C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustment for NPP exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Adjustment for NPP exhaust

I have a mild to wild control with remote control. But open is too loud for me, and closed is too quiet except on trips. I rigged this cable with a thumb wheel clamp that allows me to have them open slightly all the time around town, and closed with a push of a button. It sounds great with the cable limiting the valves to about 20-25 percent open - in my opinion. If I want fully open, all I have to do is loosen the thumb wheel and let the cable extend. If you think it's stupid, please don't beat me up too badly. Total cost $5.00 at my local bolt store. If someone has an easier way please post.

Last edited by montman; 02-15-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

You've just turned NPP into Rocket Science.

Pretty ingenious actually and the best part is, you like it.

Now figure out how to activate if from the cockpit and you will make some real coin.

Last edited by danzio56; 02-14-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Being creative and innovation is always great. This is exactly what's called "Customization".

Good job and have fun!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

But if you want them open 100%, and are driving down the highway at 70 mph, I guess your passenger could just open the rear hatch, climb halfway out, and reach down and undo the lock. Ingenious, I give you that, but....why???
Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 PM
montman
Pro

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
But if you want them open 100%, and are driving down the highway at 70 mph, I guess your passenger could just open the rear hatch, climb halfway out, and reach down and undo the lock. Ingenious, I give you that, but....why???
​​​​​​Maybe I can talk my wife into that! It sounds great limited to 25 percent open, not too loud - in my opinion . The idea is that if I'm feeling wild one morning and want to blast my ears, it will only take me about 30 seconds to make it open fully.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:21 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Pulled my NPP fuse out 8 years ago!! No complaints form the wife and we take plenty of road trips, I wish it was louder, that's why headers are going in this summer!!
Old 02-15-2018, 05:45 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Pulled my NPP fuse out 8 years ago!! No complaints form the wife and we take plenty of road trips, I wish it was louder, that's why headers are going in this summer!!
I feel you. I am considering LT headers too with X pipe (and hi-flow cats). Do it right if you're gonna do it. I don't think the NPP is too loud. Nothing that's OEM is "TOO" loud, or too powerful, or too anything... There are a lot of things that can be improved & enhanced of Corvettes - something GM should have already done, but they never do due to Politics...or who knows...
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM
montman
Pro

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Have you had a hearing test lately? It may be that you wish it was louder because your hearing is declining. I know from experience.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

It just sounds awesome wide open. Nice to be able to close it when needed though, but then I miss the sounds of that growling 427.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:29 AM
g's13 GS
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had my NPP fuse removed for several months, but recently reinstalled it. I know find myself driving over 3500 RPM's so the valves open. I think it's time to remove the fuse again.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 AM
montman
Pro

Originally Posted by g's13 GS
I have had my NPP fuse removed for several months, but recently reinstalled it. I know find myself driving over 3500 RPM's so the valves open. I think it's time to remove the fuse again.
For about 65 bucks, you can buy a Mild to Wild exhaust control and have it quiet or loud with the touch of a button. Very easy to install, takes about 10 minutes.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm like Don, I just leave mine open and have no complaints from the wife. Wish it were a little louder.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 AM
montman
Pro

Originally Posted by KyJim
I'm like Don, I just leave mine open and have no complaints from the wife. Wish it were a little louder.
I think there's some info available on where to drill holes in the muffler that will make it louder.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

A couple split collars with 5mm bore from McmasterCarr.
I think I went with the stainless ones. Order a long t-handle Allen wrench to make it easier.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 AM
montman
Pro

Originally Posted by Curt D
I think I went with the stainless ones. Order a long t-handle Allen wrench to make it easier.
If i'm not mistaken, the split collar is good to keep them from closing all the way, but still allow them to open 100%. I like being able to close them off to talk or listen to music without the rumble when on long trips. Good idea though.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Don't know if this would work or be too much of a pita. I assume if would have been before done if it did. I wonder if a proportioning valve in the vacuum line would work to control the valves at lower speeds. Dial in a little less vacuum to open the valves a little under 3500 or leave it wide open for full vacuum and normal low speed operation.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Adam Cifonelli
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by montman
Have you had a hearing test lately? It may be that you wish it was louder because your hearing is declining. I know from experience.
You get a nice sound from the npp fuse pulled. Im getting headers also and I think it will be perfect. Some people love the loud rumble.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustment for NPP exhaust

Old 02-16-2018, 03:16 PM
montman
Pro

Don't know if this would work or be too much of a pita. I assume if would have been before done if it did. I wonder if a proportioning valve in the vacuum line would work to control the valves at lower speeds. Dial in a little less vacuum to open the valves a little under 3500 or leave it wide open for full vacuum and normal low speed operation.
Yes, it would work, but around town in stop and go traffic the engine vacuum is constantly fluctuating. On the highway, or with cruise control on, it would probably work fine. Good idea. If GM had designed this with all electronic actuation, it would have been easy to put a control on the steering wheel to fine tune the sound exactly how you like it.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:27 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Npp

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I feel you. I am considering LT headers too with X pipe (and hi-flow cats). Do it right if you're gonna do it. I don't think the NPP is too loud. Nothing that's OEM is "TOO" loud, or too powerful, or too anything... There are a lot of things that can be improved & enhanced of Corvettes - something GM should have already done, but they never do due to Politics...or who knows...

my previous ride ( '98 Z28 ), had LT headers, 3" collectors, into a single 4" in / out flowmaster muffler. that thing sounded awesome!
going to the LS3 with, the NPP, was actually a step down noise-wise.
i will at some point get headers added.
then a CAI.
then cam.
then some head work.
then...
...sorry about that, wishful thinking.
but some day maybe.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Probably costs less than the kit from nakidparts, but that's what I got. It works very well: 2 split-collar, stainless steel, and one long handle allen wrench. I had to adjust it to get it "quiet" enough for no-drone and late-nite noise, but it works very well. As to the adjustment for long-distance driving, I have none. It's just loud enough to hear, but not loud to affect a long ride.

Quick Reply: Adjustment for NPP exhaust