products!

700 rwhp is very easily obtained in these cars, all you would need is our base kit, headers and meth injection unless you live in an area with E85 and will run that. 93 will run out of octane around 600 rwhp, we do not push it past 575.

That combo with a drag radial will put you in the low 10's high 9's -
135/140 MPH depending on the weather/track conditions. We have done this so many times now that I lost count, we have hundreds of cars on the road with this package.

If you are going with a manual eventually you will need a clutch if you drag race it, but the stock clutch will actually hold it just fine for street use. We recommend our trans brace for the manuals, but there's no need to replace the trans or any other major modifications to handle the power you're looking to make.

If you're considering an auto then there's nothing needed, make the power and go!

Oh and just an FYI about this forum, the general sections are where you will get replies like "the car is fast enough stock", the forced induction sections are where you will get "and after you're bored of 700 rwhp I would suggest doing adding the ECS blower cam, direct drive and a stg 1 fuel system to break 800 rwhp".

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. It'll definitely be a manual and I'll be taking it to the track every few weeks. 700rwhp and I'll be more than satisfied for quite awhile. How much would you suggest the ls3 over the ls2? I know the ls3 is better but the price difference between the two is enough to buy AND boost the ls2 car for the same as just buying an ls3 car
Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

For that kind of power you will need a higher capacity fuel pump and colder set of spark plugs for sure. I've had Mustangs before and for sure they are fun cars. I hate when they catch on fire though. That's how I lost my last one. Vettes are a different kind of car. In my opinion and overall better car.

Get notified of new replies

To Educate Me

Old 02-09-2018, 11:16 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
The Mustang is, at best, a straight line street racer. The C6 is a tamed road course track car. Apples and oranges. If all you are looking for is a street racer than I would stick with the modified Mustang. If you are looking for a sports car with the ability to pull well over 1G in the turns under acceleration then you need to learn how to drive it before you start adding more power than it already has.

As far as adding power, the tech section is a better place to ask except you won't get as many responses because there aren't a lot of people who have found a need to improve on a factory built race car that will be driven on the street.
Well thought-out response.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

Nicely said,

Hence there is two trains of thought on the C6.

It can be made faster for straight line use, but you run up against a wall for strip use, since there is only so much you can power you can throw at the drive line before you start snapping parts. Hence huge bank getting the car into the 8 second, since you have to pull this off with High G launches that the drive train can hold up to launch after launch to begin with.

In stock form for high speed road course work, it too can be made better if you have the driving talent, but most vet owners lack such talent, and even over their head with the vet in stock form isntead.

To be blunt, a fully prep'd C6 T1 road course track car only makes about 600hp since it a good balance between handing and usable horse power, with most of the mods to the car to improve is handing from the start.
Huge note here, don't even think about taking the suspension up to a T1 level with GM bolt on parts until you get down force on the car. Without down force, you will never get the T1 sprung front end to weight transfer dive correctly into the corners.

Really, if you plan on buying a vet, before you do anything mods to the car, do some HPDE events, and let it be where you are going to focus any mods on the car instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 02-10-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:22 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
Just curious, by what criteria do you exclude the corvette from supercar status (not to be confused with the hypercar). I've looked around a little in the past and can't find a reason why some vette variants are not supercars... outside of price (comparatively inexpensive) and availability (easy to find).

From the intrawebs...

Supercar:

Price > $150,000
Powerplants with > 500bhp on tap.
Two seaters with 2+2 layout.
190mph top speed
0–60mph in 3.2 - 3.6 seconds.

Examples include Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8, Porsche 911 Turbo

Hypercar:

Price > $800,000
Unique design studies
> 750 bhp on demand
Exclusive, limited run productions
Top speed > 215 mph
0–60 mph in 2.2 - 2.9 seconds

Examples include Ferrari LaFerrari, Pagani Zonda, Bugatti Veyron
Hyper Car --- Smiper Car. I call any of these high dollar super fast and streamline hard edged cars "Exotics" regardless of what the retail price is. If it's over 300 - 400 K your getting into super car status. And the 60 - 100 K Corvette just doesn't belong there....

Quick Reply: Educate Me