C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace my tires prior to selling car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by ruxvette
So the carpet matches the drapes?
what if there are no drapes.............

some I've seen only had blinds.................

just sayin'......................

and a resounding NO to replacing the tires before the sale........... let the new owner make that choice............

Last edited by rkj427; 02-12-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Nope will not get value back
Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree you won't get the value back, but I've never bought a car with nearly bald tires on it. I wonder why? Would someone pass on your car because he found a similar Corvette with like new tires? Maybe? How will your listing look compared to another competitive listing at the same price with new tires? Will you list yours as immaculate, well maintained, low mile, BUT BALLED TIRES? Doesn't make sense to mark the price down $1000 cause they will probably still want haggle that price. Just another way of looking at it.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:49 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I put new tires on the last car I sold so the new owner won't have to worry.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 AM
SBMVP16
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell it as is No Doubt
Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM
CJKC6
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I just bought an old SRX that was either 7K with new battery or 6800 and I do the battery. I liked being able to get the battery I wanted. Only relation to the Vette is the SRX is burgundy with tan interior like my Vette!
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,337 Likes on 882 Posts

Just to be different, I'll go with replace the tires. Here is my thought.

Say the person is buying the car and has to finance it. It might be easier to have new tires on it and the person doesn't have to worry about dropping $1K to $2k on tires right after the purchase.

But I see the valid points either way. Maybe list it as is and try to sell it. If after a few bites people aren't taking it home, then buy the new tires and re-list it.

Best of luck to you.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

From a buyers perspective, if it came down to two cars, one with “good” to new tires, and one that had tires worn down to the bars, I’d buy the one with good tires. ( all else being as close to equal as can be). I say replace the tires. Someone else above questioned what else may not have been maintained? I too would question this. Just a thought, but I wouldn’t have driven the tires down to near bald anyway. I vote for new tires. I’ll bet it’ll be MUCH easier to sell, at a competitive price, with less hassle, with good rubber on it. Heck, you might even consider buying a good used set that has more life left than your current tires just to sell it more easily.
Good luck either way!
Joe
Old 02-13-2018, 02:48 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

It really all boils down to the math. Take your absolute rock bottom price you are prepared to take for the car and do the math on if new tires (and the hassle) is worth it. Contrary to some opinions, there are many people that look at new tires and call it a plus because now they don't have to deal with that hassle and expense for several years.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:03 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Personally, I would replace the tires before selling if it were my car. If it was being traded in then it would go as is. My $.02.
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:04 PM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I really appreciate all the replies. Everything you all have said has crossed my mind multiple times. I will say that anyone inspecting the car in person and seeing my records will understand how much this car has meant to me and how well I care for it.

That being said, I, too, would question the owner and the worn tires if I were a potential buyer...I get it.

Since more than one of you have chimed in to replace the tires (yes, I'm going to go there...), what would you buy? The car currently lives where it does go below the recommended temperature range for summer tires. The car is a GS, so options are a little more limited. I've considered the benefits and shortfalls of putting on all-seasons vs. summer. Hard for me to guess what a potential buyer may want, or the climate where they live.

Tires I have considered, since I do plan to continue driving the car until it's sold (and this list is in order of preference):

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (GS sizes just released)
Michelin PSS
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ ZP
Continental Extreme Contact Sport

Yes, there are other options, some of which are cheaper, some more expensive. The small group I've put together are within ~$200 of each other for a set of four. Just a few of the questions one would need to consider if putting new tires on prior to sale: Would the car be in a cold weather climate and would the buyer want a year-round driver? Would the buyer want the peace of mind that they may get with a run-flat? Would brand influence their satisfaction with the tires on the car? Is latest and greatest important or is a proven tire better in their eyes? Etc., etc., etc.

Again, I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on what each of you would put on the car, and the reasons you would do so. I cracked the door on the question, so I would now appreciate you guys kicking it open with what you would put on the car and why?

FYI, I'm not married to any one idea here, and I do value the opinions of the owners on this forum, so this is a nice exchange for me.

Again, thanks for all the replies and for playing along.

NMJ
Old 02-13-2018, 05:36 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Out of your list... Super sports hands down. Nobody will have anything to say about them, they're a great tire that lasts, amd most people buying this aren't going to beat it up year round anyways.

If you were keeping the car, I would say Hankook. All the performance, less tread life, but less price.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,337 Likes on 882 Posts

I'd just put the cheapest ones on there. Save your paper work that has the car's mileage to show them that you just bought them.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
I'd just put the cheapest ones on there. Save your paper work that has the car's mileage to show them that you just bought them.
This is a definite. Putting on new ones may be a good thing...but you definitely don't want to buy high dollar ones. Most potential buyers will only really take notice on how much rubber is there and not what brand they are.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Hankook’s in OEM sizes would be my choice. I’m using them now. They suit my needs well and would be a good choice at a relatively low price.
Joe

Last edited by Jstan2014; 02-13-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Buy used tires....off the forum...from a guy who went to 19/20s...

Silly to buy new tires to sell a car.

First thing I would do after buying a used corvette with a c5 or c6 in mind is go to larger diameter wheels and tires...

Buy used tires ...and keep the purchase price lower than if you bought brand new tires.

Search the forum for sale section ..c6 or c7 wheel so and tire section...

Also shop local Craigslist for tires,..

200 to 300 dollars for all four tires is possible

I'd shop for 6/32nds.

I'd also consider using these guys as I believe shipping is free

http://www.bestusedtires.com/?gclid=...SAAEgL9UfD_BwE
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by NMJoe
I plan to sell my Centennial in the next few months. The original Goodyears are still on the car and are down to the wear bars with just over 10K on the clock. From your perspective, should I sell the car with the worn tires so a buyer can put what they want on, or should I put new on myself? Will I be able to price the car higher with new tires, and if so will I get close to getting my money back? Will the car be easier to sell/more appealing one way or the other?

I would appreciate how you would look at the situation if you were buying a used car.

NMJ
You have a choice. Sell with new tires and jack the price up to recoup some but not all of the cost because you cannot recoup all of it.

What I'd do is sell as is, divulge the tires need replacement and say you are selling as is so the buyer can choose his own tires.

If I were buying, I'd NOT like you to make my tire choice for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I replace my tires prior to selling car?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

I've bought a few pre-owned cars in my day. I don't ever recall looking at one with new tires and deciding not to buy it cause I didn't like the tires. While yes sometimes they are cheapos that someone put on just cause they are selling it, I simply took notice and said to myself that those tires will have to go sooner or later. If I liked the rest of the vehicle the brand/type of tires were really a mute point.......
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
I've bought a few pre-owned cars in my day. I don't ever recall looking at one with new tires and deciding not to buy it cause I didn't like the tires. While yes sometimes they are cheapos that someone put on just cause they are selling it, I simply took notice and said to myself that those tires will have to go sooner or later. If I liked the rest of the vehicle the brand/type of tires were really a mute point.......
Well, you may not but most would have an opinion about run flats or not.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by windyC6
...tires were really a mute point.......
Quiet AND moot...

Quick Reply: Should I replace my tires prior to selling car?