C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Journey begins: This Saturday. Would Love to hear from you guys!!!

Hey guys,

I can't believe this is the ONLY way for me to buy a Corvette - it's deja vu. Back in 2005 I bought a C5 from MI and drove to CA. I kept you guys posted about the trip/process, although I was more active on C5 Forum.com back then.

AFter losing my C5 last year in an unfortunate accident, i've been without a Vette for over a year now. So now, I'm getting a C6 - this time from Tulsa, OK area. It's a 2008 Arctic White, Black Vert top, Black int, A6, LT3, 32,XXX miles.

Chris, the seller (also a CF member) has been good in communication and co-operative through the process. Process: Car had lien on it, bank held the title. I asked Chris to take the car to Chevy dealer for inspection (I paid for it over the phone). Inspection came clear. I sent a Cashier's check to his bank, got the funds transferred. And all done! I was supposed to pick up the car last week, but due to health issue I wasn't able to go.

Trip: This Sat flying to Tulsa, returning to SF Bay Area (via Los Angeles). I reach there late evening and will stay at an airport hotel. Get the car on Sun morning and drive it back from Tulsa to LA.

Now starts the trip planning, services that need to be done on my new (new to me) C6, and mods going forward .
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Since you already bought it why not just have it shipped? Probably save you time and money in the end.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats to you!!

Here's to a very safe trip!!
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

First, congratulations.

Second, to each his or her own.

However....keep in mind that I love my vette and I have owned nearly a half dozen of them over the years and driven them a lot...I don't think I would attempt to drive one halfway across the country. Check for a shipping quote.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C6KWJ
Since you already bought it why not just have it shipped? Probably save you time and money in the end.
Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
First, congratulations.

Second, to each his or her own.

However....keep in mind that I love my vette and I have owned nearly a half dozen of them over the years and driven them a lot...I don't think I would attempt to drive one halfway across the country. Check for a shipping quote.
I did look into shipping. Wasted entire last week. Too much drama, and a bidding war among brokers. In the end, no driver available. And too many online horror stories with shipping companies, late delivery, not meeting timeline, damage to the car, changing prices last mintue, etc

I think this would be a good opportunity to bond with my new car, get to know it; and when would I have the time to be just alone with my Vette, just driving it senselessly...Lol. Once I'm in the Bay area, the same ol' routine. I agree it is a lot to take on, and honestly, I am somewhat nervous too. The car has been sitting in Chris's garage for about 2 weeks now since I paid for it already. He's been patient too; I need to get the car out of there as well. So all in all, make it fun...

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Congrats. on your C6, and here's too the best driving it back home..............

sounds like you have a plan and hopefully good weather for your route and travels............

should be no worries driving back............ drove mine from MI to SD and WY this past summer for a vacation................ 3600+ miles in 8 days..............

made to be driven and enjoyed in my opinion...............
SK '08 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I did look into shipping. Wasted entire last week. Too much drama, and a bidding war among brokers. In the end, no driver available. And too many online horror stories with shipping companies, late delivery, not meeting timeline, damage to the car, changing prices last mintue, etc

I think this would be a good opportunity to bond with my new car, get to know it; and when would I have the time to be just alone with my Vette, just driving it senselessly...Lol. Once I'm in the Bay area, the same ol' routine. I agree it is a lot to take on, and honestly, I am somewhat nervous too. The car has been sitting in Chris's garage for about 2 weeks now since I paid for it already. He's been patient too; I need to get the car out of there as well. So all in all, make it fun...
Have a ball driving the car home. Take 66 as much as you can and enjoy the car as you travel. I have done this twice and it has been a blast for my wife as well as myself in driving the cars home after purchase.

Good on yoU.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Congrats and have great trip home
Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM
BRussell
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Have a ball driving the car home. Take 66 as much as you can and enjoy the car as you travel. I have done this twice and it has been a blast for my wife as well as myself in driving the cars home after purchase.

Good on yoU.

We took our 2012 GS on the 2014 NCM Caravan. Total miles R/T were almost 5700, 26.5 mpg and 22 days on the road. A C6 is a safe, comfortable and very fun car to travel in! Have a great trip and be safe. Bob
Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Enjoy the ride home! Last month I bought my C6 conv from a gentleman in Hilton Head and drove it home to Atlanta 300 miles with the top down the whole way. Only a 6 hour drive, but a great 1st ride.
Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ssnobrakes:
Olsarge (02-16-2018), Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good luck! Enjoy the ride. Don't forget to ck via accuweather a couple days in advance of each small town/city on your planned route to see how it's going to be. Then, if needed, you can adjust the route.

Take some pics along the route, maybe when you stop at nite or start in the morning. Then, post up when you get home. Safe travels.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

That should be a lot of fun. Take someone with you, just to keep you company. I would want to plan a route ahead of time, but you may want to see some sites along the way. As far as the trip goes, I wouldnt worry about it. Take your time. I've done 8 hrs in a Z06 at one time, no big deal. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Don't forget your Eric Clapton...(Living on Tulsa Time) and enjoy the trip!

Last edited by jdvann; 02-15-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rkj427
Congrats. on your C6, and here's too the best driving it back home......

sounds like you have a plan and hopefully good weather for your route and travels... should be no worries driving back......drove mine from MI to SD and WY this past summer for a vacation...... 3600+ miles in 8 days.... made to be driven and enjoyed in my opinion....
Wow 3600+ miles sound amazing. I have the plan to get there, that's about it; not much of a plan after that...hahaha..

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Good on yoU.
I have been researching route 66. It's said to be historic. However, I saw a Youtube video where a traveler's car was broken into while they were having lunch. Also said that there are robberies on route 66 and broken into out of state cars. Secondly, it's seems like a 2 lane highway, with slower speeds due to the type of road it is. It's not an Interstate Freeway with 75 MPH (at least it seems that way. I don't know much about it). And lastly, not sure is I'd run into snow or heavy rains.

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
That should be a lot of fun. Take someone with you, just to keep you company. I would want to plan a route ahead of time, but you may want to see some sites along the way. As far as the trip goes, I wouldnt worry about it. Take your time. I've done 8 hrs in a Z06 at one time, no big deal. Let us know how it goes.
I'll be doing 8 hours or more each day, about 5 days on the road.

Please feel free to give Advise.
Oh, I'll update posts daily. And I'd post pix, but I forgot how to. Been a while

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-15-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:32 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I have been researching route 66. It's said to be historic. However, I saw a Youtube video where a traveler's car was broken into while they were having lunch. Also said that there are robberies on route 66 and broken into out of state cars. Secondly, it's seems like a 2 lane highway, with slower speeds due to the type of road it is. It's not an Interstate Freeway with 75 MPH (at least it seems that way. I don't know much about it). And lastly, not sure is I'd run into snow or heavy rains.

Route 66, the TV show.

Aha, Suzanne Pleshette in the middle. Now that's the way to travel. What could go wrong?

Last edited by Bruze; 02-15-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze

Aha, Suzanne Pleshette in the middle. Now that's the way to travel. What could go wrong?

Suzanne Pleshette??? Man, you're giving away your age!!! Loved her when she was younger and loved her when she was Bob Newharts wife...passed away at a very young 70.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Wow 3600+ miles sound amazing. I have the plan to get there, that's about it; not much of a plan after that...hahaha..
Speaking from experience usually the best plan is no plan at all! And don't be so obsessed with highways, get off the Interstates and travel the backroads, a little longer time-wise but A LOT better memory-wise! Enjoy the trip and especially the car, safe travels and keep us up to date...

Get notified of new replies

To - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 AM
SK '08
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll be doing 8 hours or more each day, about 5 days on the road.

My wife and I have made 3 safe trips along Route 66 from Wisconsin to Cali/ Arizona and back. Took our Corvette last year ! I wouldn't worry too much about getting robbed or getting the car broken into as long as you are in a public area during the daytime.

Have a safe memorable trip with your C6, looking forward to seeing your pics !
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
Suzanne Pleshette??? Man, you're giving away your age!!! Loved her when she was younger and loved her when she was Bob Newharts wife...passed away at a very young 70.
Yup, very beautiful. Died of lung cancer I believe.

Yes, from this vantage point, 70 is certainly not "old."
Old 02-15-2018, 09:17 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I did a 10hr drive when I picked up my 08Z last year, 367 days ago to be exact! I usually hate driving anything more then 3 hours, yet that was the best 10hrs I have ever spent in a car. I will certainty remember the trip for a long time to come.

Quick Reply: - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -