C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Flat or Regulat Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

I’m replacing my garbage Goodyear run craps with Hankook tires this spring. I’ll carry a plug kit & compressor since it’s only a weekend car. Goodyear is the WORST ever with run flats, they were awful on my old C5 and were awful after about 5k miles on my 2013 GS when it was new.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I run non runflats and I have the tires at 30 psi cold.

And with religiously monitored 30 psi cold I have very even tire wear.

Street Pfadt alignment.

Last edited by Boomer111; 02-15-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Another new owner question............Do you run non-flat or regular tires on your C6?.........How much tire pressure do you use?..........Tire recommendations are welcomed.
Thanks in advance, Steve
Answering the second question first, tire pressure, 30PSI cold.

The C6 I maintain for a friend has new (last summer) Michelin Pilot Sports, conventional tires, not run-flats. The ride is much better than the 8 year old run flat Stones (Firestone? Flintstone?) that were on it. Handling improved significantly, too. For autocrossing, the thing picked up about 4 seconds in the hands of a novice driver who was still learning the car with the switch in tires. Of course, the stones were old and evil.
Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I used a can of that fix-a- flat years ago on a front tire and i could not go over 50 mph because it caused it to shimming like hell...Never again!
If you use Fix-a-flat, or similar sealant, it's important to get the thing back on the road and running and drive it at least 10 miles (or at least 15-20 minutes). If it all settles in the bottom of the tire and sets up there, the tire will be badly out of balance. If you drive it immediately after disconnecting the can, the stuff gets distributed fairly evenly around the inside of the tire, and the tire stays balanced.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportRob
...............Goodyear is the WORST ever with run flats, they were awful on my old C5 and were awful after about 5k miles on my 2013 GS when it was new.
Replaced the worn out OEM A/S EMT Goodyears on my 07 vert after 25k with Michelin A/S Plus ZPs. Now after an additional 27k miles, the Michelins are nowhere close to being worn out. The ZR1 came with OEM Michelin PS2s. 25k on the front and 39k on the rears. Very good considering my 06Z06 struggled to get 15k out of the OEM Goodyear SC EMTs. I will never willingly buy Goodyear replacement tires for anything that I own.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 PM
Stig13
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't believe they make run flats for these bomb-*** wheels.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ATBGE/commen...reddit-android
Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Run flats for me --- when leaving the Bloomington Gold show in St. Charles IL (near Chicago) late in the day, the low pressure is indicated. Checked the pressure and its flat. Sunday night. Chicago. So I limped home 150 miles. Thank you Mr. Firestone.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Run flats are a much harder compound and stiffer tire, hence run flat. I drove my C5 home 700 miles with 11 year old OE run flats. 30 minutes into highway portion of the trip I was second guessing what I had just bought.

Once home I replaced the run flats and it was a totally different ride. The installer had me sit on one of the run flats after it removed from the rim, it barely moved. The non run flat I could collapse flat.

I keep a couple cans of fix-a-flat in the back just in case.
I know that feeling, literally. Just replaced the runflats with Continental Extreme Contacts. Much better ride.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

I replaced my original Goodyear run flats with these Michelin PS A/S 3+ last month. I also have AAA Plus membership just in case. I have these same tires on my GT/CS and they have been incredible in every weather condition. It was an easy choice to get these for the C6.

Attachment 48256076

Last edited by Atomic6; 11-06-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for all the info.......I ended up getting Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s non run flat. They are high performance summer tires. I usually don't use Firestone but the reviews on Tirerack and the price I got from the Firestone dealer for these tires couldn't be beat. So far I have only driven them about 100 miles, but they are quiet and smooth. They handle and brake very well too. They have an awesome tread design and are a good looking low profile tire. Big improvement from old GY RFs. I have changed and plugged many tires and to me it's a dirty inconvenience, but I'm willing to continue to do it if need be.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:02 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I've been using non run flats now for over 10 years, without a flat. Carry a repair kit and air compressor just in case if you go on a trip.
This is what I have done and will continue
Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Runflats for me. It just depends on how much of a gambler you are. Ever tried to plug a tire at night on the side of an interstate? Runflats give you a security blanket.
.....non run flats give you a better ride but the convenience of run-flats outweighs that for me. I run 30 lbs cold with Michelin ps zp

Clif
Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Thanks for all the info.......I ended up getting Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s non run flat. They are high performance summer tires. I usually don't use Firestone but the reviews on Tirerack and the price I got from the Firestone dealer for these tires couldn't be beat. So far I have only driven them about 100 miles, but they are quiet and smooth. They handle and brake very well too. They have an awesome tread design and are a good looking low profile tire. Big improvement from old GY RFs. I have changed and plugged many tires and to me it's a dirty inconvenience, but I'm willing to continue to do it if need be.
Great tires for a great price. Almost went with them. I went up to the Conti Extreme Contact Sports. Love them.

Quick Reply: Non-Flat or Regulat Tires ?