C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Route 66, the TV show.

Aha, Suzanne Pleshette in the middle. Now that's the way to travel. What could go wrong?

wernt they gay?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not sure how much sand/gravel may be on some of the roads you will travel left from winter storm treatments but a little painters tape in critical areas can protect your nose and mirrors from paint chips. Sounds like a blast to me, congrats on the vette and enjoy the drive.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

As most people have said it is no big deal. Just enjoy the trip and the car. I have done 21 day 4,600 mi and 17 day 4,200 mi trips in my '12 GS. Now it is my DD, and I would never change that. Very
Old 02-15-2018, 11:48 AM
alj357
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the decision to drive it! I bet it's going to be ALOT of fun. Sorry that you got the run around with shipping.
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Not sure how much sand/gravel may be on some of the roads you will travel left from winter storm treatments but a little painters tape in critical areas can protect your nose and mirrors from paint chips. Sounds like a blast to me, congrats on the vette and enjoy the drive.
You're right on the Money! I am concerned about the road gravel/rocks. I would have gotten the auto wrap sheets that dealers use, but not enough time to order online. Besides, $90 for stupid sheet is a lot. Chris does have a front nose bra. I was thinking of covering the front with BLUE painter's tape and putting the bra on it to avoid scratches. Mirrors and mud flap areas covered with Blue painter's tape or some white/clear plastic wrap - - not exactly sure what I'm gonna use, but Blue tape for sure..

Originally Posted by GREENKAR
As most people have said it is no big deal. Just enjoy the trip and the car. I have done 21 day 4,600 mi and 17 day 4,200 mi trips in my '12 GS. Now it is my DD, and I would never change that. Very
That's awesome. Please share if you drove alone or had a wingman/lady?
What "Tire protection kit" did you have? I don't have run-flats.
What other items did you take with you for Yourself & the Car for such a tip?

Thanks guys... keep it coming.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default welcome back

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Journey begins: This Saturday. Would Love to hear from you guys!!!

Hey guys,

I can't believe this is the ONLY way for me to buy a Corvette - it's deja vu. Back in 2005 I bought a C5 from MI and drove to CA. I kept you guys posted about the trip/process, although I was more active on C5 Forum.com back then.

AFter losing my C5 last year in an unfortunate accident, i've been without a Vette for over a year now. So now, I'm getting a C6 - this time from Tulsa, OK area. It's a 2008 Arctic White, Black Vert top, Black int, A6, LT3, 32,XXX miles.

Chris, the seller (also a CF member) has been good in communication and co-operative through the process. Process: Car had lien on it, bank held the title. I asked Chris to take the car to Chevy dealer for inspection (I paid for it over the phone). Inspection came clear. I sent a Cashier's check to his bank, got the funds transferred. And all done! I was supposed to pick up the car last week, but due to health issue I wasn't able to go.

Trip: This Sat flying to Tulsa, returning to SF Bay Area (via Los Angeles). I reach there late evening and will stay at an airport hotel. Get the car on Sun morning and drive it back from Tulsa to LA.

Now starts the trip planning, services that need to be done on my new (new to me) C6, and mods going forward .

congrats! hope all goes well on the ride back.
i'll be coming back through Oklahoma in may. heading out on road trip with my daughter ( heading north from SF to Idaho-Montana-mt. rushmore-toledo-"bowling green!"-then back home via rte. 66.
was thinking about stopping by Midwest street cars ("street outlaws") too. heading to vegas then home.
it all goes was planned, almost 6k miles, in 10 days!
driving is genetic in our family.

can't wait!

congrats again!
Vette_Fan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:45 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
...I don't think I would attempt to drive one halfway across the country...
Wow, can't say I agree with that. I bought a vette in Phoenix and drove it to Washington, bought one in Mississippi and drove it to Washington, and bought one in Michigan and drove it to Arizona.
Watch the weather and enjoy the drive.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default road trip

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Wow, can't say I agree with that. I bought a vette in Phoenix and drove it to Washington, bought one in Mississippi and drove it to Washington, and bought one in Michigan and drove it to Arizona.
Watch the weather and enjoy the drive.

I have the problem of driving too much. I don't even need a destination. I hate commute driving, but when in the 'vette, it's at least tolerable. our family would regularly drive from ohio to California on vacations. not as much fun as a kid, but that disappeared at 15.
my record is 5400 miles in 4 days. that was in a rental car, can't till may when it's the 'vettes turn!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:01 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...I have been researching route 66. It's said to be historic...
If you were going on Hwy 40 it would be fun to take Rte 66 from Seligman to Oatman but the weather would be too cold for me.
Hwy 44/10 is the best route.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
wernt they gay?
Don't know if I've ever heard that or not.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

And remember the Eagles, "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona".

Name:  TakeItEasy_WinslowAZ.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  428.2 KB
cgladish (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default winslow, arizona

Originally Posted by Jeff T.

Attachment 48255160

forgot about that, i'll add it to my may itinerary!

thanks!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.

Attachment 48255160
Yes!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
and leave a little distance from the car in front of you to reduce the odds of getting hit by debris.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 PM
CaPilotMark
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reach out to my buddy Chuck at Corvettes918. He lives in the Tulsa area and can help you if you need anything. He has a great youtube channel, and belongs to a huge club in the Tulsa area. Tell him Mark (CaPilotMark) sent you!

Last edited by CaPilotMark; 02-15-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
First, congratulations.

Second, to each his or her own.

However....keep in mind that I love my vette and I have owned nearly a half dozen of them over the years and driven them a lot...I don't think I would attempt to drive one halfway across the country. Check for a shipping quote.
I've driven across the US more than a dozen times. Mostly in other cars, but quite a few times in Vettes, Quite a few solo. In Vettes.

Next time you buy a Vette (or other fun car) from the other side of this amazing nation, I will drive it home for you and deliver it to you door.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:30 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
If you were going on Hwy 40 it would be fun to take Rte 66 from Seligman to Oatman but the weather would be too cold for me. Hwy 44/10 is the best route.
After a careful analysis, I won't be driving on route 66. It's too rough, single lane, bumps/potholes, slow speeds, and the weather may not be too Vette friendly. I will have other opportunities to catch scenery on the way.

I am considering taking the Southern route (without going too far South):

Tulsa (Hwy 44) > OK City (I-40) > Pheonix (Hwy 10) > LA.

A lil' confusion is OK City to Pheonix - - Google Maps shows a route via Tonto National Forest (concerned about weather and the forest road conditions); another option is via Tucson (which would add more miles via Hwy-25 South). From Pheonix to LA is smooth sailing.

Recommendations Please???

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 02-16-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Journey begins: This Saturday. Would Love to hear from you guys!!!

Hey guys,

I can't believe this is the ONLY way for me to buy a Corvette - it's deja vu. Back in 2005 I bought a C5 from MI and drove to CA. I kept you guys posted about the trip/process, although I was more active on C5 Forum.com back then.

AFter losing my C5 last year in an unfortunate accident, i've been without a Vette for over a year now. So now, I'm getting a C6 - this time from Tulsa, OK area. It's a 2008 Arctic White, Black Vert top, Black int, A6, LT3, 32,XXX miles.

Chris, the seller (also a CF member) has been good in communication and co-operative through the process. Process: Car had lien on it, bank held the title. I asked Chris to take the car to Chevy dealer for inspection (I paid for it over the phone). Inspection came clear. I sent a Cashier's check to his bank, got the funds transferred. And all done! I was supposed to pick up the car last week, but due to health issue I wasn't able to go.

Trip: This Sat flying to Tulsa, returning to SF Bay Area (via Los Angeles). I reach there late evening and will stay at an airport hotel. Get the car on Sun morning and drive it back from Tulsa to LA.

Now starts the trip planning, services that need to be done on my new (new to me) C6, and mods going forward .
Go for it !
Flew from Pittsburgh to Florida and drove 900 miles back to West Virginia in a C4. Listened to CD's and played with a Mustang in Atlanta. At motel in the Carolinas I slept on bed with my head at the end of the bed to keep an eye on it. For me, it was a thrill !! That C4 was my first Corvette.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

After a careful analysis, I won't be driving on route 66. It's too rough, single lane, bumps/potholes, slow speeds, and the weather may not be too Vette friendly. I will have other opportunities to catch scenery on the way.

I am considering taking the Southern route (without going too far South):

Tulsa (Hwy 44) > OK City (I-40) > Pheonix (Hwy 10) > LA.

A lil' confusion is OK City to Pheonix - - Google Maps shows a route via Tonto National Forest (concerned about weather and the forest road conditions); another option is via Tucson (which would add more miles via Hwy-25 South). From Pheonix to LA is smooth sailing.

Recommendations Please???
Not sure on your plans for time, but Dallas is about 3-1/2 hours or so south of OK City, and from here you can catch I-20 to I-10 West. Speed limit on I-20 once you get into west Texas is 80 mph (I usually set the cruise at 90), with very little in between towns. Roads are great, straight, and easy to spot any LEO's as it's completely flat.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-16-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:13 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Good to hear you decided to go get it yourself. Should be a fun drive. And I would most definitely use the seller's bra for the trip. Just make sure it and the car are clean before putting it on. If the bra gets wet along the way, remove and dry and then put it back on. It will be well worth any hassle it might cause. Safe travels!

Quick Reply: - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -