C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Old 02-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Pump77
Link to internet site for I-40 weather conditions / forcasts.
http://www.i40highway.com/i-40-weather/

I have used this or similar sites for trip planning.
Sleet/ice in OK City /Tulsa area for Wednesday. So drive to Amarillo might be touchy on Wed. But Thursday on appears to be clearing but with lows in the sub-teens all the way through Flagstaff.
I am going to avoid I-40 via OK city - Amarillo route Wed is my planned day to start. I figured instead of wasting the day in a hotel room in Tulsa, I am going to start driving south to TX.

Speaking of TX they have a STRONG Thunderstorm right now. I am sitting at the SFO airport right now... my flight to Dallas is delayed by over an hour. They don't know if I'll make the connecting flight to Tulsa. So I'm not too pleased with Dallas either. Man, living in the Bay area we get spoilt and don't have to deal with weather issues - we tend to think just pick up a bag and go anywhere.... Lol.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes it is wonderful re weather....except when you get Loma Prieta and an 880 double-decker collapse.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I am going to avoid I-40 via OK city - Amarillo route Wed is my planned day to start. I figured instead of wasting the day in a hotel room in Tulsa, I am going to start driving south to TX.

Speaking of TX they have a STRONG Thunderstorm right now. I am sitting at the SFO airport right now... my flight to Dallas is delayed by over an hour. They don't know if I'll make the connecting flight to Tulsa. So I'm not too pleased with Dallas either. Man, living in the Bay area we get spoilt and don't have to deal with weather issues - we tend to think just pick up a bag and go anywhere.... Lol.
It's more just heavy rain than a real Texas thunderstorm. I just got home from downtown where I work, and the rain is coming down hard, but no lightning.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Amarillo, TX April 29, 2017. It was fine the next day driving West to Santa Fe.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2018, 12:13 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It's more just heavy rain than a real Texas thunderstorm. I just got home from downtown where I work, and the rain is coming down hard, but no lightning.
So now I'm stuck at the DFW airport - Tulsa flight delayed due to weather. If I'm lucky, it will fly at 11:55 PM now!

BTW, I just realized ED, you're in the DFW area ...what are your recommendations for driving here tomorrow? How bad was it today (since all the flights were getting delayed coming into DFW)? Good thing I'm carrying a laptop, keeps me entertained
Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Amarillo, TX April 29, 2017. It was fine the next day driving West to Santa Fe.
That looks like a scene from a horror movie
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Enjoy your trip! My wife and I went from South Dakota to Oregon and back and a bunch of other places in an 11 day trip. We put on about 4,500 miles and had a blast. If the car makes it the first 50 miles without any issues it will make it the entire trip. C-6 Corvettes are very dependable and you should be good to go. Have a great trip!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

So now I'm stuck at the DFW airport - Tulsa flight delayed due to weather. If I'm lucky, it will fly at 11:55 PM now!

BTW, I just realized ED, you're in the DFW area ...what are your recommendations for driving here tomorrow? How bad was it today (since all the flights were getting delayed coming into DFW)? Good thing I'm carrying a laptop, keeps me entertained
Yesterday had periods of heavy rain, but so far this morning the rain has been spotty, and not very heavy at all. When driving through keep an eye out for the people who think they have to go 40 mph on the highway if it's even slightly wet. Ironically, these are the same people who will go 70 mph with a foot of ice on the road.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joeking
Enjoy your trip! My wife and I went from South Dakota to Oregon and back and a bunch of other places in an 11 day trip. We put on about 4,500 miles and had a blast. If the car makes it the first 50 miles without any issues it will make it the entire trip. C-6 Corvettes are very dependable and you should be good to go. Have a great trip!
Sounds great! Can I borrow your wife for the trip; I'm driving by myself that's the sucky part. But it's my new C6 - so that's the fun part.

Yesterday had periods of heavy rain, but so far this morning the rain has been spotty, and not very heavy at all. When driving through keep an eye out for the people who think they have to go 40 mph on the highway if it's even slightly wet. Ironically, these are the same people who will go 70 mph with a foot of ice on the road.
I am considering going to OK City right now. It's cold as heck but no ice that I can see, so might as well gather up some miles. Last night Dallas was a mess, so I am considering NOT going to Dallas. After OK city, I'll see how it goes - either continue to Amarillo or head south...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Default I can't sleep...

So if you've read my posts you'll see I got into my hotel in Tulsa around 4AM last night due to flight delay in Dallas.

Chris calls me this morning around 8AM, says he's in the lobby to drop the car. He had actually parked it at the airport last night next to my hotel. So we both drive to the airport parking. I see it from a distance and begin drooling... I mean, this car is a model in a bikini from a distance.

I drive it back to the hotel where he gives me the paperwork/title/keys/etc. Verts sure have a tiny trunk but what a great looking car... I should be trying to get some sleep, especially since my checkout is tomorrow 11am. But I can't sleep; I wanna go driving right now. So, I'll check out soon after I take a hot shower and get my bags together.

Oh, you guys wanna see pix I know. I forgot how to post them, but I'll attach the link to the original sale thread for you all to see. Sure looks intoxicating in person though...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596639411

Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Sounds great! Can I borrow your wife for the trip; I'm driving by myself that's the sucky part. But it's my new C6 - so that's the fun part.

I am considering going to OK City right now. It's cold as heck but no ice that I can see, so might as well gather up some miles. Last night Dallas was a mess, so I am considering NOT going to Dallas. After OK city, I'll see how it goes - either continue to Amarillo or head south...
No rain in Dallas right now. It's overcast, but I just went and grabbed lunch, and not a drop in sight.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Glad to hear you are finally behind the wheel. I hope the car is all you hoped and more, be safe and enjoy your drive. Keep us updated !!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Vette_Fan (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like a great time. Enjoy your new car. Maybe somewhere along the way you can put the top down.
Vette_Fan (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Enjoy the ride, stay safe!!!
Vette_Fan (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Default Update - Day 1

So I leave Tulsa for OK city. Tulsa was cold but no rain/ice/etc and traffic was going West about 75mph on 44.

I was trying to wipe off my smile that won't go - it is everything I hoped it would be and met my expectations. And since I had owned a C5 for 11 yrs, the controls, seating, position, height all felt very familiar & comfortable However, the C6 seems a much-upgraded version with clean lines/etc. An hour later ice-rain starts . I know snow, but ice-rain is something else. Took an exit to get gas and McDonald's. About 10 semi-truckers parked. Weather getting worse by the minute.

After a long mental debate, I figure I'll continue. Coming out of the parking, I saw a charger fishtail in both directions for about 30 yards, it got saved, but I was worried. Anyhow, he got on the freeway and I did too. I couldn't park at a gas station and spend the night. So overall I was manually shifting my A6 to not lose the balance on ice. Most of the time I remained 3rd - 2nd and 15-35mph. I had my hazards on. I was the slowest car on the road - I mean everyone overtook me even while going slow. I had a bit of moment (a tiny fishtail). I called it day and got a room in OK City around 4 PM. Although I barely drove it today, I couldn't take a chance in slush and ice.

Tomorrow is hopefully a better day - I plan to go to Wichita Falls (44) > Abilene (277) > then get on 20-West and be home free. I took some pix of today's adventure but forgot how to post them. If someone can PM me the directions...

Later boys...
Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 PM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Be careful! I want you to get safely home, so you put those jacking pucks to good use!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:28 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Default Weather Gurus - ?

Originally Posted by Husker C6
Sounds like a great time. Enjoy your new car. Maybe somewhere along the way you can put the top down.
Originally Posted by leadfart
Be careful! I want you to get safely home, so you put those jacking pucks to good use!
I'm trying, Bob.

The Weather Gurus help me out - I'm stuck in Oklahoma City. I just went to the parking lot - there's 2" thick clear ice on the ground. I had to walk carefully, it's very slippery. The tire marks on ice seem like permanent design in the concrete. Car has ice sickles hanging under it. Under these conditions, I am not confident that tomorrow I'll be able to move go anywhere. Forecast says OK city is Icy tomorrow with 70% prep. Friday there's rain. I'm trying to get to LA by Sat afternoon now, can't do it by Friday. But I'm doubtful if Sat would be possible. TX is having flood warnings. I'm in the middle of this crazy weather. What recommendations do we have?

Get notified of new replies

To - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -

Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

^^^ Stay put until the weather improves. Not worth it.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I'm trying, Bob.

The Weather Gurus help me out - I'm stuck in Oklahoma City. I just went to the parking lot - there's 2" thick clear ice on the ground. I had to walk carefully, it's very slippery. The tire marks on ice seem like permanent design in the concrete. Car has ice sickles hanging under it. Under these conditions, I am not confident that tomorrow I'll be able to move go anywhere. Forecast says OK city is Icy tomorrow with 70% prep. Friday there's rain. I'm trying to get to LA by Sat afternoon now, can't do it by Friday. But I'm doubtful if Sat would be possible. TX is having flood warnings. I'm in the middle of this crazy weather. What recommendations do we have?
The weather here is rainy, but flooding is extremely limited. Drop down to Denton, TX via I35, take I35W (I35 splits in Denton to East and West) to Fort Worth, which will take you to I20. Stay put until that ice clears; it's not worth risking your new car, but as soon as you get a break, make a beeline south.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 02-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

It's raining heavy, but I think ice is getting melted. I do have a plan - in the worse case, I'm going to call AAA roadside and take a flat-bed tow truck to as far as I can go on I-40 West.

But for now, I'm going from OK city heading towards Amarillo on I-40.

From Amarillo to Lubbock - that's the goal for today :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: - C6 Purchase - So the 2000+ Miles Journey Begins -